Digital LED Tailights for the TR

It's not that big of a deal. I wanted to get them in while the car was in the shop so that I could take some pics, etc......but they will find there way in eventually. It's not your fault.

It's great Scott is keeping up with the small glitches .. good follow up ya can't beat :cool:

Scott,

You may want to double check the position of the switch. Mine shipped in the LEFT hand position and the directions state the sequential is in the RIGHT hand position.

I flipped the switch on the first install and there was no sequential lighting so I took it apart and flipped the switch back to the left and NOW there is sequential lighting. The other taillight I left the switches in the shipped (LEFT) position and they do light up sequential. This is looking at the switch.

It also appears that I DO need the no load flasher as I have hooked up both of the LED kits and they will NOT flash with the stock bulbs removed so I'm off to the store again to grab one and hopefully I will be done today.

I will let you know what happens.

Here we go.

Just got back from auto parts store with the new flasher. See if you can figure this out.

All these functions are WITHOUT the lights on (headlights).

Brakes - Light up with cascade effect - Very cool looking
Left turn no brake- Outside of drivers taillight lights up and cascades off to the left. Awesome!
Right turn no brake - Same as above just opposite side.
Left turn with brake depressed - Outside cascades and inside stays lit as it should. Cool.
Right turn with brake depressed - Functions correctly as well.

Here is where everything goes wrong.
Turn your headlights on and the tailights light up as they should.

Brakes - Function properly as the lights go brighter.
Left turn no brake - Outside of drivers taillight makes ONE cascade and the inside begins to BLINK on and off while the outside just stays brighter after the initial cascade. Uh-oh
Right turn does the same.
Now if you step on the brake pedal the inside light was blinking on and off just goes to steady bright and you now have ZERO blinker effect.

I'm completely stumped and rather bummed out from the whole process.
I bought a system for $250 and have had to make two trips to the parts store. First one was for parts that should have came with the kit and the second was for the flasher that SOME of us may need.

Now I have everything connected as it should be and the system does not function properly.

Scott, you came up with a great idea and I don't want you to take it personal because we need more people like you to do this stuff so we can have better parts for our cars. I'm just stuck here after many hours and I have lights that don't work. I left all my stock parts intact so I at least can go back to that.

Any info you have that I can use is greatly appreciated.

If anyone has installed them please let me know as I would like to finish these sometime soon.

Thanks

Scott,

You may want to double check the position of the switch. Mine shipped in the LEFT hand position and the directions state the sequential is in the RIGHT hand position.

I flipped the switch on the first install and there was no sequential lighting so I took it apart and flipped the switch back to the left and NOW there is sequential lighting. The other taillight I left the switches in the shipped (LEFT) position and they do light up sequential. This is looking at the switch.

It also appears that I DO need the no load flasher as I have hooked up both of the LED kits and they will NOT flash with the stock bulbs removed so I'm off to the store again to grab one and hopefully I will be done today.

I will let you know what happens.
Thanks for the heads up Matt! I'll look at them right now and get back with everyone.

Keep me posted on how everything goes and how they work!

**Well how do you like the overall look and brightness of these? :biggrin:

Scot W.

Dip switch error!!

Okay after closely reviewing my prototypes against the production boards, They are the same! So it seems that Sphagetti Eng. done a printing error! Matt (Tooch) You are correct! ;) While looking at the board (with the dip switch at the top of the board ) the DIP switch needs to be in this position: (LEFT SIDE)!! for the Squential Mode!!

Here is the correct pattern:

LEFT SIDE: Sequential Mode
RIGHT SIDE: Non- Sequential Mode

I will now send everyone an E-mail stating this error.

Thanks for the input Matt! :)

Scot W.

Here we go.

Just got back from auto parts store with the new flasher. See if you can figure this out.

All these functions are WITHOUT the lights on (headlights).

Brakes - Light up with cascade effect - Very cool looking
Left turn no brake- Outside of drivers taillight lights up and cascades off to the left. Awesome!
Right turn no brake - Same as above just opposite side.
Left turn with brake depressed - Outside cascades and inside stays lit as it should. Cool.
Right turn with brake depressed - Functions correctly as well.

Here is where everything goes wrong.
Turn your headlights on and the tailights light up as they should.

Brakes - Function properly as the lights go brighter.
Left turn no brake - Outside of drivers taillight makes ONE cascade and the inside begins to BLINK on and off while the outside just stays brighter after the initial cascade. Uh-oh
Right turn does the same.
Now if you step on the brake pedal the inside light was blinking on and off just goes to steady bright and you now have ZERO blinker effect.

I'm completely stumped and rather bummed out from the whole process.
I bought a system for $250 and have had to make two trips to the parts store. First one was for parts that should have came with the kit and the second was for the flasher that SOME of us may need.

Now I have everything connected as it should be and the system does not function properly.

Scott, you came up with a great idea and I don't want you to take it personal because we need more people like you to do this stuff so we can have better parts for our cars. I'm just stuck here after many hours and I have lights that don't work. I left all my stock parts intact so I at least can go back to that.

Any info you have that I can use is greatly appreciated.

If anyone has installed them please let me know as I would like to finish these sometime soon.

Thanks
Okay Mike, I'm sure because everything else is working great "WITHOUT THE LIGHTS ON" that there is a simple little thing that you are missing somewhere or something that when the running lights ARE ON THEY DON'T WORK PROPERLY!. Double & Tripple check all of your connections again. It seems to me there is something you hooked up wrong on the running lights side somewhere. Because everything works just as it should when the RUNNING LIGHTS ARE OFF!

DID YOU GROUND THE WIRE COMING FROM THE NO-LOAD FLASHER? (VERY IMPORTANT)!!

Well It's sunday and mothers day and i'm down here on the computer instead of being with the wife, So I will call Sphagetti Eng in the morning tomarow and see what I can find out okay? (As a matter of fact i'm going to e-mail your post to them now!)

I'm sure there is a simple solution to these couple little issues.

For one: If I have to supply those "T" block splice connectors myself "I will" thats not a problem..

Secondly: We are going to have some kind of glitches to work out seeing this product is completly brand new and the only one like it. So lets not get too frustrated as we will work these things out and end up with a awesome set of LED tail lights for our car.

I will call them first thing monday morning and You will be the first person I call. Please PM me your phone number.

Thank you!
Scot W.

E-mail sent to the owner of Spahgetti Eng.

I just sent the owner of the company your post in an E-mail and will also call first thing monday morning.

Hang in there and we will get everything working correctly!

Scot W.

Scott,

I ordered the no load flasher from spaghetti because after looking at the one I purchased from Advance Auto its a heavy duty variable load and doesn't have a ground wire. I'm hoping that will rectify the issue. I'm assuming that anyone who ordered this kit will need that part because our stock static flashers won't recognize the load from the LED's. Neither AutoZone, Napa or Advanced Auto Parts carry the No-load flasher near where I live in MA. You may want to let everyone know they probably need it so that they don't run around like I have.

Scott, you have been awesome working with me thru-out the last couple of days of my install. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me on here very quickly. Especially with the holiday today. I did not PM you my number yet as I will wait to see if the new flasher fixes the issue. I hope that they ship it out tomorrow so I can have it ASAP.

Once I get this finished I will post a complete install instruction from my experience and hopefully you won't have to answer the same questions from everyone else that I have already asked.

Thanks again.

Now get to work on the third brake light kit!:D

Scott,

I ordered the no load flasher from spaghetti because after looking at the one I purchased from Advance Auto its a heavy duty variable load and doesn't have a ground wire. I'm hoping that will rectify the issue. I'm assuming that anyone who ordered this kit will need that part because our stock static flashers won't recognize the load from the LED's. Neither AutoZone, Napa or Advanced Auto Parts carry the No-load flasher near where I live in MA. You may want to let everyone know they probably need it so that they don't run around like I have.

Scott, you have been awesome working with me thru-out the last couple of days of my install. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me on here very quickly. Especially with the holiday today. I did not PM you my number yet as I will wait to see if the new flasher fixes the issue. I hope that they ship it out tomorrow so I can have it ASAP.

Once I get this finished I will post a complete install instruction from my experience and hopefully you won't have to answer the same questions from everyone else that I have already asked.

Thanks again.

Now get to work on the third brake light kit!:D
No problem Mike! It is deffinetly a load issue! And it's more than likely that flasher causing it. You see, there is a different load on the tail lighting system without the headlights on than with them on. When the headlights are turned on then it's a different load on the system, thus resulting in the lights not working properly! Because they are already working properly Without the lights!

You deffinetly need to hook the ground wire up for the No-load flashers because it will create a different current flow if you don't. I'm confident the new flasher will work fine!

The flasher seems like it will be a must have. I personally asked the owner of spaghetti eng. about these flashers from the beginning and he insured me that some people will & will not need them. I was ready to add them into the kits but it was mentioned that not everyone may need them.

Thanks!
Scot W.

Some of you might have the problem I had with LED replacement bulbs. I ordered a 2 prong LED flasher, installed it with the new bulbs, and they still didnt' flash, just stayed on solid. Turns out not all 2 prong flashers are wired the same and I ended up swapping the blue and purple wires at the flasher connector and then it worked.

Don't run all over the place trying 20 different flashers, try swapping wires first.

Blue "Tap Connectors"

Here is an e-mail from the owner of Spaghetti eng. today:

Date: Monday, May 12, 2008 12:58 PM
To: sgblhb@charter.net
Subject: RE: Grand National instruction revision!!!!!
Size: 3 KB

Scot,

We are going over your revisions and we will send you the instructions
before we print them for the next batch.

As for the "T" clamp, we do not like to use these connectors as they are not
as reliable and subject to more installation problems. Your customers can
install it how they want but we will provide what is needed for the best
electrical contact.

Thanks,

Michael Muhlbaier

** Well from the looks of this E-mail the "Tap connectors" will have to be purchased by the buyer or if the people that have already purchased there's I can send them to you at my cost seeing that is what I would recomend for the people that do not want to cut the wires. I checked on them today and they are only $2.48 for a box of 50

I will be returning from BG next monday and I will order some of them in bulk if people are intrested in having me send them some.

Please PM me if you want them!
Scot W.

Bg ....

Off to BG! Those of you still waiting for your kits, They will be sent out today or tomarow!! ;) I will talk to everyone when I return. I would send out tracking numbers but I won't be there and you will probably get your kit by the time I return. Anyone that hasn't got there's by the time I return PM me and I will send it to you.

Scot W.

led

still no comp # . Has mine shipped yet . If not I would like to cancel my order and get my money back. I'll purchase them once you get the bugs worked out.

Thanks Brian Verson (618) 973-0297:frown:

Anyone in the first batch get these to work? I must admit I'm getting a little nervous...

I wouldn't get too nervous with your purchase. The kit is very well made and with anything that is new there is sure to be a few bugs that need to be worked out.

I don't know Scot and have never met him so I'm not trying to sell the kits to you or to get you to keep your order. I ordered a kit and so far it looks like I'm the first one to try the install. I'm 90 percent done. Just waiting on a no load flasher that will be here tomorrow and I will be done. I'll post my install experience with what I did to try and help you guys thru it. I'm very particular with my car and have gone slow to make sure everything is very clean and done right. I've kept everything intact so that it can be returned to stock if needed.

I've hit a few gliches when I started and felt very nervous about the purchase but after posting on here a couple of times and dealing with Scot online, you can be confident that you made a good buy. He is very attentive to your questions and answers very fast and honestly. Keep in mind that he is a turbo guy just like us and came up with this product cuz it was something he wanted and offered to us. The lights look unbelievable!! The cascade effect is worth the effort to get them installed. Once a few of us do it then it will be that much easier for the rest of us.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Well Hell if I ever get my kit I might find this out!

I could have already paddled to China and had a 12 yr old make it for me!
Scot you know im just kidding. I know a nice White T with your name on it when you get ready :)