Eaton locker vs tru trac

tsaltario

Still learning!!!!!
Hello everybody, wanted to get opinions on upgrading my rear end. I'm pretty sure I've burnt up the clutches in the factory posi unit, last fall it was a peg leg.. It's getting closer to that time of getting her pulled out for the spring, and I've narrowed my options down to either a full eaton (detroit) locker, or the tru trac they have....

My car has been dynoed at 459HP at the wheels, so there's a bit of jam there. the car will only see the track MAYBE once a year, mostly street driven, and I will be driving it in less than ideal weather conditions some times...

But I want something that will stand up to hard driving... (That's why I spent the $ getting the motor to what it is)...

So please chime in here with thoughts. I don't want to go crazy and change the entire rear end,,, budget/wife concerns! LOL...

I was thinking of keeping the stock 28 spline axles too..

Let me know about your experiences/thoughts please!!
Thanks

TJ

Imo

Save some $ and put new clutches and Z spring in the stock unit. But if you MUST, go with the Eaton for straight line and the Tru Trac for curves or so I've been told. If I was going to upgrade the posi unit then you might as well spend another $300 and get 30 spline axles. Best of luck.

I looked into just re-building the stock unit, but was told it will be as much, or more than either of these upgrades?

Bull

I looked into just re-building the stock unit, but was told it will be as much, or more than either of these upgrades?

I believe I can buy GM rebuild pieces for under $150 (my price). Now if you can't do it yourself--I don't know. It is really pretty simple.

Hmmm, might need to look into that some more... not in a big rush to spend $600 +++....

I'm assuming GM will sell the clutches/springs etc,,, anyone know if there are a more performance oriented clutch pack for our stock units?

Thanks

TJ

I bought an auburn posi unit and moser 28 spline axles and had them replaced and setup in a local shop in 1997 and have never had any problems with the rearend.The only reason i mention the auburn unit is it's one of the cheaper ones available but can't be rebuilt but is plenty durable.

This was one of the best upgrades i did for the money spent,11 years and still going. :smile:

Well if anyone is thinking on buying a auburn unit. They need to do a google search on that carrier. I had one burn out in 6 months, they are junk. :mad: Just get eaton