Difference of living in the south vs north

I'll quote from a recent joke. "You don't hear of people retiring and moving to the North."

Hush Puppies

Deep fried corn meal type of thing. Long John Silvers, Red Lobster, Captain D's...Seafood places serves them up.

hush-puppies-sl-653464-x.jpg

I will correct your list for you since you never lived down south but only visited myrtle beach!

North = cool turbo weather (In SUMMER ONLY) Can't drive car at all in winter VERY SALTY!!! LOL Ha, Ha,
South = Heat, COOL nights, 9 HUGE car events to attend every year, NO SALT!!, No real winter and can drive our cars year round!! Great turbo weather here Year Round :biggrin:

North = Skiing, sledding, snowmobiling, driving skills on ice ( BEN THERE DONE THAT!! I was Born and raised in Wisconsin YUK, KEEP IT!! )
South = Skiing in Gatlinburg in T-shirts, driving our cars to car events while your sledding, snowmobiling... ;)

North = Rude & crude, Hurry to get No Where!! (tell it like it is, But COMPLETE A*S HOLES!!) :eek:
South = Slower pace, not in a hurry to get any where, Great weather, Mountain views, Cops wave, people are nice EVERYWHERE you go.

North = good food
South = Good country home cooking food, New York style pizza, Great Mexican food, You know, there are A LOT more people moving here and opening up restaurants with a lot of the food from all over the place!!! So food here is great too!!! ;)

North = Expensive to live, HIGH TAXES, CRIME RATE, GANGS, SH*TTY ROADS, & too many Liberals :mad:
South = I would not know (Let me tell you then!) - Cheap to live, Cheap taxes ($500 a yr on my 150,000 home with 1 acre :biggrin:) Crime rate 50% less, NO GANGS, AWESOME ROADS! and NOT many liberals... :)

SO, To sum this up... MUCH NICER LIVING HERE IN TN!! :biggrin: You can keep the horrible surroundings of downtown life, Grey gloomy weather, Sh*tty roads, Sh*tty air quality, High Taxes, High Crime, Gangs, Fridged Temps of winter, Several feet of snow, Shoveling snow, High insurance costs, High plate renewals, Toll ways, and all your liberals up north... :)

SW.

If you think Tn.Is lacking in gangs/Crime..Maybe you should look at this little paragraph from Wikpedia.Maybe it wont be long before you have a Blood or crypt living near you...

Although in 2004 violent crime in Memphis reached a record low for over a decade, that trend subsequently reversed. In 2005, Memphis was ranked the 4th most dangerous city with a population of 500,000 or higher in the U.S.[16] Crime in Memphis increased in 2005, and has seen a dramatic rise in the first half of 2006. Nationally, cities follow similar trends, and crime numbers tend to be cyclical. Local experts and criminologists cite gang recruitment as one possible cause of the rise in crime in Memphis and to a reduction of 66% of federal funding to the Memphis Police Department.

In the first half of 2006, robbery of businesses increased 52.5%, robbery of individuals increased 28.5%, and homicide increased 18% over the same period of 2005. The Memphis Police Department has responded with the initiation of Operation Blue C.R.U.S.H. (Crime Reduction Using Statistical History), which targets crime hotspots and repeat offenders.[17] Memphis ended 2005 with 154 murders, and 2006 ended with 160. 2007 saw 164 murders and 2008 had 168. In 2006, the Memphis metropolitan area ranked second most dangerous in the nation, it also ranked as most dangerous in 2002 and second most dangerous the year before in 2001. Recently, Memphis ranked second most dangerous among cities over 500,000 in 2007, as well as the second most dangerous metropolitan area once again.[18] In 2006, the Memphis metropolitan area ranked number one in violent crimes for major cities around the U.S according to the FBI's annual crime rankings, whereas it had ranked second in 2005.[19]

Recent statistics show a downward trend in crime in Memphis. Between 2006 and 2008, the crime rate fell by 16%, while the first half of 2009 saw a reduction in serious crime of over 10% from the previous year. The Memphis Police Department's use of the FBI National Incident-Based Reporting System, which is a more detailed method of reporting crimes than that used in many other major cities, has been cited as a reason for Memphis's frequent appearance on lists of most dangerous U.S. cities

Also...Memphis looks to be a lovely place,Last I checked,That was Part of Tn...Right?:biggrin:

If you think Tn.Is lacking in gangs/Crime..Maybe you should look at this little paragraph from Wikpedia.Maybe it wont be long before you have a Blood or crypt living near you...

Although in 2004 violent crime in Memphis reached a record low for over a decade, that trend subsequently reversed. In 2005, Memphis was ranked the 4th most dangerous city with a population of 500,000 or higher in the U.S.[16] Crime in Memphis increased in 2005, and has seen a dramatic rise in the first half of 2006. Nationally, cities follow similar trends, and crime numbers tend to be cyclical. Local experts and criminologists cite gang recruitment as one possible cause of the rise in crime in Memphis and to a reduction of 66% of federal funding to the Memphis Police Department.

In the first half of 2006, robbery of businesses increased 52.5%, robbery of individuals increased 28.5%, and homicide increased 18% over the same period of 2005. The Memphis Police Department has responded with the initiation of Operation Blue C.R.U.S.H. (Crime Reduction Using Statistical History), which targets crime hotspots and repeat offenders.[17] Memphis ended 2005 with 154 murders, and 2006 ended with 160. 2007 saw 164 murders and 2008 had 168. In 2006, the Memphis metropolitan area ranked second most dangerous in the nation, it also ranked as most dangerous in 2002 and second most dangerous the year before in 2001. Recently, Memphis ranked second most dangerous among cities over 500,000 in 2007, as well as the second most dangerous metropolitan area once again.[18] In 2006, the Memphis metropolitan area ranked number one in violent crimes for major cities around the U.S according to the FBI's annual crime rankings, whereas it had ranked second in 2005.[19]

Recent statistics show a downward trend in crime in Memphis. Between 2006 and 2008, the crime rate fell by 16%, while the first half of 2009 saw a reduction in serious crime of over 10% from the previous year. The Memphis Police Department's use of the FBI National Incident-Based Reporting System, which is a more detailed method of reporting crimes than that used in many other major cities, has been cited as a reason for Memphis's frequent appearance on lists of most dangerous U.S. cities

Also...Memphis looks to be a lovely place,Last I checked,That was Part of Tn...Right?:biggrin:
YEP! and that Part happens to be over 10 hours west away from me!! ;) I live at the foothills to the smokey mountians and yeah there is your basic stupid childish minor crime but it's FAR AWAY from the crime in Memphis.. :rolleyes:

We still have Hillbillys, KKK, and the white supremcey groups right here in E. TN that tend to ward of the welcome of the Crypts and the bloods!! ;)

59* Today and sunny!

MERRY CHRISTMAS! :biggrin:

I forgot to mention...I do have a place in S.Carolina also(HH Island)...I go once or Twice a year for a few weeks.

My favorite thing about the time spent in HH is besides the nice weather,And friendly people,Is being able to listen to all my favorite songs from 15 years ago on the radio...Thats about how far back in time it is down there...:biggrin:

I listen to all my favorite songs from 15 years ago on the radio...Thats about how far back in time it is down there...:biggrin:
I consider that a good thing!! and it ultimately depends on the stations you have near you that come in!!! We live right next to Knoxville so we have all the latest songs playing on the radio XM helps too! :) Not sure if you read ALL the posts in this thread or not but I happened to live in Milwaukee, WI for 30 years before moving south so your kind of preching to the quire on life up north and the life down south. Plus E. TN was our vacation spot since I was 17 yrs old and when I was turned 30 I decided to move here and be on vacation year round.. ;) When we want to even move MORE back in time we spend time at our cottage (that sleeps 16 people) in the Cherokee National Forrest with No TV's, No Cell service, Just Bonfires, beer drinking, Trout fishing, Deer hunting, Bear hunting with bears and wild Hogs walking around the cabin at night!! LOVE IT!!

yep! and that Part happens to be over 10 hours west away from me!! ;) I live at the foothills to the smokey mountians and yeah there is your basic stupid childish minor crime but it's FAR AWAY from the crime in Memphis.. :rolleyes:

We still have Hillbillys, KKK, and the white supremcey groups right here in E. TN that tend to ward of the welcome of the Crypts and the bloods!! ;)

59* Today and sunny!

MERRY CHRISTMAS! :biggrin:

I dont know if I could hack 60 degree Christmas...It would feel very strange after all these years of cold Christmas,Even though our winters have been extremely mild the last 10 years or so...It is 40 degrees here right now,With some leftover snow from last weekend that is melting quick.

I like the area of NJ I live in,I am right on the water(2 min Drive)..the crime around here is just about non existent,Most you hear about is DWI arrests.45 min north or south of me You hit Newark Or Camden...They are the armpit of the earth.

Taxes...In my town arent that bad,But I guess it all depends what you consider bad...I know the average tax bill for a $450k home will run you around 6k a year...The next town over from me,That same house will run 10k a year in taxes.

The roads around my area are very good...No salt is used on the roads,period..We have sand to spare.,The schools are excellent,But I still choose to send my Daughters to Private school.

I commute into NY....people always complain about New Yorkers...But I can tell you,For the most part,They are a great bunch of people...It is the Damn Tourists and Foreigners that can drive you absolutely crazy around the City.

As long as your happy where you live,I dont care if its in a cave in a active Volcano...Thats all that matters.

To each there own! :biggrin:

40* and sunny...I think Im going to jump on some internet down south radio station...Listen to that new hit single from Motley Crew.....Home Sweet Home...:biggrin:

You can thank Katrina for that! All the trash flowed up stream from Hurricane Katrina!
I too moved from Cincy. But I moved to Jackson Mississippi and LOVE IT! Thanks little Davey.