DOOR JAMB VIN STICKERS, SPI TRUNK LABEL WINDOW STICKERS

You think that we may be able to order them with our vin and pick them up at the event? Assuming its ready by may.

we are going to have most of the VIn related decals available way before May besides shipping is $6 not a deal breaker....example I am thinking the door jamb project will be in place before end of this month.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Kirban Update:

I was able to get out to a junk yard Saturday am one of the ones I hit frequently this one has over 6,000 cars in it. Each year door jamb sticker has a 8 digit number and letter A or B. 8 digits for the 1984-1987 years anyhow. Earlier years have 6 digits and no letters. I can tell you this those tamper proof stickers are exactly that. I ruined a bunch of them just to test. The trunk SPI labels I did remove several of them so I have an idea what is for what years. Those did not pose a problem.

Without a doubt every 84-86 was unreadable that I found. Whatever format GM used those years the shady bar area that has your info on it does not seem to hold up years later.

You definately want to take a photo of your existing stickers so you see the placement and also see which is on top and which is under it. Most I see the VIN one is top then the tire specs. I found some that had one vertical sticker and one horzantal sticker.

As noted in previous post to find production date look at your data plate on your firewall or also may not be exact but if you find your broadcast sheet under your seat frame or the door one that has a date on it. While it won't be exact it would put you in the ball park. Again I am not an expert at this just passing info that I am aware of.

From what I determine the stickers on the 1984 should read 14065978A and B

The 1985-1986 14085204A and B

The 1987 10080812A and B

What is kind of funny the 1984 I found on a Sunbird station that has a 5 speed manual transmission in it. Never saw one before.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Dave currently is working on my 84, 85-86 samples to go with my personal 87 ones. Once I have them I will have a format in place on how to order. Again this info will be posted here and in our weekly inner circle. I also now have proof from Dave that he is fully licensed by GM to do VIN stickers. To my knowledge I don't see any other source offering completely filled out door jamb stickers in the correct font for our cars.

On a side not the Packers/Cardinal game was one for the ages that people will be talking about. Whatever they pay Larry Fitzgerald he is worth it and then some. Not sure if its a record or not but for Rogers to throw two successful Hail Marys in one season may be a record. A shame the results were different on Saturday.

I don't think it's going to increase the value of our cars. It's just nice to have. Maybe way into the future it will add value, but right now the prices for these cars are still too low.
If you don't believe me check out all of the cars for sale. There are many with original documents, build sheets, letters from the dealer, heck, even the salesman's business card in some instances!- and they still do not sell for what I believe they should be selling for.

Hopefully this will change in the near future.

I don't think it's going to increase the value of our cars. It's just nice to have. Maybe way into the future it will add value, but right now the prices for these cars are still too low.
If you don't believe me check out all of the cars for sale. There are many with original documents, build sheets, letters from the dealer, heck, even the salesman's business card in some instances!- and they still do not sell for what I believe they should be selling for.

Hopefully this will change in the near future.

I would disagree, the values of these cars is on the incline. While not as much as other muscle cars, but for a car made in the 80s I would say the TRs are holding their own. As you can see from Hagerty who look at a lot of factors when determining values of cars, you can see in the chart they are on the increase for value. I would also agree having the door jamb stickers or any documentation for that matter only helps the value of any car. What dennis is doing is a great thing for all involved and is a win/win for everyone.

upload_2016-1-21_9-6-55.png

Venus: I think you misunderstood my statement. I did not say that our cars are not increasing in value. They have been, albeit slowly. I said that I did not think that having the extra documentation was going to "increase values"- at least not in the way that the poster seemed to suggest.

Of course, having all the documentation is ideal but I don't think it's going to take a $15k GN and turn it magically into a $16k GN. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of documentation and historical provenance if it is available and I try and collect all that I can.

Additionally, using Hagarty, KBB, NADA, Mecum or Barrett Jackson as a barometer of value is probably not the best practice. Their numbers tend toward wild swings and I do not think that they are truly indicative of the "actual marketplace" for the cars specifically. Frankly, ebay and this web board are probably better representative samples of what the "actual market" for these cars is doing.

In the chart you posted you see "excellent" cars valued around $27k with "Concours" cars upwards of $38k.... Take a look at the "for sale" section here. I know that there's smattering of cars in all of the categories. I don't think the numbers Hagarty suggests are realistic. I wish that they were, but I see a bunch of cars just sitting and not selling even though they may be priced lower than Hagarty's suggested values.

Kirban comments

As for using the above companies to compute values their really is no other way to do it. I am sure the same methods are used for other cars as well. Be interesting if someone psts what comparable Monte Carlo SS cars bring. Back when I sold probably more of these examples than anyone person did in the 1990s I charted all the ones I sold. Around 320 total all 1986-1987 models and 9 real GNXs.

Point being with these VIN data stickers it is a critical item and will be in years to come. A opportunity to be able to get one that is legal is huge in this market. Especially for any 1984-1986 owner as those stickers for whatever reason just don;t hold up. The area that has the shaded section on them over time has made the 17 digit VIN number unreadable.

The trunk label or SPI label as GM refers to it is very critical almost any member on this forum knows that. When I was buying these cars that was one of the first questions I asked if the label was intact. I remember one car that the seller told me he changed out the trunk lid due to rust issues and have saved the lid. When I bought this car I took the other lid with me to have that label.

Consider this two same condition GNs side by side one with door jamb labels intact and with SPI label along side one that lacks both...the educated buyer will pick the one with the intact labels. With the internet buys today are far more educated than years ago.

I am still working out the details with the company to see how to set this up. I also have about 8 other major GM vendors interested. Mostly Corvette companies. If I could bottle up 1970 air 1970 Corvette owners would buy it to blow it into their interiors! In that world I have seen $200 radiator caps $300 bumper jacks etc and so on. The door jamb VIN is a bargain.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I been fortunate enough when I started I was buying GTOS in the early 1980s. My budget for nice ones 4 speed trip power etc 1964-67 models was $500 and I thought getting $1200 to $1800 was fantastic money. I remember some of my local friends thought I was crazy for buying them. Later I thought getting $3500 was great money for original GTO Judge models. Look at their values today keep in ind in 1966 alone GM made 80,000 GTOs. Point being the choices on GTOs is far far greater than Turbo Regal numbers will ever be to choose from. The GTO represents the muscle car era from the 1960s which I am sure most would agree the Turbo Regal has done for the 1980s time frame. I been lucky to have picked the rite 2 cars for both generations.

In our immediate world you got maybe 25,000 Turbo Regals when new and far less survive today. This fact alone contributes to the values increasing. Time will tell by how much the values increase also depends on how long you live if you will see it.

Enjoy your ride its money well spent door jamb VIN data is just another critical part to making your car correct.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Thanks Dennis for the continued hard work and dedication to these cars. It was so nice to finally get to meet you in person at BG. Thanks again :cool:

Kirban Update

I appreciate the nice words. that others have posted in this thread....getting hammered with massive snowstorm as is most of the east coast. Probably the number one cause of heart attacks among men that shovel snow. In my area it is coming down a the rate of 3 inches per hour. Shovelling is useless until it stops.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Kirban update:

I will be emailing Brandon shortly so he can post a photo showing the 1984 GM Car door jamb VIN data decals, the 1985-1986 GM car door jamb data decals and the 1987 GM car door jamb data decals. Now that I have samples of all the versions I can clearly see the differences. One difference is the 1987 style is smaller. The 1984 tire one is different from the 1985-1986. From what ECS tells me it appears whatever ink GM used on the early ones it fades badly like disappears which would explain why even really nice cars the door jamb data decals are barely readable.

Also those early ones the labels are like two layers with one layer having the standard print on it and the other layer getting the custom weights and VIN number. If you notice I say each is for all GM for those years cars only as trucks have different labels from what I have seen.

The labels are not G body specific. They are year specific. GM Cars only ones I am marketing.

Here is the pricing $120 per pair (2) plus $7 priority shipping. Takes 5-7 days to process. Only sold as a pair (2)

You can email or if you can't do email fax to 215-766-1615. We need visual proof of your VIN number. If the label is not readable you need to supply photo of your SPI trunk ID label, or copy of your title. Also type out your VIN besides so we can double check it. also type out your date of manufacture month and year we do not need the week. If unsure how to determine this I wrote about this in last weeks inner circle email. The inner circle email is free and is sent every week. The code to figure it out is the 4 letter/numbers in the top left corner of your body number plate by your drivers side wiper arm.

At this point I don't think this will be able to be ordered properly by our website. As it has to be phoned in or emailed with your CC info and day time phone number. Remember these are one of a kind custom made specifically for your car so care must be taken to get it right.

The price is the same no matter what company you buy it from. We are working on getting other companies on board with this as well but currently we are the only source outside of ECS Automotive Concepts. However what he has done he has a special file set up for these years specifically for my orders. He has taken a variety of ones he had for those years and picked the one for each year that is a flawless sample from his file system. By that I mean GM did not take much care in printing these door jamb VIN data decals any more than you see two trunk directions installed exactly alike.
Each year has a 8 digit GM part number in the lower right corner followed by the letter A or B. Double check to make sure your GM part number corresponds to the years we have listed.

1984 would be 14065978 A and B our part number is #7900 use our part number
1985-1986 is 14085204 A and B our part number is #7901 use our part number
1987 would be 10080812 A and B our part number is #7902 use our part number

If none of these GM part numbers are not a match to yours I would need to know the GM number it is. ECS Automotive Concepts has over 15,000 different temp plates. They do VIN numbers Ferrari Lamboghini and Porsche besides GM-Ford-Chrysler. I am listed as a on of the featured speakers at GM Carlisle June 17th and 19th speaking Friday & Saturday on Hurst, Hurst Olds, VIN decals.

Email any questions or your order to christina@kirbanperformance.com

this is not on our website as of yet!

NOTE BE SURE TO USE OUR PART NUMBER SO WE CAN MATCH TO THE YEAR

Below is an update from Dennis Kirban:

"Special thanks to Brandon for posting my photos. Here are actual samples of the 1984, 1985-1986, and the 1987 Door Jamb VIN data decals. Note how much larger the 1984, 1985-1986 is over the 1987 style. Also note slight difference in the 1984 tire spec label compared to the 1985-1986. I will soon have samples of all of them back to 1970. In 1975 they started with the white ones which would be similar to the ones here. I have no idea how many versions GM used between 1975 and 1984 but will know that answer soon. Point being we will be able to offer all of them for older GM cars you may have or know someone who does. With late 1970s Trans AMs at Barrett Jackson Auction fetching 70 grand or more having a crisp set of VIN door decals would probably be worth it!"

Attachments

• Sample Door VIN Sample.jpg
    Sample Door VIN Sample.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 800
Kirban Update

We have all the door jamb VIN decals sorted out and taking orders. It is not yet on our website however if you subscribe we sent out a special inner circle email thursday 2-11-16 giving all the info on them. I can send you the file if you want to see it email me denniskirban@yahoo.com request order form info for VIN decals. We are already getting orders for them. Actually we will be able to do all GM cars back to 1970 which is when GM started with a single blue VIN decal. GM trucks used a different VIN decal. The blue ones are cheaper of course sicne its a single decal and not on tamper proof paper.. From what I understand GM used the single blue door VIN decal from 1970 ti 1974 before switching to the tamper proof white paper ones. You can bet if you got a hundred grand plus GS Stage 1 the VIN label is pretty important, or a COPO Camaro or GTO Ram Air IV Judge, or W30 Olds. The turn around in 5-7 days. Currently no other GM vendor has these available although I am sure several will be contacting us soon about offering them.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

It is going to be awhile for the trunk ID and window stickers. they are more complicated than the door data VIN decals. You need to have all the info in advance for the trunk ID meaning all the options and spring codes etc and so on. It has taken me 3 weeks working with ECS to set up the door ones keeping in mind I am setting the door ones up to go back to when they started 1970 time frame and I am looking at the market way beyond just our turbo cars. .The biggest market is the door ones as most are faded or painted over or gone.

The trunk ID ones actually started in 1984 with GM appears 84-85-86 is all the same with 87 being different.

I also have no idea on the pricing. I am also in the middle of another major project with a company that approached us getting license agreements with some of the big old time companies for another project. This project is under a time frame so the company can have licensed product in time for spring Carlisle. We will get to them but it may be awhile...I already have agreements with Hurst, Isky, and Crower.

He is working on a 100% absolutely dead on correct Visor decal the two currently licensed ones are not exactly correct. granted they are GM licensed but not dead on the same. Its difficult to explain and I don;t know it works either but to make a master correctly is a very time consuming project. Fortunately Dave of ECS Automotive loves a challenge.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

It is going to be awhile for the trunk ID and window stickers. they are more complicated than the door data VIN decals. You need to have all the info in advance for the trunk ID meaning all the options and spring codes etc and so on. It has taken me 3 weeks working with ECS to set up the door ones keeping in mind I am setting the door ones up to go back to when they started 1970 time frame and I am looking at the market way beyond just our turbo cars. .The biggest market is the door ones as most are faded or painted over or gone.

The trunk ID ones actually started in 1984 with GM appears 84-85-86 is all the same with 87 being different.

I also have no idea on the pricing. I am also in the middle of another major project with a company that approached us getting license agreements with some of the big old time companies for another project. This project is under a time frame so the company can have licensed product in time for spring Carlisle. We will get to them but it may be awhile...I already have agreements with Hurst, Isky, and Crower.

He is working on a 100% absolutely dead on correct Visor decal the two currently licensed ones are not exactly correct. granted they are GM licensed but not dead on the same. Its difficult to explain and I don;t know it works either but to make a master correctly is a very time consuming project. Fortunately Dave of ECS Automotive loves a challenge.

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Information on factory options as well as dealer invoice are easy to get. I have compiled all the necessary information for SPID and window sticker reproduction in the last few weeks. Were able to tell me excact build and delivery date, dealership name, and all factory options on my car that would be visible on a window sticker or SPID label. Contact GM media archives for dealer invoice ($50) and also contact George Zapota at Vintage Vehicle Services. He is based out of canada and as it turns on GM Canada has kept better records on all GM manufactured cars than the GM US has. Links below:

Dealer Invoice (includes msrp!)
http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=4

Factory options/build date/other info:
http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/veh-info.html

George's Email:
george-gm@vintagevehicleservices.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Only thing I don't have is the broadcast sheet from under the seat or inside the door. Otherwise I believe I have all of the documentation needed including the original window sticker, hand written order from the dealer, transporter document from the plant to the dealer, pre delivery inspection, hand written confirmation of options at delivery, etc. Some of which I just sent to Christina for the door decals. My car had the doors and trunk lid swapped during the restoration so the originals are non existent. Hope you can get them produced at some point.

Information on factory options as well as dealer invoice are easy to get. I have compiled all the necessary information for SPID and window sticker reproduction in the last few weeks. Were able to tell me excact build and delivery date, dealership name, and all factory options on my car that would be visible on a window sticker or SPID label. Contact GM media archives for dealer invoice ($50) and also contact George Zapota at Vintage Vehicle Services. He is based out of canada and as it turns on GM Canada has kept better records on all GM manufactured cars than the GM US has. Links below:

Dealer Invoice (includes msrp!)
http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=4

Factory options/build date/other info:
http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/veh-info.html

George's Email:
george-gm@vintagevehicleservices.com
Thanks for posting this info.

Last edited: