Did bb's dominate any class at BG

tyrod

Curious to know if the ball bearing turbos gave enough advantage to win any of the classess at Bowling Green, or are their main advantage on the street? Are they an advantage at all over a properly matched combo of original style and convertor? Just the facts, please.:)

I know for a fact that both TSO and TSM were both won using regular non ball bearing turbos. I do not know of the other clasess.

just took an Innovative dual BB 70 off my car......they have zero power advantage over a "regular" turbo and properly matched converter

they have a great big advantage to the vendors that sell them ($$$$)

I thought they are supposed to spool a lot easier, and require a lot less converter to run a given number. :confused:

yeah, they spool quicker, but with a bigger turbo you still need about the same converter anyhow

on the race track, they have no advantage

Didn't run across anyone down there running one... nor do I know anyone that has one on their car now.

However, we do have a guy in our area that just switched from a 72BB to a 70GTQ. On the dyno he picked up about 60hp with the GTQ!

not trying to lecture anyone about street racing but if you have a fast turbo buick about the only place to let it hang out is on the freeway and spooling is not much of an issue, if you want to run light to light get something a little slower so you could put your foot into for more then a few seconds.

Originally posted by azgn
last I checked, it was illegal to race "on the street"

Very well said sir!

You've just earned my utmost respect with that quote.

RASR (Racers Againts Street Racing) My son of just 11 years is a member and, he's always pounding it in my head to drive safe and slow.

Well, if I ever get satisified w/ my wideband chip code I'm still working on and bolt on my new turbo, hopefully sometime this weekend depending on the weather, I'll be able to provide some interesting info. I'm switching from a TE44 to a CPT-66BB which will be the only change and is the starting point for my next stage of buildup.

I've already logged the time it takes to hit peak boost from a dead stop hitting it from DEAD idle via logging MAP to Directscan(1.39 sec avg of 2 runs which is 15 to 17 MPH) so it should make for an interesting comparison w/ a stock D5 converter. I also plan to log time to boost leaving from just when the first led on the boost gauge is lit as my gauge is actually accurate and I should be able to keep the car hooked up w/ the sticky DOT's on there at that level. I'll also see what RPM it takes build boost to get each turbo to zero and maybe 5 psi as I think RPM and TPS voltage may be interesting.

So maybe this weekend or sometime next week I'll have some results. If anyone has any other testing suggestions let me know. With these time to boost runs I'll also of course have some short blast data like 0-50 or something but don't want to get lean w/ the new turbo as w/ my extra 7th injector I'm only at about 44lbs w/ some 60's ready to go in after the turbo but I'm onyl running about 16 psi at the moment so I'll have to dial that in too.

Originally posted by BoostKillsStres
I'm switching from a TE44 to a CPT-66BB which will be the only change and is the starting point for my next stage of buildup.

Very interested in your findings........

I think you should test where both those turbos like to be.

Around 25psi. :)

The 66 would probably like to see a 3000 stall converter too.

Unless it's dual BB.

A properly matched converter on the street is a bit different than one made for a one purpose race car too. ;)

Less heat and more street. :cool:

I wouldn't go back to a non-BB turbo. :cool:

Its a single BB and I have a Art Carr 3000-3200 going in after I do some of the above testing then tune in the 60's so hopefully that will make a nice street combo and I can hopefully get it spooling as good as it does now...time will tell then maybe add an alky coctail back into the mix and see if that satisfies my need for speed for a while....if not I may go after the rest of the plan champ iron heads, small roller cam, roller rockers and ported intake.....but I'm going to try and hold off on all that a little while longer...man....where do ya stop....:D

I got my 11 on pump gas and alky. so I am giving up on the dream of ported heads and cam. in my heavy 3955lb. car.

No need for them in the daily driver. :)

You will love the BB on the street.

My friend Scott used that one (66) on his car and loved it, but then again after a while he went to ported heads and cam. ;)

Alky. is a good way to get the boost up and make power without having to go into the motor just yet.