e85 update

It depends who you talk to. Some people say tune it like you would gas, and some say go leaner. I have read quite a bit on the subject (including other boost forums like evos, supras, turbo neons) and my conclusion is the tune is going to be happiest around 11.4, which will still be plenty rich as some tune to around 13 without issues. We all know that every car is a little different though so there is no 1 magic number.

edit: I should mention that I'm thinking closer to 30#'s with my above statements. At 20#'s 11.5 AFR should not be an issue.

Interesting. I'll try it once I"m comfortable with this initial tuning we're doing. Why so much leaner at 30lbs, if you meant 13 AFR?

Interesting. I'll try it once I"m comfortable with this initial tuning we're doing. Why so much leaner at 30lbs, if you meant 13 AFR?
I said to go a little fatter with 30#'s, 11.5 to 11.4. I said some people (not so much in buicks) have leaned out to 13's, however I would not recommend it.

It depends who you talk to. Some people say tune it like you would gas, and some say go leaner. I have read quite a bit on the subject (including other boost forums like evos, supras, turbo neons) and my conclusion is the tune is going to be happiest around 11.4, which will still be plenty rich as some tune to around 13 without issues. We all know that every car is a little different though so there is no 1 magic number.

edit: I should mention that I'm thinking closer to 30#'s with my above statements. At 20#'s 11.5 AFR should not be an issue.

You do not tune E85 as
Thanks for the clarification

Are you tuning your AF according to the fuel energy constant or by gas with stock ECM or XFI.

Leaner if the power density is low, richer if the power density is high. Just like Raf said.

as?

Classic FAST via WB 02 I assume

When you are tuning E85, your VE are actually going to be lower. So if your idle VE is 40 with gas, then with E85 your VE is going to be around 28-30. 80s on E85 would be able to support the same power 42s would on gas. When using E85 the 30% rule never seems to actually work out, so you usually need to double your injector size with a FP base of 45psi. With the classic, you don't have the fuel energy constant option. So you need to adjust your TARGET FP according to gas:E85. Your perfect stoichiometric air fuel ratio for gas is 14.7 in turns equals 9.8 on E85...... Now if under, you want to shoot for a gas AF of 9.37 = 7.35 E85. This will go the same with the SD chip.... It is similar to the classic until Bob and Eric get the fuel constant working. Now this target AF is only a baseline. If the car wants the fuel, give it to it...... With E85, You can run more timing and more boost.

I said to go a little fatter with 30#'s, 11.5 to 11.4. I said some people (not so much in buicks) have leaned out to 13's, however I would not recommend it.

That is pretty lean, you still have almost 2 percent of AF to use. E85 loves high compression and boost.

When you are tuning E85, your VE are actually going to be lower. So if your idle VE is 40 with gas, then with E85 your VE is going to be around 28-30. 80s on E85 would be able to support the same power 42s would on gas. When using E85 the 30% rule never seems to actually work out, so you usually need to double your injector size with a FP base of 45psi. With the classic, you don't have the fuel energy constant option. So you need to adjust your TARGET FP according to gas:E85. Your perfect stoichiometric air fuel ratio for gas is 14.7 in turns equals 9.8 on E85...... Now if under, you want to shoot for a gas AF of 9.37 = 7.35 E85. This will go the same with the SD chip.... It is similar to the classic until Bob and Eric get the fuel constant working. Now this target AF is only a baseline. If the car wants the fuel, give it to it...... With E85, You can run more timing and more boost.

Double the injector size would flow 100% more, not 50% more. Also 7.35 is about is about 11.1 on the gas scale. Under boost aiming for a 9.37 sounds pretty damn rich to me....if that's what you mean by "now if under".

Double the injector size would flow 100% more, not 50% more. Also 7.35 is about is about 11.1 on the gas scale. Under boost aiming for a 9.37 sounds pretty damn rich to me....if that's what you mean by "now if under".
9.37 is pretty lean on an E85 scale. I will disagree with you, and so will many others. You are currently running 120s to achieve the same thing that you could with 55s.

I target 6.6 on the e85 scale at 30psi. At 13psi I target 7.3 as a reference.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

9.37 is pretty lean on an E85 scale. I will disagree with you, and so will many others. You are currently running 120s to achieve the same thing that you could with 55s.

You're not making sense here. You said "Now if under, you want to shoot for a gas AF of 9.37 = 7.35 E85" To me that sentence reads under boost you want to aim for a 9.37 on the gas scale which comes out to a 7.35 on the E85 scale. Is that not what you meant? I said that 9.37 seems rich which I thought was obvious that I was talking about the gas scale, as you were just talking about that number on the gas scale. Now if you are talking about running boost at 9.37 on the E85 scale, then yes it would be lean as that translates to about a 14:1 on the gas scale. And again 9.37 on the gas scale will not equal 7.35 on the E85 scale. 9.37 would be more like 6.2 on the E85 scale, which is rich as all hell. However going the other way 7.35 on the E85 scale come to about 11.1 on the gas scale which I think is a little rich, but perfectly acceptable AFR.

I also disagree with you about the injector sizing. I would say you need about 50% larger to make the same power...so 60lb injectors, for example, would become 90lb as 60 x 1.5= 90

Last edited:
I like 11.3 11.5 on gas afr for any fuel...ethanol or otherwise....I have tuned to upper 12's on e85 and didnt notice any improvement in mph so went back to mid 11s....again on gas scale afr

The timing increases are where the gains are made when running ethanol....just with a fuel change I usually can add about 3-4 degrees advance everywhere and seat of the pants the car picks up drastically.