Does the Firestone Indy 500 black sidewall look ok?

2QWIK4U

Since the BFG is so much more expensive I'm thinking of getting the Firestone Indy 500's for the rear in 255/60/15.
My question is how does the black sidewall look? The BFG is smooth and no design.I dont want any designs or anything that is gonna look cheap.
I can get the Cooper Cobras about the same price but dont like the black sidewall on them.
I can save about $20 per tire using the Indy 500's and looking for someone that has made the swap to let me know if they are happy with them.Thanks.

I have had them on mine for about 6 years, been very happy with them. i think they look just fine black side out.

I'm running the Firehawk SS20's on mine (255/60-15) which is the predecessor to the Indy 500's.
I love them!!! and black sidewall out looks just fine!

Some of the BEST sticking street tires I know of without a doubt!!

I have nailed down 1.8 60' times with them at our local crappy 1/8 mile track!!!!!! But it takes a "john force" burnout to do it.

I am aware of 3 times Firestone has put out defective tires & blamed the consumer for the problems.
Last car I purchased with Firestones on it, I drove it straight to a tire dealer & had them replaced.

Indy 500 user here.

I whole heartedly agree with TurboDave.... they are certainly one of the best hooking street tires available. Soft enough compound to hook, yet excellent wear durability. I'd highly recommend them.

Here's some 235/60/15's on my car. Tell me if you can notice any of the sidewall writing....

Attachments

• PB280295.jpg
    PB280295.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 246
I don't think the sidewall looks as good as BFG Radial TAs. Its a lot harder to ArmorAll them with all of the writing and stuff on them. I don't like the way they ride compared to the BFGs either, seems like the sidewall is too soft or something. The good thing is that they do hook pretty well for a street tire.

Here's a pic of 255/60/15 Indy 500s on T rims.

Attachments

• Indy500.JPG
    Indy500.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 248
not to hijack, but murph, can i have some whole car pics of yours? i have the T wheels and i would love to see em all black. i love the way the 84-5 gn wheels look but would consider them all black if they look ok. thanks in advance!
Talon.

I am aware of 3 times Firestone has put out defective tires & blamed the consumer for the problems.
Last car I purchased with Firestones on it, I drove it straight to a tire dealer & had them replaced.

Im sorry you feel that way about the product. The funny thing is that what most people dont know is that the last lawsuit with the Explorer tires was actually proven as neglect by OWNERS and not a defect of the product, but the company still stood behind their product and recalled all of the tires.

Okay.......... not starting a pissing match, just getting some facts out here.

As for the Indy 500s, you guys better buy them up fast. They are on their way out. Im pretty sure they are slated to be discontinued by early fall 2010. I run them on my daily driver and like them a lot. 235 front, 255 rear.

I

As for the Indy 500s, you guys better buy them up fast. They are on their way out. Im pretty sure they are slated to be discontinued by early fall 2010. I run them on my daily driver and like them a lot. 235 front, 255 rear.

That sucks, i use these on the slower car and they work great for it.

The blackwall looks fine BTW.

I'm running the Firehawk SS20's on mine (255/60-15) which is the predecessor to the Indy 500's.
I love them!!! and black sidewall out looks just fine!

Some of the BEST sticking street tires I know of without a doubt!!

I have nailed down 1.8 60' times with them at our local crappy 1/8 mile track!!!!!! But it takes a "john force" burnout to do it.

Dave:
Are the ss20s as good as the indys???

That sucks, i use these on the slower car and they work great for it.

The blackwall looks fine BTW.

Dave:
Are the ss20s as good as the indys???

The SS20's are what the indy 500's turned into. The SS20's are no longer available. They both should be the same tire as I'm told.

RE : Firestone 500

I work at a Bridgestone/Firestone tire plant in South Carolina and the Indy 500 is no longer in production.They were produced at the Wilson, North Carolina facility.All of the molds for this tire have been destroyed. Once all of the backlog tires are sold there will be no more.

There you go, straight from the horses mouth. Buy them up boys! I heard they are 15% off now too!

This is what ticks me off about Firestone...they produced the Dayton brand tire which is basicly the same tire as the Indy 500,then discontinue it.Most of the dirt track cars around here that have to use street tires used the Daytons or Indy 500's because they clean out good and are softer than most.
They have to sell tons of them, so why discontinue something that sells so well?

The Indy's are ugly....get the Goodyear Eagle GT II if you want a decent looking tire for the stock rims. BFG Radial T/A's are ok too, but definitely not the Indy's. And talk about quality, leave a set of Firestone's on your car for two years and they'll crack right up whether you drive it or not.

The BFG's cracked up bad in about 1 1/2 to 2 years.... What about Cooper Cobra's? They dont look to bad but not much cheaper than BFG.

RE : Firestone 500's

The 500's used to be a money tire for the company. It was a reasonable priced tire for the replacement market. But now all of the automakers have gone to these large rim sizes so the replacement market for the 500's has dropped drastically. Although the company makes more money on replacement tires verses the manufactuer market it cost the company money to produce that tire when the sales have dropped so low. I am almost positive you won't see a shortage of those tires for a while though due to the high number of them sitting in a warehouse waiting on people to buy them.