Eaton vs. Auburn opinions/facts/advice

SyHopeful

I'm your huckleberry.
Since my GN wasn't blessed with the G80 code, I really need to end the one-wheel peel.

Looking around at prices for LSDs, I'm considering either a stock-style Eaton posi or an Auburn Pro. I'd love to hear from anybody who has experience with either or both. I do understand the Eatons are rebuildable whereas the Auburns aren't, but I have also been told the Auburns make up for that by being a good deal stouter. I'm looking to go with factory axles (I won't be running slicks anytime soon) unless someone highly recommends an upgrade while I have the rearend apart.

What I want is something that is 100% streetable; I drive my GN frequently. I want it to be fairly affordable but strong. I'm probably not even making enough power (yet ;) ) to overwhelm a factory Eaton, but if the Auburn Pro is truly stronger, and it's only ~$10-20 more, I might as well splurge.

So....Eaton or Auburn Pro?

TIA :)

Eaton is the ticket. i talked to Billy Anderson about this when I changed my stock internals to something that could handle more abuse. He said Eaton all the way. they are Rebuildable and last longer. I can't comment on the Auburn being stronger tho, I think thats more of a myth then anything else.

A good used OEM posi unit will take alot of abuse, and are plentiful, IMO, go with a 30 spline Eaton if/ when you need axles

Jim T

I almost went with a Detroit Locker , but heard some bad feedback on it , there are alot of guys running in the 10's and probably some in the high 9's using the 30 spline Eaton. Almost every magazine article on fast GN'S, Turbo-t's say that they are using the Eaton or a spool , and I have never heard anyone say anything bad about the Eaton. I bought one to use behind a 700HP+ stage 2 turbo-t , maybe someone running a stage 2 car with an Eaton could chime in about there experience with the Eaton . JEFF

I too was forced to choose some time ago when I purchased my GN without the G80 option. I went with an Eaton and haven't had a problem yet. My GN is nowhere near a daily driver so I can't comment on how long the unit will last. I am happy with the price and performance.

Good luck with whatever your choice may be.

FS

I have put about 15K miles on my Auburn Pro with 30 spline Mosers and I must say that this thing can plant some power. The shop that put it in had a 7.5" Eaton laying around and we compared them. Not too much difference in strength based on looks. He said that most of his customers come in and request Eaton, however when questioned, both of his drag cars had Auburn Pros and one other car had the new Auburn ETEC locker. He told me that it was a wise decision, since you will have to do a lot of abuse to render one in need of a rebuild, so don't let the rebuildable differences weigh your opinion too much.

I just bought the eaton from moser and went with 30 spline axles.I am also going to be running the lpw rear brace with ulimate rear cover and the axle tubes have been welded to the housing. Moser tried selling me their 12 bolt setup. but its not cheap.

I'm thinking it all comes down to matter of choice. Either way you go, you can't go wrong. Been doing my research for quite a while. I leaning towards the Auburn Pro, 30 spline Mosers and a T/A cover. Since Auburn came out with the exhcange program, their unit is kinda hard to beat.