Dynamic EFI EBL Flash System For GM Sequential V6 Boosted Engines....

Ok so how much?

There are three ways to go with purchasing an EBL SFI-6 system (prices are current at the time of this posting):

1) Self install, this is $450 and the user supplies the ECM (1228253) and installs the board (needs some soldering).

2) We install, this is $450 and $20 for install. User supplies the ECM, send sit to us and we install and return same ECM.

3) Ready-to-go, this is $520. We provide the ECM, install and EBL SFI-6 board in an ECM ready to be used.

Shipping is extra on top of these options. The installation procedure for self-install and shipping is the same as for the EBL P4 system. Can see the install procedure here:

www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_P4_Install.php

That page starts with the self-install guide. Further down shows the exterior comm cable being installed. Which all users will need to do as it is in the ECM harness connectors.

The knock filter options are the same as the P4, stock '86-'87 cars can use the external knock filter option. Which is already present in the cars.

EFI harness wiring: The EBL SFI-6 ECM is a three connector ECM. It also has more I/O then the stock '7148 ECM. This means two things: need to re-pin the stock harness ECM connectors while adding a third connector. Will carry the third connector and will have the re-pin guide available.

We also carry the other two (stock) connector shells/combs. Using three new connectors makes re-pinning easier as you just move a terminal/wire from one connector to another. No swapping within the same connector.

To use the additional features of the EBL EFI-6 ECM additional wires will need to be added to the ECM harness connectors. This is up to the individual as to what they want to use. A double pumper set up can have the ECM activate the second FP. The high speed fan can be put under ECM control (or dual fans with both under ECM control).

The use of a 1-bar MAP in conjunction with a 2/3-bar MAP requires plumbing and wiring in the second MAP sensor. This feature provides better drive-ability as the ECM will use the 1-bar MAP until in boost, when it will switch to the 2/3-bar MAP sensor.

Another feature is the ability to monitor engine oil temperature. Which again is up to the user as to whether they want to use that feature.

RemoveBeforeFlight

It would be fantastic if there were real nice install intructions for the 7148, similar to those for the P4, but haven't seen any yet. Such a set of instructions would give a person a much better idea whether they want to tackle the install themselves. Just saying the install is similar to the P4 instructions doesn't do much. There's NO similarities.
Great work so far. Just post up pictoral instructions for a 7148

It would be fantastic if there were real nice install intructions for the 7148, similar to those for the P4, but haven't seen any yet. Such a set of instructions would give a person a much better idea whether they want to tackle the install themselves. Just saying the install is similar to the P4 instructions doesn't do much. There's NO similarities.
Great work so far. Just post up pictoral instructions for a 7148

The self-install of the EBL SFI-6 board into the ECM is identical to the EBL P4 self-install.Along with the exterior com cable and knock filter options.

The SFI-6 will not work in the '7148, it uses the 1228253 ECM. Which is newer then the '7148, has more processing power, and a lot more I/O. The additional I/O is key as it allows more to be controlled.

RemoveBeforeFlight

There are those who use an external waste gate to control boost. Will the EBL throw a trouble code if its not controlling boost or is it something that can be enabled/disabled in the program?

Does the EBL need the VSS signal to work properly? I ask because with a VDO dash the VSS is no longer connected to the harness. Is there a fix for that? My car like most is modified ( vastly ) from a stock car with an untouched wiring harness.

How will the EBL control an alky control kit? The alky control kit has its own control unit, how does the average joe wire it in to the EBL? That alky pump could be the second fuel pump in the EBL too.

I know in advance the FAST wiring harness has to come out in order for this to work correctly.

I apologize for the questions........I'm trying to think ahead here.

There are those who use an external waste gate to control boost. Will the EBL throw a trouble code if its not controlling boost or is it something that can be enabled/disabled in the program?

Does the EBL need the VSS signal to work properly? I ask because with a VDO dash the VSS is no longer connected to the harness. Is there a fix for that? My car like most is modified ( vastly ) from a stock car with an untouched wiring harness.

How will the EBL control an alky control kit? The alky control kit has its own control unit, how does the average joe wire it in to the EBL? That alky pump could be the second fuel pump in the EBL too.

I know in advance the FAST wiring harness has to come out in order for this to work correctly.

I apologize for the questions........I'm trying to think ahead here.

No need to apologize for the questions. The EBL SFI-6 system is new, questions are to be expected and fill in information for everyone.

There won't be a SES due to no waste-gate solenoid being connected to the ECM. The malfunction codes are user selectable as for being enabled or disabled.

As for a VSS input, it is best to have one. Although it isn't a requirement. There is a bunch of stuff in the ECM that uses the VSS/MPH input. Without it these features aren't available. This is such as highway lean cruise mode, TCC lockup, spark advance reduction versus MPH, and a few others (I'd have to check for all of them).

The VSS may be such as the stock optical unit or a magnetic unit. The pulse per mile (PPM) is adjustable in the calibration (within reason). As an example can use a 4-pole magnetic unit inline with the speedometer cable.

A lack of VSS input isn't a show stopper. Without it the ECM will continue to function.

> How will the EBL control an alky control kit?

The EBL ECM will output a PWM signal to run a pump driver module. No need for a separate control box. The pump driver module uses the ECM PWM output and has the umff to run the pump (a high current device). It has been designed and tested but isn't being manufactured yet.

To control the volume of alcohol being injected there is a 3D table by MAP & RPM. The values in the table is the pump duty cycle (DC%). Pump full on is 100% DC. Lower DC% is less pump speed for a lower volume of alcohol. By having a table by RPM and MAP there is better overall control of the volume being sprayed.

There is a test button input to run the pump, along with a brake input to lower the DC% for brake boosting.

If there is a stand alone alcohol system in the vehicle it can remain and continue to be used. It may also be converted to run from the EBL SFI-6 ECM. Another advantage of having the alcohol injection (and N2O control) by the ECM is that on an rev-limit fuel cut these systems are also shut down.

RemoveBeforeFlight

OK, the EBL SFI-6 is on the pad and is being launched. We have a few systems on the shelf and more are being assembled.

At this time there isn't any waste gate control. It is being worked on and will be released as soon as it works the way it should. The EBL Flash ECMs are field upgradable and when the WG works you can update your EBL SFI-6 ECM. We don't charge for these updates.

There are wiring diagrams on our site:

http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_SFI6_Drawings.php

We also have a re-pin guide to pin a '7148 ECM to the EBL SFI-6 pin-out. This is for the ECM harness connectors. Note that a third connector is also required which we carry. This is a speed density system and as such requires a MAP sensor, a 2 or 3 bar can be used.

If anyone has any questions can post here or email me: bobr @ dynamicefi.com (remove the spaces).

RemoveBeforeFlight

Since I'm not starting with a Buick, I guess I should start with a Buick engine harness?

Other than a GN or TTA, what car can I use an engine harness that will have most of the wiring I need? Will the LeSabre from say, 87-94 have most of the right wiring in it? Is there an aftermarket harness that you recommend?

I don't mind modding up my own unit, I'd just like to know the best target to get the harness out of. I'm thinking 3800 cars and SFI 3.8 from 87 on but I want to make sure.

Thanks!

The '88 - '91 VIN C cars used this ECM. The VIN letter C is in the eighth position. This is Buicks, Olds, and Pontiacs.

Look for an ECM with two black and a single orange connector. Drop the glove box down for a look-see.

Will need to do some re-pinning of the connectors as not all are the same as the EBL SFI-6 system.

Starting with a Casper's harness is also a good way to go. It too will require re-pinning along with adding the third connector. Email me for the '7148 to EBL SFI-6 re-pin guide if you go this route.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I cant speak for Caspers but if there is re pinning to be done he may be able to wire the harness so its a plug and play deal. Maybe he can chime in here on the thread.

...The '88 - '91 VIN C cars used this ECM...

...Email me for the '7148 to EBL SFI-6 re-pin guide if you go this route...

RemoveBeforeFlight

Well, I am not starting with a Buick or TTA that had the 7148. I am starting with a V6 Firebird that is about to get a Buick V6 transplanted under the hood.

I'm thinking it may get a VIN "C" harness now, too. I have the factory service manual for my 3rd gen Firebird, so the wiring on that end is taken care of. I'll pick up a VIN "C" harness and then I'll get the book for that car too. Its worth it for me to have if I'll have part of it under the hood.

Thanks for the heads up and now I have a just a few more parts to gather before I'm ready. I'm excited!

A heads up on our web site. The home & EBL SFI-6 pages have been updated but unless you cleared your browser's cache it will show the old page. Can manually clear the cache via the Tools dialog, or when on a page hit the F5 key. That forces a reload of the page.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I hate to throw flies in the ointment but how do you run a 1 bar and 2 bar map long with a 3 bar map for an alky system? 3 sensors is overkill but do we have the EBL run the alky system? How would that work?

I hate to throw flies in the ointment but how do you run a 1 bar and 2 bar map long with a 3 bar map for an alky system? 3 sensors is overkill but do we have the EBL run the alky system? How would that work?

At the most only two MAP sensors can be used. The main MAP sensor can be a 1, 2, or 3 bar dependent upon the requirements (N/A, 15 psi, 30 psi, respectively).

When running a 2 or 3 bar main MAP sensor an optional 1-bar MAP can also be installed & used. When not in boost the EBL SFI-6 ECM will use the optional 1-bar MAP sensor for the best in driveability. Then once in boost switch to the 2 or 3 bar main MAP sensor.

When running a 2-bar main MAP, the optional 1-bar provides some degree of better driveability (small but noticeable). This option is really intended for those that run a 3-bar main MAP sensor. As the resolution and range of a 3-bar MAP is limited and it makes a real difference.

For an alky system, the EBL SFI-6 has a PWM output for the pump. There is a calibration table based on boost MAP and RPM for the duty cycle (DC%) of the pump driver. The calibration definition file along with the EBL SFI-6 firmware is set up for it to work with either a 2 or 3 bar main MAP sensor.

There is also a priming run input (momentary switch), along with a DC% modifier to this table via a brake switch input.

RemoveBeforeFlight

At the most only two MAP sensors can be used. The main MAP sensor can be a 1, 2, or 3 bar dependent upon the requirements (N/A, 15 psi, 30 psi, respectively).

When running a 2 or 3 bar main MAP sensor an optional 1-bar MAP can also be installed & used. When not in boost the EBL SFI-6 ECM will use the optional 1-bar MAP sensor for the best in driveability. Then once in boost switch to the 2 or 3 bar main MAP sensor.

When running a 2-bar main MAP, the optional 1-bar provides some degree of better driveability (small but noticeable). This option is really intended for those that run a 3-bar main MAP sensor. As the resolution and range of a 3-bar MAP is limited and it makes a real difference.

For an alky system, the EBL SFI-6 has a PWM output for the pump. There is a calibration table based on boost MAP and RPM for the duty cycle (DC%) of the pump driver. The calibration definition file along with the EBL SFI-6 firmware is set up for it to work with either a 2 or 3 bar main MAP sensor.

There is also a priming run input (momentary switch), along with a DC% modifier to this table via a brake switch input.

RemoveBeforeFlight

So compared to the fast system where do you think it holds up? Been thinking about going that way but after seeing this i may be changing my mind.

Is there a big gain over running a chip and a Gen 2. Does it have a malfunction code feature like the scanmaster does?

So compared to the fast system where do you think it holds up? Been thinking about going that way but after seeing this i may be changing my mind.

Is there a big gain over running a chip and a Gen 2. Does it have a malfunction code feature like the scanmaster does?

With an EBL SFI-6 system I don't see a need for a FAST ECM. The SFI-6 system will run the emissions equipment if desired. Will run in open or closed loop. Has malfunction routines along with reporting. In many ways the EBL systems are like stock GM set ups, but otherwise greatly enhanced.

With the addition of a zener diode and a resistor your ScanMaster will also work with it.

> Is there a big gain over running a chip and a Gen 2.

The biggest difference here is that with a chip & GEN 2 you are purchasing a tune. And are limited to the I/O of the stock '7148 ECM. If you want something in the calibration/tune changed, need to work with the chip guy. Make changes to the drivetrain, back to the chip guy.

With an EBL SFI-6 ECM, you do the tuning yourself, and have additional capabilities well beyond the stock ECM. One thing is that there isn't a chip, the calibration is held in Flash memory on the EBL board.

The calibration is flashed into the ECM via the same data link that is used for logging and observing the data. The data stream provides a lot of information, 17 packets of data every second, with 272 bytes of data in each packet. This data can be viewed real time on the What's Up Display (the WUD, a Windows program), played back on the WUD, viewed in the Analysis display, and even dumped to a text or CSV file (for a spread sheet program such as Excel or Open Office).

For a look-see of the WUD check the screen shots found here:

www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_ScreenShots.php

The color scheme is different for the EBL EFI-6 WUD with one screen shot here to show that:

www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_SFI6_ScreenShots.php

The screen shots are a little dated, with one notable change to the Areas of Spark Retard display. It now shows where knock occurred including when in boost. An interesting note is that both the VE Learn display and the spark knock display, they match the calibration tables. This makes it easy to match things up between the display and the actual calibration.

RemoveBeforeFlight