Decided on Grundy for insurance

Renthorin

Lone Wolf
They quoted me 447.33 for 20k of coverage.

I have not sent the paperwork back yet so does anybody have any horror stories about them?

They were the least expensive of Grundy - Hagerty - American Collectors.

I like the fact they have no millage limitations, not that I put tooooo many on a year.

TIA for any input.

I have not sent the paperwork back yet so does anybody have any horror stories about them?

They were the least expensive of Grundy - Hagerty - American Collectors.

I like the fact they have no millage limitations, not that I put tooooo many on a year.

TIA for any input.

If you can live with all the limitations (not just mileage), I guess it's OK.

Yup. I don't drive the car except for car club or car show stuff and farting around town on my own personal cruises. I don't go shopping or leave it anywhere I can't see it.

I don't race either because I am slooowwwwwww

Well no standard insurance will cover racing, and Grundy doesn't have mileage limitations or any others besides don't drive it to work.

They (Grundy) declined me on my '70 Buick GS just a couple of weeks ago as I answered on the application that I might use the car for an occassional errand or as back up transportation if needed. I went with Hagerty as they did not have a problem there. Be careful and know what they will accept and limit for you. They were least expensive for me too but sometimes least expensive isn't best.

Well no standard insurance will cover racing, and Grundy doesn't have mileage limitations or any others besides don't drive it to work.

Not true.... see my above post with recent application made to Grundy and declined.

I don't run errands in the GN...too afraid of door dings and soccer moms/dads.

I do stop for food on the way back from events and they said that is ok but I should park where I can watch the car - duh!

I drive to the local A&W sometimes but eat outside in the car or at a picnic table next to it. They may not like that but if anything happens I can say I am coming home from a club event and I have club members who will back me up :cool:

Hagerty wants 637 or so and I don't want to pay that much more for allowances I won't use.

Grundy wouldn't insure my Turbo T. They said it was a "used car". I guess they have no idea what a Turbo T is. Oh well, Hagerty had no problem. Both my cars are insured with Hagerty. Oh also no limitations. Gotta love that.

do u have to send pics of your garage?.....thats what i heard...i have my gn covered in a lot and thats what held me back:(

I just insured my 13K mile TTA with State Farm for $19K. That was as high as they would go so far. I have not shown them any pics of the car or the car itself. Cost me $95 every 6 months. This is in their showcar class insurance. I can only drive the car 2000 miles a year. Which is no problem for me.

Ron - I do not have to send them picts of my garage, only the front and side of the car. I do have to agree that the car is kept in a locked and enclosed garage but not prove it.

Sweet 6 - I take it you are not in Michigan :) On top of any insurance we pay we also have to pay an additional 125 in tax a year unless the car is over 25 years old :-(

Is your SF insurance "state value" or "Agreed value"? Big difference. I have the car with AA currently and even if I get a written appraisal at 20k my agent said "all that gets you is a bargaining chip. We would still have to deal with adjusters and figure in market value and depreciation/inflation of value.

That is why I want an "agreed value" company

American Collectors is a close second in price to Grundy. About 30 bucks a year more but they have a 2500 a year mileage cap. Still waiting to talk to them about that.

They told me they would give me $19K for the car if it was totaled or stolen. Market value for this car is low $20s. I just saw a TTA simialr to mine sell for $23K on E-bay. So at $19K it is under insured. I turned down an offer to sell it for $20K. But it is highly unlikey the car is going to be stolen or destroyed. I may go back to get it raised later on.

I think one reason I have great rates is becauase our family has two houses and 9 cars insured with the same agent.

I use them, but that quote seems a little high unless maybe you're near Detroit. My GN is insured for $18k and its about $250 for it..maybe it's because I have 3 cars with them, but for 23k, 22k, and 18k it was around $700 total for the year.

As for the garage thing, you don't have to prove it, some you do have to send in a pic of the garage, and Grundy requires it to be in a locked garage for storage overnight, BUT..if it gets stolen one night and it wasn't in a garage, they most likely will not pay.

As for the garage thing, you don't have to prove it, some you do have to send in a pic of the garage, and Grundy requires it to be in a locked garage for storage overnight, BUT..if it gets stolen one night and it wasn't in a garage, they most likely will not pay.[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats what i was figuring....i guess i will keep the insurance i have now:frown:

Typed too soon :)

Just got a preliminary quote from Condon & skelly.

443.33 for 20k agreed value. So 5 bucks less than Grundy. Only noticeable difference is Grundy has no millage limitation and C&S has 2500 a year.

Contacted State Farm and they said in Michigan I can not be covered as a collector car as 1987 is too young :-(

Looks like Grundy it is :)