Professional Style Auto Diagnostics? Need some opinions/advice.

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
I have been contemplating purchasing a diagnostic tool (scope or graph or ?) for being able to better diagnose the little crap that pops up now and again on some of my dd's.

I have a basic OBDII scanner called ScanGaugeII http://www.scangauge.com/ It's very helpful and useful for some things but is lacking when I need more info to diagnose.

Besides the Buicks, I have cars as old as 1997 and as new as 2004. (Hopefully, a newer model one of these days...) Anyway, my initial reading on the subject has me confused as there are various platforms that may or may not be supported.

I am not a mechanic. That being said, I'm looking to buy something that a mechanic might use in order to better diagnose issues. I'd like the tool to be comprehensive and cover a multitude of models, be upgradeable and be relatively easy to use and understand. (I don't have the time or patience to learn a super complex system). Finally, I would like for the tool to be relatively affordable.

I don't think this would be an item I'd use all the time so it doesn't need to cost thousands of dollars (like in a pro-shop). I'm just getting tired of dealing with stupid stuff that I should be able to diagnose on my own and I'm starting to think that this is just one of those tools that is going to be necessary for all cars in the near future.

I'm hoping some of the mechanics and computer experts here might be able to guide me in the right direction.

I'm no expert(i drive a truck) but I do repair our vehicles. I bought an autoxray. It is upgradable through their website. The only thing I would want that it doesn't do it the airbag and antilock brakes. I have been looking for a piece to do those things and have.it narrowed down to one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004OOJ9RI/ref=aw_ls_3_7?colid=U8S3YFNP1ACD&coliid=I2D86A9TCWBS01
I have looked into a snap on "brick" and a graphing meter like an mt2400 but my budget is small.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Definatly neither are professional but the price tag isn't either. The autoxray has done all the diagnostic stuff I have needed but my newest vehicle is 2003 so being up to date isn't that high on my list. The snapon brick is a good piece but it isn't up to date any more either. If you want cutting edge you need a big budget.

I understand. My scan gauge is good for reading codes, letting me erase codes and for basic monitoring with obdII.

Lately, I've been fighting with a few issues on other cars. I feel like I have exhausted all the basic trouble shooting methods and still cannot find the issues. Someone mentioned to me that I should find a decent scope or graph tool in order to better diagnose and pinpoint the problems... (That, or take it to a shop where I'd be at their mercy)-- I'd really like to try to tackle this on my own and I figure the cost of the tool would be an investment as I will likely have use for it in the future.

One of the reasons I have been watching for a mt2400 graphing meter with the volt deal to test coils.

Looks like an updated unit with mt2400-like capabilities. Electricity is such a "black art" as you can't "see" it.
When I run into the unsolveable, I hit forums with gearheads and owners to see if someone else has solved my or similar problems. One of the reasons this place is so great. Not much the old guys haven't seen.
Out strips my budget at $400, I've been trying to get the mt2400 w/ accessories for like $150 shipped. Just have to get lucky. Like an old distributor machine, things get obsolete and therefor cheap even though they still work.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

How does it work? Will it work on a tablet, or do you need a laptop? With a usb to microusb do you think it will work to my phone?

It needs a Windows based laptop/netbook/pad and a standard USB. Supposed to be delivered today. I'll try to get it going and get back on how it works. The software is on a disc so you will need a reader if you don't have an internal disc player or maybe copy the disc to a jump drive.

My brother-in-laws BMW is doing some funky cold start stuff without a code and I wanted to capture the data and review it a-la Powerlogger style. Seems this will do that.

Well, I looked up the software and got this:
http://www.obdsoftware.net/default.aspx
They do make phone apps too. Check it out.

Last edited:
Fiddled around with it on the wife's Subby. Pretty impressive. Lots to see. They offer an add on with more things to work with and ability to have separate vehicles stored which might be helpful.

Cool, might have to spring for one. Just have to pry the laptop loose from my son. He has been hinting at assembling a new unit for his gaming.

I've got lots of scanners....from launch, snap on motis, and small hand helds....lap tops, BT duns for my droid even..my go to scanner is my OTC genisys....(I also have a Matco determinator, the same one basically for back up)..live data and logging is a snap...buy one used on evil bay for $500....get 3.0 memory card or newer.....make sure all the makes you're gonna need are loaded....you can even add a scope.., update it yourself, has code explanations for the model you're working on,fast fixes, etc, etc.......I love mine......hth

Last edited: