Degreeing a camshaft - needed or not?

syclone98

I'm about to install a camshaft in a motor I'm rebuilding and although this might be a stupid question, I'd like to know if degreeing it is really necessary.

I've replaced camshafts in several different motors over the years and have always just lined up the dots on the timing gears and have never had a problem as a result.

If it matters any, here are all the cam specs that I have for it:

• 255 duration intake
  • 260 exhaust
  • @ 50 thousands 205 intake 210 exhaust
  • lift - 456 intake, 470 exhaust (with 1.6 rocker)
  • 285 intake 294 exhaust (lift at cam)
  • LSA - 110
  • 4 degree advance
  • install straight up intake certerline 106 degrees
  • hydraulic camshaft
  • standard hydraulic lifter
  • standard spring 120-130 springs

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Christopher

Degreed my last two camshafts..... they ended up going in straight up anyway, after making the checks. Could've saved the time, but glad I checked.

Properly installing a camshaft (degreeing or phasing) is as important as any other spec when building a motor. I would no more install a camshaft without degreeing, than I would install piston rings w/o checking the gap. My point is, you can get away with it sometime, or you can do it correctly and know what's into your motor. I have seen timing gears off more than camshafts, and either can lead to excessive engine temps, and loss of power.

If I remember correctly, back when I raced a small block Chevelle, retarding the cam gives more power coming off the line as opposed to retarding it which will give more power on the top end...or is it the other way around?? Maybe it's different for a carbureted engine than a turbocharged one...:confused:

Claude

Toofastforyou, advancing the cam gives you a bit more bottom end power whereas retarding the cam gives you a little more top end power. I don't think it makes a difference between a fuel injected engine and a carbed engine.

As far as to if it's needed or not, I've heard you can get away with not doing it, but if you want every little bit of power your engine can make, it's a good idea to degree it. Last engine I built I didn't degree the cam (just installed it straight up) and it worked fine, and had lots of power. :cool: