E-85 vs Alky

Black Sunshine

Slacker
Hello,

I am thinking about buying a Alky kit really soon. However I have a couple people trying to push me to just run E-85. I am aware of the alky kits but have no clue what it takes to run E-85 and the cost of conversion. Anyone here knows the pros and cons of the systems? Also I use a 3 bar already for a MAFT Pro will I still be able to hook a alky kit to it as well? Thanks for the help. I looked at a few of the threads on both but couldn't find any side by side comparisons.

currently running razors and love it, but am considering e-85. cant wait to hear the replies.

subscribed.

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a Alky kit really soon. However I have a couple people trying to push me to just run E-85. I am aware of the alky kits but have no clue what it takes to run E-85 and the cost of conversion. Anyone here knows the pros and cons of the systems? Also I use a 3 bar already for a MAFT Pro will I still be able to hook a alky kit to it as well? Thanks for the help. I looked at a few of the threads on both but couldn't find any side by side comparisons.
The best part of E85 is how fast it spools. Gasoline will never spool like E85,and the torque is awsome. If you use it as a daily driver,it'll burn through Fuel very fast with E85,but it will make noticeably more power. Then you advance the timing and increase the boost and Wow! Double your injector size,get a chip to run the injectors,and put E85 in it. DUN.

I have a chip specific for my MAFT Pro so it would have to be able to run off the setup I have. So am I S.O.L on E-85? I am using it as a daily driver until I can buy a 2nd car. However I value performance over mileage. I already only get 10-11 mpg on premium gas. I imagine E-85 would knock it down to 8-9 mpg perhaps.

I hear of some having to run double pumper intank set up increase fuel line size and injector size with e85. Then I believe I read the biggest injectors made for the stock ecu are 80lbs but I may be wrong.

I'm interested as well....I have a guy in my shop with an Evo that claims he makes more HP with E85...dunno how true that is. From what I have read so far with E85 you need to run fuel lines designed for it.

If you dont care about spending the extra money on your fuel system the crappy gas mileage and if you e85 stations available then like stated above E85 is awesome but since your using your car as a daily driver razors alky kit is probably the cheaper route. One of the reasons i switched to E85 was when i was using the alky it was another system that something could go wrong with. Personally i have two XP pumps running all the time with a -8 teflon stainless braided line dual feeding champion fuel rails and -6 return with external regulator and 120 pound injectors. With your combo you should be able to get your chip reburned for E85 and get the high z 80's and be fine.

For his car I would use one of those new high volume pumps, stock lines, 80lb injectors and get the chip for them and E85.
For a daily driver and a lightly modded car like his I would probably do the alky kit though. Depends on the budget and how hard you tend to push the car. Search Steve Dickerson on here. He has a setup like that on this wife's car E85 and alky! Been running it that way for a while now. Blackmonte also has a mean lightly modded car that runs just E85. Their are a ton of lightly modded alky and 93 cars which are seasoned in beating up on the street. Which will be faster, all depends on the tune. Yes you do notice more torque and faster spool with E85.

E85 hands down. A good fuel pump and injectors and selling off injector you got will be cheaper than an alcohol kit. Stock fuel lines and rail can go mid tens with e85. E85 setups keep it simple too. Don't have to worry about the alky system pump or keeping the little overflow tank full. If you don't have a station by you, get a 55 gal drum and fill it up. Easier to get e85 than methanol also (can't get Meth from a 24 hour gas station.)
I believe you can make more power on e85 and its safer on parts.

I have a chip specific for my MAFT Pro so it would have to be able to run off the setup I have. So am I S.O.L on E-85? I am using it as a daily driver until I can buy a 2nd car. However I value performance over mileage. I already only get 10-11 mpg on premium gas. I imagine E-85 would knock it down to 8-9 mpg perhaps.

I would look into why its getting 10-11 MPG. It should be higher than that. That is if your driving normally.If your hammering on the car.. it is what it is.

If you have plenty of gas stations in your area that deal in E-85 and dont mind 2x the fillups.. then its not an issue. Understand the alcohol is a demand system, meaning you dont use it unless in boost. The E85 your burning it 24/7 as long as the engine is running. Expect gas mileage to go .5-.6 of what your getting. So leaving all the same your range will go down 60%. If using as a daily.. you'll be filling up daily. Its bad enough constantly having to fill on E85, looking for stations that deal in it. To me its like having a car that runs on Diesel. You have to find the stations that carry it. On trips your SOL.

Even as a worse case scenario and you got the alcohol system.. you can use it to help cool the charge. There is no downside to using it. You can tune around it where it doesnt hurt anything if you shut it off.

When it comes to performance there is no free ride. This reminds me of when nitrous systems came out.. everyone was like hey $350 kit and make 100 RWHP.. That turned into hurting a motor.. from not monitoring bottle pressure.. then you had the purge, remote opener, bottle blankets/heaters, spare bottle, guages, controllers, timing retards, etc.. that 350 kit turned into 2K.

500 bucks basically you can have a full alky kit added to your car in a few hours and all you need to do is tune it. Its an easy. Dont have to change injectors, dont have to change chips, use the same fuel pump, etc. If your going to be racing the car on weekends, its a toy you dont drive everyday.. your looking for some heavy power.. then you weigh your options. For an 11sec, 12sec car.. no brainer to me. Just my .02

There are plenty of guys that get set in their ways. Even the E85 should be tested. No "Easy" button. If you dont like to test and worry.. leave the car on pump gas and low boost and bypass all this stuff. Once you turn the boost up.. you have to be on top of stuff. Whether testing the alcohol system, or testing the E85 for content. Winter blends are 70%=E70

2x the fill ups? That is stretching it. You will lose about 2-3 MPG with e85 on a 15 MPG vehicle.

That 2-3 is what I found on my car compared to Turbo blue using 2 full tanks.

advantages of going green? your pumping $$ into U.S its corn.......93 pump gas giving money to the other side to harbor terrorist..

Reactions: Key
advantages of going green? your pumping $$ into U.S its corn.......93 pump gas giving money to the other side to harbor terrorist..

We have plenty of oil in Alaska and the Gulf. We just dont want to touch it.. Its a game.. Would rather pump money into food production, jobs, etc.

So your saying if I used E85 it would end all worries of blowing an engine up? :rolleyes:.. Must be a Miami thing ;)

i like your kit julio you do have a great system!!..i wanted to try your kit because ive only used smc and thats because a couple yrs ago on e85 it would take forever to start the car on cold start it was a mission! a couple yrs ago no one had it? i had it on my buick and my rx7.. my rx7 loved it..but not so much with the buick.... so i left e85 alone for a bit. and tried smc. alky.i had problems on WOT and bogging etc.. always was something i know your kit is way ahead of smc kits...but honestly Eric has the injector pulse crap perfect and dialed in he fixed the cold start issues and misc crap that goes with that.. i rather go with e85 right know.. and i would have just rather skip all the headaches in the beginning of e85.. look what gabby rojas is doing on e85 that he pumps at a local gas station... how many times has his motor blown a HG or suffered any engine detonation? hes had hundreds of runs with no problems ive seen cars just being abused on e85 ive abused my car on e85...havent had much problems ever...but at the end of the day on alky your trying to make ET's on 93 pump gas...thats a bit scary IMO ... it boils down to preference.. Point blank... julio you have a great kit no doubt about it. but e85 is good too

Its a matter of preference. My car just ran a 9.04 and a 9.06 at 153 on pump gas and alky. Has "hundreds or runs" probably 350 full passes down a track without hiccup. So I understand. A person needs to do what they feel comfortable with. That is the biggest issue.

For a daily.. I need to get to work car.. take trips.. pump gas rules. From there its a matter of preference.

My system is not bullet proof. There is no system that is. This also includes E-85 as a fuel or Race gas.