E-85 vs Alky

advantages of going green? your pumping $$ into U.S its corn.......93 pump gas giving money to the other side to harbor terrorist..

You think that by buying ethanol based product your going to change how much we pay for oil? Oil is a necessity. They will just cut production and keep the price up to hit their target revenue. The price of all alcohols has at least tripled in the last 15 years. I remember paying $98 for 55 gallons of methanol. Denatured alcohol was about the same price. Off the political aspect the downside of e85 is that you need to have an initial $2k outlay to bring the fuel system up to par if you want to make any power. Other than that for a mid 10 sec low boost application e85 is a great option with less risk involved than other setups. Running alky/93 is great if you know the limitations of it. You aren't easily going to be ripping off sub 10.50 passes with it and a bunch of bolt ons.

I have ran both pump gas/Alky and E85. And I prefer E85 over gas/alky. I love how much cooler the under hood temps are and how good it spooled at the track. It does impact the gas mileage, but mine is not a daily driver. Only downside I see, is you have to make sure your fuel system is up to the task and you have the correct Injectors. For me I ran out of both and I am upgrading the entire system this winter/spring.

On a daily driver I would go with alky if I had to choose between that and E85. Alky will be there when you need it not the entire time you drive, you don't need to upgrade your fuel system, etc. Plus there's quite a bit of talk about E85 going away since the government won't be sponsoring it with our money any more.

How much is E85 a Gallon??? or how much for a Full tank E85(stock GN size)??? I keep driving by my states county service area an see a Huge Tank of it above ground....

Sure was nice in the 90's to go to HandyWay store an fill up on 100 octane blue gas right out of the pump, was 2.99 a gallon.

I'm on 93 an Meth an it's Great!! But do see the side of one fuel ,less issues,easier to tune

On a daily driver I would go with alky if I had to choose between that and E85. Alky will be there when you need it not the entire time you drive, you don't need to upgrade your fuel system, etc. Plus there's quite a bit of talk about E85 going away since the government won't be sponsoring it with our money any more.

Do you have any links to articles where this is talked about? Just curious to read them. Thanks.

Wow thanks for all the responses everyone. I found a like new dual nozzle razor kit for under $500 so I think I'll go with that. Plus I can sell the 3 bar it comes with since I have one already to increase the savings a bit. Just seems just about as good performance wise, cheaper and not as big of a hassle as opposed to upgrading my fuel lines, injectors, and hope my Extender Pro chip can be reburned and still work with my MAFT Pro. I do have a gas station here that has E-85 but since it is a daily driver for now it does seem Alky is more conventional for me. I just have one thing that is bothering me. Julio hopefully you'd know or someone also with experience, but will I be able to hook both my MAFT pro and the ALKY kit to the 3 bar sensor? I went though too much of a hassle getting this MAFT Pro going so if they can't work together it pretty much makes the Alky a bust... :(

You can use the same 3 bar map for both purposes. Just splice into the signal wire and attach the controller to it.

pump gas/ alky why complicate and spend $ on the fuel system,alot more areas that will need the coin if your going to go really fast.

E85 is plentiful here in SoCal, and last I looked this week is $3.33 a gallon. Sounds expensive if you are not in CA, but that is pretty cheap. ;)

Great thread - thanks for the links Julio.

Looks to me that if it's mostly a race/weekend bruiser, E-85 may be better. But for the OP's use, Alky is by far the best choice. If I was him, I would worry about the availability and pricing of E-85 given they are dropping the subsidies.

Would 80lb injectors, a walbro 340lph pump and tune be enough to run E85 or would i have to upgrade the fuel lines and get another pump? Im really intrested in running E85 but i dont wanna drop a ton of coin on bigger lines dual pumps a modded ecm etc, im running around 25psi with a PT-61 Turbo, built motor.

Before too many people start jumping on the E-85 bandwagon, and spending big $$$ on the needed mods, you might want to consider what's likely to happen to E-85 pricing now that government subsidies have been turned off.

Would 80lb injectors, a walbro 340lph pump and tune be enough to run E85 or would i have to upgrade the fuel lines and get another pump? Im really intrested in running E85 but i dont wanna drop a ton of coin on bigger lines dual pumps a modded ecm etc, im running around 25psi with a PT-61 Turbo, built motor.

You might need more pump to run that amount of boost but you dont need the bigger lines

The Turbo Tweak 340 pump and 80 pound injectors should be good to mid 10's so the investment to convert a high 10 second or slower car to E85 is pretty inexpensive and easy.

^ 340 on E85 i doubt will come close to mid 10's with out alky on top of it.

Sell old injectors for $150. Buy used injectors for $250. Buy used double Pumper or make your own like I did <$350. You will need a chip no matter which way you go. The way I see it, for a mid ten sec car on e85 will cost the same as an alky kit.

I run e-85 in my car with the MAFT Pro and 80lb injectors and a DW pump. I am redoing my fuel lines this winter but not because I had to but because I wanted the bling of the braided lines for shows. When I first did the switch I had to get a new pump any way so I got a DW pump and a board member here traded me my 60lb injectors for his 80lbs injectors I then had Bob reburn my chip $50 from FT so I did the hole swap for less than $250 and if I wouldn’t have needed the pump any way it would have been cheaper. Now my new fuel system is crazy over kill for my car I did it more for looks then performance but I still do not have that much in to it maybe $1200 and it has all Teflon braided house -8 to -6 duel fed fuel rails and -6 return with a Kerban external fuel reg and in tank double pumper way over kill for my car but it looks crazy cool.