Dave Bamford goes 9.23 in testing for TSM.

86brick

It's just a V6 Brick.....
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U--0oqO63ZI[/YOUTUBE]

Nice to see Dave back out with the car, looks like the field in TSM is getting stacked and we might have a good ol' fashion gun fight to see who can come out on top and run that 9.0 or possibly that 8.9x pass for bragging rights! Several years ago I never would've thought these guys would be pushing the limits so far with the stock "109" block and what's more with 70mm turbos at 3550lbs!:eek: Simply awesome, and I give all of them props for sticking it out with the 109!:cool:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U--0oqO63ZI[/YOUTUBE]

Nice to see Dave back out with the car, looks like the field in TSM is getting stacked and we might have a good ol' fashion gun fight to see who can come out on top and run that 9.0 or possibly that 8.9x pass for bragging rights! Several years ago I never would've thought these guys would be pushing the limits so far with the stock "109" block and what's more with 70mm turbos at 3550lbs!:eek: Simply awesome, and I give all of them props for sticking it out with the 109!:cool:

+1 props to them all. great passes from everyone. this is making a very tight field.

BTW, gotta love the typical TSM comment at the end of the video~

"Boost must notta gone up." LOL just make sure it stays below that 24 psi limit!:wink: :cool:

BTW, gotta love the typical TSM comment at the end of the video~

"Boost must notta gone up." LOL just make sure it stays below that 24 psi limit!:wink: :cool:

24 is the sacred number lol. I can't wait to get my boost up that high. It's like a personal goal;)

What is your point? :confused:

My point is whats the big deal if you have to stand on it until long after the green to run the numbers.

The run in itself is impressive,but if he actually had to leave on the last yellow,like in real competetive racing ...it wouldn't do it.

You have a low 9 sec car that really runs high 9's low 10's when leaving on time is important.

I get a laugh at all the guys at bowling green and such that get excited about how fast they went after taking an eternity after the green light to get spooled. Then go on to brag and run a whole second slower when it counts or even better get left at the line.

Looks impressive in qualifying but doesn't cut it in elims.

Never seen a turbo Buick do qualifying passes?

Seen too many,thats why they can't race anything other than another buick that takes just as long to spool. A nitroused small block would school the crap out of the TSM guys.

Sixgun86gn, they went out for test and tune. Did you see another car in the other lane NO, the runs were not about reaction time. Dave has always been good at cutting a light when it counts, i think if you lined up beside him you maybe surprised. This is a new combo and first time out runs 9.20's thats impressive in anyone's book.

Sixgun86gn, they went out for test and tune. Did you see another car in the other lane NO, the runs were not about reaction time. Dave has always been good at cutting a light when it counts, i think if you lined up beside him you maybe surprised. This is a new combo and first time out runs 9.20's thats impressive in anyone's book.

I didn't say it wasn't impressive.

I wasn't even bagging on Bamford really,just making mention of all the buick racers and thier notoriously long reaction times.

Sure he cuts a good light when it counts,but how many times have TSM racers matched thier qual time in elims? I would bet rarely.

If I were as experienced as he is at getting a great setup together,I would be able to run those kinds of times first time out too maybe.

Unfortunately I ain't that big into the whole class racing thing,I like to try to be competetive with all different types of cars at the track.

Reaction time is real important in the races I get set up.

Have you ever been to Noble for the Buick vs. Ford races?

This type of stuff gets alot of guys slaughtered when its time to make it count.

My point is whats the big deal if you have to stand on it until long after the green to run the numbers.

The run in itself is impressive,but if he actually had to leave on the last yellow,like in real competetive racing ...it wouldn't do it.

You have a low 9 sec car that really runs high 9's low 10's when leaving on time is important.

I get a laugh at all the guys at bowling green and such that get excited about how fast they went after taking an eternity after the green light to get spooled. Then go on to brag and run a whole second slower when it counts or even better get left at the line.

Hopefully I can get Dave to sit down and work on the practice tree over the winter. :biggrin:

I didn't say it wasn't impressive.

I wasn't even bagging on Bamford really,just making mention of all the buick racers and thier notoriously long reaction times.

Sure he cuts a good light when it counts,but how many times have TSM racers matched thier qual time in elims? I would bet rarely.

If I were as experienced as he is at getting a great setup together,I would be able to run those kinds of times first time out too maybe.

Unfortunately I ain't that big into the whole class racing thing,I like to try to be competetive with all different types of cars at the track.

Reaction time is real important in the races I get set up.

Have you ever been to Noble for the Buick vs. Ford races?

This type of stuff gets alot of guys slaughtered when its time to make it count.

Most of the top racers in TSM do back up their ##'s in eliminations. Understand that they are running a ladder so they will not run any faster than they need to win. When you have a little more on the other guy you can get a little relaxed when you have a 1/4 second on the next guy, so cutting the perfect light in that situation might get you the red light so I don't worry as much about chopping down the tree. I'm sure the TSM guys use the same logic also.

You are way off base there chief.

Most TSM racers take their time to launch during the qualifications. I rarely pay attention to the tree myself. When it comes time to race, it's a different story. For an example, last week we had some grudge racing going on. I ran my best time in my sig below on a -.001 reaction time. The run before that was a .011. So yeah, TSM cars can have a good reaction time and run the number. This year against Jason White, he ran his best TSM legal time against me at NTR during a qualifying pass. His reaction time on a pro tree was a .0XX on a 9.3X run. It's all in the tune and torque converter selection. I have had numerous converters in and out of my car trying to find the correct one that spooled good and had minimal slippage up top.

Watch this video of Steve Hughes and Jason White in the semi's at Norwalk this year. Steve had a .0XX light as well as Jason if I remember right. YouTube - Buick Raceday '08

Most of the top racers in TSM do back up their ##'s in eliminations. Understand that they are running a ladder so they will not run any faster than they need to win. When you have a little more on the other guy you can get a little relaxed when you have a 1/4 second on the next guy, so cutting the perfect light in that situation might get you the red light so I don't worry as much about chopping down the tree. I'm sure the TSM guys use the same logic also.

OK, so I didn't think about it that way. My bad.

I guess because I am gearing up for the Buick vs. Ford race this year (haven't raced my GN in almost 4 yrs) I was projecting my frustration with our losses the last few yrs.

Every yr there are some impressive runs in quals,but in elims nowhere close. We get paired up with a Ford that ran the same in quals or as close as possible. The tree is a pro tree and we get killed because of red lights and late leaving.

Nobody practices in qualifying as if it counts and its frustrating to try and explain to these guys that they aren't getting sandbagged as much as they want to think.

I am pretty nervous myself about being able to be consistent on every pass. Regardless of how my tune/spoolup goes I try to leave on the last yellow and make whatever changes I need to get it where it needs to be on that last yellow.

I am quite sure the TSM,TSO,etc. racers are striving for the same.

You are way off base there chief.

Most TSM racers take their time to launch during the qualifications. I rarely pay attention to the tree myself. When it comes time to race, it's a different story. For an example, last week we had some grudge racing going on. I ran my best time in my sig below on a -.001 reaction time. The run before that was a .011. So yeah, TSM cars can have a good reaction time and run the number. This year against Jason White, he ran his best TSM legal time against me at NTR during a qualifying pass. His reaction time on a pro tree was a .0XX on a 9.3X run. It's all in the tune and torque converter selection. I have had numerous converters in and out of my car trying to find the correct one that spooled good and had minimal slippage up top.

Watch this video of Steve Hughes and Jason White in the semi's at Norwalk this year. Steve had a .0XX light as well as Jason if I remember right. YouTube - Buick Raceday '08

Maybe I am a little off base as I have never raced TSM and had no interest.

Your staging technique is a little different for elims to be ready on time I would guess? Doesn't that make it harder to be consistent?

I have watched a few TSM races and really don't remember too many of the races being close,so I understand where Ted A is coming from.

I also have done some converter changes and tried different tuning strategies to get things just right,matter of fact I will be testing some new ideas at the track saturday.

OK, so I didn't think about it that way. My bad.

I guess because I am gearing up for the Buick vs. Ford race this year (haven't raced my GN in almost 4 yrs) I was projecting my frustration with our losses the last few yrs.

Every yr there are some impressive runs in quals,but in elims nowhere close. We get paired up with a Ford that ran the same in quals or as close as possible. The tree is a pro tree and we get killed because of red lights and late leaving.

Nobody practices in qualifying as if it counts and its frustrating to try and explain to these guys that they aren't getting sandbagged as much as they want to think.

I am pretty nervous myself about being able to be consistent on every pass. Regardless of how my tune/spoolup goes I try to leave on the last yellow and make whatever changes I need to get it where it needs to be on that last yellow.

I am quite sure the TSM,TSO,etc. racers are striving for the same.

Yeah, the pro tree takes a lot of practice. You have to get the turbo spooling in the pre stage lights, then let the car push into the staging lights then hit the trans brake. At least that's how I do it. The you have to release the brake as soon as you see the yellow. I'm getting better, but I'm far from where I need to be.

Yeah, the pro tree takes a lot of practice. You have to get the turbo spooling in the pre stage lights, then let the car push into the staging lights then hit the trans brake. At least that's how I do it. The you have to release the brake as soon as you see the yellow. I'm getting better, but I'm far from where I need to be.

Interesting how you do it Kevin. I understand alot of guys do it the same way. What i am going to try and go in on the break just a little for 1st light, then keep foot on break and hit trans break at same time. Go to 2 step, and re lease foot break to light 2nd amber. Now I would think when you hit the botton, and drop the break, there should be about 6 to 8 inches of roll, to move car forward, almost like some gap, from what Im use to seeing, so this should work?