do headers cause turbo lag?

Mikes86Buick

are headers worth it??
i've read that the increased flow takes the turbo longer to spool? any opinions? and if so..... what are the recommended brands? thanks

Factory headers are good for up to 550+. Changing them might increase your lag time.

its not so much flow in volume experts debate, its more like exhaust pulsations from the header design and then combining that with the location of the turbo then combining that with hot side exhaust design.

headers definitely are a big part of the spool equation IMHO

It's always been my understanding that larger tube headers do increase lag time due to lower velocities. When I bought my car it had a stock long block with a 60 turbo and ATR headers that the previous owner installed. Car was a dog untill I installed a loose converter. I would probably have coated stockers if they didn't come with the car.

Like everyone said, they can but...
If your headers are good why replace something so you have to make more changes. I know why I'm doing it but there's lots of changes I'm dong so this shouldn't be an issue for my build. Do your reasearch and search on the board some to get a better idea.

Are you asking if headers are responsible for the time it takes a motor/turbo combination to pressurize the intake to some value?

Meaning are headers they cause of lag?

I don't know if there is a good answer for increasing header size. I run 1.5" primaries on a pretty much off the shelf ATR headers. If I where looking for upgrades I wouldn't be looking at headers until they were an issue such as turbo location and cracking.

Hence the "+" my good friend....:biggrin:

Why put a number then? Are they ok at 1300hp? If someone wants to know where there a restriction id post where they become a problem. Ive had them at 700+hp and others have too. I dont have a comparison to others on iron heads though. If 3 bolt i dont see much documented benefit to going with aftermarket as far as hp is concerned

Why put a number then? Are they ok at 1300hp? If someone wants to know where there a restriction id post where they become a problem. Ive had them at 700+hp and others have too. I dont have a comparison to others on iron heads though. If 3 bolt i dont see much documented benefit to going with aftermarket as far as hp is concerned

to me it seems like the benefit just isn't there. as far as i can see there's more people on here without that mod included in their signiture.

to me it seems like the benefit just isn't there. as far as i can see there's more people on here without that mod included in their signiture.
For 99% of the posters on here it probably is no benefit or little benefit. Dont be fooled by sigs either especially if they have no times posted in there. A lot of 10 second build 12 sec cars if you know what i mean.

I don't know if there is a good answer for increasing header size. I run 1.5" primaries on a pretty much off the shelf ATR headers. If I where looking for upgrades I wouldn't be looking at headers until they were an issue such as turbo location and cracking.

Exactly why I bought mine, got tired of cracks.

I have had stock headers and the ATR's on the same car (stock longblock, 61bb turbo, pte fmic, etc) and noticed no difference in spool up between the two. I'm sure if you looked at datalogs, you might see a slim difference, but "seat of the pants" yielded no difference.

I think headers slowing down a car is one of those myths that gets passed down over the years.

I'm still using stock headers and they make good power with a fairly quick spool of my 62 turbo. I run a 3" downpipe that splits into two 2-1/2 exhaust pipes over the axle to the stock location behind the rear wheels. Nothing radical here. I welded them up with bracing a few years back, had them squared and they haven given me any problems since. I'm happy with he setup but had to make a new crossover pipe due to it splitting.

I've run a best of 11.18 @ 123 mph on a 109 block with cleaned up iron heads and cleaned up port matched stock intake setup. That 123 mph means I could go high 10's if I try. My only issue really is the 50# injectors that run out of fuel even with two #15 nozzles on the progressive alky setup (need to do some tuning now).

I road tested a stock appearing GN in Jacksonville some yahoo put 2" headers on with a big turbo and the thing was a dog for what he claimed he had in it. Would not build over 14# boost (took forever to get to the 14# too) and no faster than a bone stock turbo. My son was with me in the back seat and asked the owner, who thought it ran great, why the car was soooooooo slow. I took him for a ride in mine and he wanted to know how to get his to do the same. I told him to start over.

Mikey

I think headers slowing down a car is one of those myths that gets passed down over the years.

I will remind you of the Hooker header debacle. They slow the spool down a lot because of the way they're made. That is an unfortunate fact and they have yet to fix the design for some stupid reason.:confused:

I'm still using stock headers and they make good power with a fairly quick

I've run a best of 11.18 @ 123 mph on a 109 block with cleaned up iron heads and cleaned up port matched stock intake setup. That 123 mph means I could go high 10's if I try. My only issue really is the 50# injectors that run out of fuel even with two #15 nozzles on the progressive alky setup (need to do some tuning now).

Ive gone 126@3600 with 50's at about 80% dc with a diy alky setup. You should easily be able to go over 130 with 2 m15's on top of the 50's

I will remind you of the Hooker header debacle. They slow the spool down a lot because of the way they're made. That is an unfortunate fact and they have yet to fix the design for some stupid reason.:confused:

I had some Hookers on my car when I bought it. My car spooled sloooowwwww. I put some TA headers because the guy I got my car from had chunked the stockers. By taking off the Hookers it felt like I gained 50HP and it would instantly spool up and fry the back tires. I guess the Hookers were thought to be good back in the day but not for my combo of a TA60 turbo and stock IC at that time.

87NAT>>> in ur sig it says heads & intake after stock block..does that mean ur heads & intake are stock or you have heads & intake(ported ones)..11.20 is moving pretty good..

I had some Hookers on my car when I bought it. My car spooled sloooowwwww. I put some TA headers because the guy I got my car from had chunked the stockers. By taking off the Hookers it felt like I gained 50HP and it would instantly spool up and fry the back tires. I guess the Hookers were thought to be good back in the day but not for my combo of a TA60 turbo and stock IC at that time.