Delayed reverse and drive engagement?

clusolynn

Hello, recently rebuilt trans and drilled .060 relief hole in bottom of Lo/reverse drum; read 'somewhere?' this was needed for higher horsepower/RPM engines, could this also be the cause of a delayed reverse/drive engagement? Any guidance appreciated. Thanks, John P.S. asloan5, keep your comments to yourself!

lo rev

Don't believe lo rev. frictions are applied in drive--only rev. and manual low.

Hello, recently rebuilt trans and drilled .060 relief hole in bottom of Lo/reverse drum; read 'somewhere?' this was needed for higher horsepower/RPM engines, could this also be the cause of a delayed reverse/drive engagement? Any guidance appreciated. Thanks, John P.S. asloan5, keep your comments to yourself!

LOT is correct and that hole should not affect what you are talking about. It is not needed IMO,but it should not cause that. Look else where.

Slow engagement in drive could be caused by too much clearance in the forward clutch, low pressure, or a leak somewhere.

sealing rings

If using scarf cut sealing rings on the forward drum---one may have gotten sheared upon assembly. I ahd this happen once and reverse was weak.

Found problem(s)...

Tore down the trans and found several questionable items; installed check ball into feed orifice of 1-2 accumulator, ball not flush with housing possibly causing leakage in this area. I noticed a small cavity in the 1-2 housing that connects 2 spacer plate holes; one feeds the Lo/reverse clutch housing? Another item, the lower solid Teflon seal on the forward drum/shaft was slightly marred during assembly; definitely leaking in this area. I replaced the Lo/reverse clutch housing that I'd drilled a .060 relief into the the edge; not sure if this caused anything, but...? Trans reassembled with same clutch packs, seals etc., pressures are where they need to be; no delay in reverse and very firm shifts. The 2-3 shift feels as if it is binding/dragging? May need to enlarge one hole in spacer plate(which I also replaced). Very happy with results and StageRight Transbrake operation. Thanks for all the responses, John.:cool:

The 2-3 shift feels as if it is binding/dragging? May need to enlarge one hole in spacer plate(which I also replaced). John.:cool:

John, the binding is caused by the dual feed. The direct clutch is engaging before the band is pushed off. Most guys just live with it but there is a fix for it. Do not open the feed hole to the direct clutch as this may cause another issue...2-3-2 hunting.

Tore down the trans and found several questionable items; installed check ball into feed orifice of 1-2 accumulator, ball not flush with housing possibly causing leakage in this area. I noticed a small cavity in the 1-2 housing that connects 2 spacer plate holes; one feeds the Lo/reverse clutch housing? Another item, the lower solid Teflon seal on the forward drum/shaft was slightly marred during assembly; definitely leaking in this area. I replaced the Lo/reverse clutch housing that I'd drilled a .060 relief into the the edge; not sure if this caused anything, but...? Trans reassembled with same clutch packs, seals etc., pressures are where they need to be; no delay in reverse and very firm shifts. The 2-3 shift feels as if it is binding/dragging? May need to enlarge one hole in spacer plate(which I also replaced). Very happy with results and StageRight Transbrake operation. Thanks for all the responses, John.:cool:

Fwd sealing rings were the cluprit..good find!:smile: