dual ATR 2.5" vs 3"

Boostymofo

Ok...i've decided on ATR's dual SS system...

However...
I can't decide whether i should get the 3" or the 2.5"
I know the 2.5" will be quieter....but will the 3" give more horsepower (I've read mixed things...)? If it doesn't add any more power than the 2.5", I don't want to have to put up with the extra noise.

Anyone have sound clips of your exhausts?

-Dave

If you drive the car much DO NOT GET THE 3 " exhaust , the noise will drive you crazy .

The 2 1/2" will flow plenty for low 11's or high 10's

ATR has reported that they have gone 9 sec on the dual 2.5" system. I feel that there is no need to go bigger then 2.5" on most cars. The flow is not that different between 2.5” vs. 3”. So therefore why pay more money and add more weight. Plus, your downpipe size is more of a factor any ways then the exhaust piping size.

Jason

I have the 3 inch. I don't think it's loud at all.

I like how it sounds. No sound clip though.

The folks that are complaining about the 3" being loud are obviously talking about a single 3" system.

I've put the DUAL 3" system on my Daughter's T, and I also have the DUAL 2.5" on my GN. Trust me, the dual 3" systme IS NOT too loud. It's much quieter inside her car than inside mine!!!!

Her's also sounds nastier from the outside. Has a mean low growl to it.

If mine needed a system IT WOULD BE THE ATR DUAL 3" system.

I like the sound of my 2.5" ATR duals...especially at idle. Dual 2.5" have a flow area equal to a 3.5" downpipe...so no performance gain going to 3" duals unless your downpipe is bigger than 3.5". Not counting the extra weight of the dual 3" system.

Regards, Bob

I have the ATR 3" duals too and they are not really loud. Like Dave said, they have that low growl sound. Looks great from the rear too:cool:

Sorry, sure don't. Besides, mine would be unaturally loud now, because I changed over to Race Magnum Bullet mufflers last year to get a little extra help having to run at one track that "required" full exhaust. So my system is extremely loud now, much more so than it was with the ATR pitbull muffs.

Boostymofo,

We have some sound clips on our Secure online site listed below if you want to check out.

Originally posted by ILBCNU6
I run the ATR 2.5" duals with a muffler in place of the Cat. Under boost it sounds like a bull moose! I like the growl though. A fellow in Iowa installed a cross pipe before the mufflers and said it really got rid of the 2200 rpm growl? I'm going to install one on my car just to see what happens. I think ATR does sell two 3" systems, a single straight shot, and a 3" with a cross flow muffler and 3" tail pipes. I also run ATR headers that make the exhaust sound louder! Gene

ATR does sell a Dual 3" system. 2 mufflers, no crossflow mufferl.

Although they may also sell the cross flow system. The one's I've installed had two mufflers.