DEX-COOL in Turbo Buicks

t-topflyer

I know there was and is some controversy over DEX-COOL, and that there was a big lawsuit and settlement a few years back that linked DEX-COOL to intake gasket failures in GM 3.1, 3.4, 3.8 and 4.3L engines. Seemed the issue was mainly due to lack of maintenance and running the system low on coolant for long periods. I've seen some argument over whether the gaskets themselves were the main issue and DEX-COOL was blammed for their inferiority, or whether the coolant was really the issue.

Since the cooling system in the Turbo Buicks predates the system in cars that came with DEX-COOL from the factory, I wanted to see if anyone knew whether DEX-COOL being used in a turbo buick resulted in the same types of gasket failures and cooling system issues.

There are no plastic gaskets on turbo buicks...I would say no. If you have an Fbody Radiator stay away from it. I just use green stuff anyways. KISS method.:)

Dex-cool garbage

Oa , organic acid . Works great in an air tight system .gm has yet to produce one . So its still causing problems . I refuse to sell it anymore not worth the hassles . Plus old buicks need low silicate green .stay away from all others .

I used Dex Cool for a little bit. It started chunking up on me. So I flushed it out. I will never use it again. It already ate 2 intake gasket on 2 GM V6s that I had. Green only for me. :)

Why on earth would you want to risk using such a questionable product after all the negatives?????

My personal experience from using it many years ago:
It started a mud pool in the bottom of my reservoir, and found out about a year after using it, that it had done the same thing to the bottom third of my radiator. :mad:

Dexcool has an interesting property to it. No silica in it which is a good thing, but if it's exposed to high temps and isn't in a completely sealed system it turns to a mud like consistancy. Richard Clark stated he did the testing in an open beaker and as the temps went up the stuff just broke down.

I prefer the universal antifreeze and I don't mean the old green stuff. It's kinda yellow/green instead of bright green and doesn't contain silica so if you have an internal water leak of some sort it won't damage the bearings.

Shocked

dexcool has an interesting property to it. No silica in it which is a good thing, but if it's exposed to high temps and isn't in a completely sealed system it turns to a mud like consistancy. Richard clark stated he did the testing in an open beaker and as the temps went up the stuff just broke down.

I prefer the universal antifreeze and i don't mean the old green stuff. It's kinda yellow/green instead of bright green and doesn't contain silica so if you have an internal water leak of some sort it won't damage the bearings.

gm says this chit is good for 5 years or 150,000 miles brand new cars ome into my shops with the mud pool . When i tell them they need to flush it out they think im just selling a service . They go back to gm and they bullchit them into keeping it even though its doing damage . I guess they feel they will be back and gm will get a chance to jack them on a warranty repair . The lawsuit was for a reason . Gm kept saying the dexcool did not cause the damage so pay up sucker .. Didnt work to well for them in the long run ..gm sludge fluid would be a better term .. Peak global is what i stock for all cars .. No failure rate on this product & will work well in old buicks .. If you want green add a die to it ..

Charlie f1

The mud is caused by all the stop leak pellets gm puts in your brand new car to make dexcool work for a while . They say the average repair cost to get rid of the dexcool issues is about $ 1100.oo per car or truck . Gm stats ..

The mud is caused by all the stop leak pellets gm puts in your brand new car to make dexcool work for a while . They say the average repair cost to get rid of the dexcool issues is about $ 1100.oo per car or truck . Gm stats ..

Not arguing here but I'd say ask Mr Clark since he's a chemical engineer.:biggrin: He did the testing and I'm just paraphrasing him after all.:smile:

There's lots of companies that have stated BS when it came to a "faulty" product. Pinto gas tanks, the explorer tire issue, which really was a design flaw that ford made firestone produce. The so called exploding gas tank issue with mid 70's to late 80's chevy pick ups.:eek:

SOO,read the threads fast ,what is the best brand name antifreeze that wont eat up crank bearings or will just water do it and will water damage bearings

I didn't use any stop leak tabs. :confused:

I know

i didn't use any stop leak tabs. :confused:

gm puts it in ever car with dexcool from the factory . To keep the air out of the system so it does not get air and mud up. All the stop leak sooner or later ends up in the coolant tank .. Looks like poop .

Peak global

soo,read the threads fast ,what is the best brand name antifreeze that wont eat up crank bearings or will just water do it and will water damage bearings

is a good product . Stay away from prime also . Peak global extended life . Good also for 5 years or 150,000 miles ..

gm puts it in ever car with dexcool from the factory . To keep the air out of the system so it does not get air and mud up. All the stop leak sooner or later ends up in the coolant tank .. Looks like poop .

I understand that. But as an 86 GN it didn't come that way from the factory. I added DEXcool a few years later. Big mistake.

Oh

i understand that. But as an 86 gn it didn't come that way from the factory. I added dexcool a few years later. Big mistake.

i see. Be glad you did'nt add stop leak. Your problems would have been worse .. Lucky you ..