DIY Alcohol Injection - Pump Selection Criteria

motorhead

motorhead mike
I am in the midst of cobbling back together a later SMC kit (that I believe is non-progressive) with the factory coolant resevior bottle.

The pump was pooched and leaking from the body so I tossed it. I decided to run an in line Bosch pump that I had laying around that specs out like so:

Bosch 0 580 254 984 Inline Fuel Pump
Bosch 984 fuel pumps mount inline (out side of your gas tank),
most commonly rear center under your car or truck.
Each Bosch 0-580-254-984 fuel pump provides 165 LPH of flow and operate at 72 PSI.

Bosch 984 Fuel Pump Specs:
Bosch Part Number: 0580254984
Minimum Current: 12 Volts
Operating Pressure: 72 PSI (5 Bar)
Minimum Flow @ Outlet: 43.6 GPH (165 LPH)
Fuel Pump Location: In-Line

Fuel Pump Connections:
Inlet: 12mm (3/8") x 1.5
Outlet: M12 x 1.5
Electrical: Positive M4 / Negative M5

I can confirm that it does in fact operate at 72psi @ 12V; this was through a .025" nitrous pill. I didn't take the time to measure the flow... I'll take the pump's word for it.

But, is this enough pressure/flow for meth injection?

Arguably it is the same pressure as my car's fuel system sees under boost (43.5 base + 28-30psi @ 1:1 compensation). If not, I'll just run it to the back of a nitrous fogger with some E85 and run a wet 50-shot out of the hole. LOL.

Thoughts?

That pump is not designed for methanol. So it will work until it seizes up. Typically not a long time.

And if you run 28 psi.. and your pump is good for 72 psi pressure=44 lbs effective.. thats not a lot of methanol.. unless your using a really large orfice that wont atomize the liquid.

The nitrous comment.. dont know what to make of it.

Stick with the propain if its working for you.

That pump is not designed for methanol. So it will work until it seizes up. Typically not a long time.

Roger. I'll use something else in the bottle.

And if you run 28 psi.. and your pump is good for 72 psi pressure=44 lbs effective.. thats not a lot of methanol.. unless your using a really large orfice that wont atomize the liquid.

I should have elaborated more. I am not ditching the propane because it really is working for me. I am however, looking to complicate my life by running the two systems in tandum; the propane (in reduced quantity) from 18psi to full boost, and the alky kicking in at (say) 25psi to full boost. The reason is to gain some more timing tolerance over the propane through 2nd and 3rd gear which is currently around 21*/19*, respectively (on straight 91).

The nitrous comment.. dont know what to make of it.

If this setup fails at being a meth kit, it would work fine as a secondary fuel system for a baby nitrous setup on E85. Or an intercooler sprayer.

Stick with the propain if its working for you.

;)