Please Help With Tranny Issue!!

Procharged GTA

Hi everyone....awhile back we rebuilt our 2004R and it shifts great and everything...but we have been chasing a "resonate" sound that seems like it comes right through the body of the car...alot of interior noise...like a "whirling" sound....similar to a locked up fan clutch or something. We thought it may be improperly setup rear gears at first until closer inspection from driving. Here is what it does.... an example is if you take off from a stop sign,just normal driving....taking off in manual low....when the car starts gaining RPM, right from the start,the sounds comes into it,shift it to manual second gear,still in it,but holding the car at the exact RPM and speed....as soon as you move the shifter to manual 3rd...and BEFORE IT SHIFTS TO 3rd...all you have to do is move the shifter to 3rd......the sound completely disappears...but at that same rpm and speed...all you have to do is pull the shifter back to manual 2nd....and the noise comes right back....push the shifter back to 3rd....it disappears,even before it shifts to 3rd. We thought it may have been front planetary....but we took the trans out today and stripped it down...and we can't physically see anything wrong with any of the planets in it other than the pinion end play... the rear planet has about. 025" and the front planet has about, .028-029"....but can't really see anything wrong with the gear teeth. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this? Everything looks fine internally....here are the mods.....
10 vane pump,all mods done by Ck's manual
Hardened pump rings,high rev pump slide spring .500"/.296" boost valves
Transgo Reprogramming kit,but using CK's new seperator plate for Dual Feeding
Upgraded to 3 clutches Alto Red Eagle clutches and Kolenes in O.D.
CK's Billet input shaft with solid teflon rings
Dual Fed Direct Drum with 6 Alto Red Eagles and Kolenes,and .060" bleed hole drilled,and all 16 spings installed Alto Red Eagle Wide Band,and Billet Band Anchor Superior Billet Servo(with cushion spring retained)
Ck's Billet Forward Drum with Alto Red Eagle clutches and Kolenes,and solid teflon rings
Rear Planet lube hole drilled to .125"
Drilled .060" bleed hole Low/Reverse clutch housing,and used 2 spring washers on top of each other,Alto Red Eagle clutches with Kolenes
Governer has a TCI lightweight spring in it
1/2 Accumulator blocked with 1/4" checkball,left out piston and spring assembly,(recommened by Ck's manual for 400hp or more engines)
3/4 Accumulator,we used a spacer that stiffens the spring,it is not deleted
All valve body mods was done using the Transgo kit,and also removed the 2-1 kickdown cup plug from the valve body,as stated in Ck's manual
Continental 10" 3000 stall converter non-lockup

This is in a 1986 Trans Am with a 383 SBC and D1SC Procharger.....daily driven.....never raced....around 600hp....can someone please help us out with your opinion of what to look for? Definatley seems related to the tyranny the way it acts..... thanks,Brian

Sounds like pump noise from your description

Thanks for the fast response Bison..... what would be causing the pump to make noise in manual low and manual second....but not 3rd and overdrive? What in the pump would cause the noise? Thanks again....

In 1st & 2nd the Pinion gears in the Front Carrier are spinning with Internal gear, in 3rd they are locked with the Internal & Sun gear driving. In say replace/rebuild the Front Carrier & see.
Did they only have end play or also wobble/twist clearance on Pins?

Hi SSedan.....just end play in the planets.... no detectable wobble.... we were thinking it was the planets also....it just seems way to loud to be pump noise...but we could be wrong.... I read a lot of people having pump noise on here....but its usually described as a "buzz" or "power steering pump low on fluid". Our noise is way louder than that.....best way i can describe it is it sounds just like an old style clutch fan...when the clutch goes bad and locks up and "whirly" as well.....kinda hard to explain....it actually resonates through the floor boards of the car....but again.....it seems that you can be easily fooled with this stuff... :)

Thanks for the fast response Bison..... what would be causing the pump to make noise in manual low and manual second....but not 3rd and overdrive? What in the pump would cause the noise? Thanks again....

Line pressure is higher when in manual 1st or 2nd.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Ok...we have been inspecting a little more this morning....and I had read on here about Pressure Regulator valve mods that's in the pump....we forgot we had done this.... we ground off the PR valve and put a flat at the end of it.....and i have read that can wipe out engine thrusts and converters... good thing its only got a few miles on it.... could this be out noisy problem?

Attachments

• 2012-12-11_10-33-32_777.jpg
    2012-12-11_10-33-32_777.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • 2012-12-11_10-33-07_563.jpg
    2012-12-11_10-33-07_563.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
We also had a white PR spring in it.....that's what the Trans Go papers say to use.....is this the correct color?

Ok.....I think we have come to the conclusion that it must be hydraulic noise...I called Chris at CK.....at explained everything to him too...and he said it is pump noise related also... so I went ahead and ordered a NEW blueprinted GM pump from him....hope this fixes our noise problems!! :). Chris is a very helpful guy to deal with.... thanks Chris!! And thanks to everybody who replied here....I appreciate it very much....

Pretty sure that .060 bleed hole in the direct drum is not needed with CK plate. The book preceeded the plate might want to call and ask CK before you reassemble.

Also did you grind a flat on the top of the PR valve ? I can see the 1st land below that is gone....I would replace that PR valve and grind only two small flats on the land you completely removed. That mod is for full time convertor lube and when you grind the land off this is accomplished but pressure in the TC can take out the thrust bearing. So you two small flats does the same thing without creating excess pressure in the TC.

Bison or any other expert correct me if I am wrong.....;)