Damn Wheelspin!

motorhead445

I ran the '87 Turbo-T today at 1/8th mile track,put 5 gallons 110 leaded race fuel and this was my 1st time runnig it.I had my brother in passenger seat(He has Racing Fever now!):D My first pass I did a short burnout to clean tires(235/60/15 Dunlops) I left at idle(d not od)and turned a dissapointing 9.872 at 75.77!My second time (more confident!:eek: )I did a nice burn out and left at 7lbs boost and spun pretty far!I went 8.824 at 79.81.My reaction time was a.661:( I know this car can go faster and i need practice but I need advice on dragtires&racechip also this sucker wheel hops from time to time I have boxed lower control arms with camaro 1le bushings & trw rear springs &kyb shocks.Do I need Airbag?Would I benifit from a racechip?Its funny a lot of people dont know what these Cars can DO!I blew a lot of minds today even though I was not the fastest it sure is a sleeper!I need TRACTION HELP:eek:

Get at least one airbag in the pass rear at 15-20 psi. Get MT ET drag Slicks. Race chip, Adj FP reg set at 42-46 PSI, turn up the boost to 20 + and race gas, and here i come low 8's with a hard launch. Wait till you make 600 HP. Street tires are dangerous at the track or street.
Mitch

You're expecting FAR too much from those street tires. ET's are all about traction. Forget your reaction times for now, they have nothing to do with your ET. Once you get the car to "bite" then you can work on your technique. But without good traction, there'll be no consistency, nothing to baseline with.

If you are using race gas, definately go with a race chip. I bring 2 five gallon gas cans to the track, one for race gas, one for street gas. Using 4 feet of rubber hose, a jumper wire (clipped from the alternator to FP test lead) and a shraeder valve removal tool, I pump out as much street gas as I can, and pour in the race gas and pump out the race gas when done racing.

Airbag is a must. With sticky tires and tuning a stock turbo, intercooler, injector TR can run mid to high 7's in the 1/8th very cheaply (non TR people that don't go to the track often don't expect that)

How about you get your fat ass brother out of the car when you make a run?! That has to be a tenth or two!

J/K on the fat ass part... but you get my point, right?

Originally posted by Mr. T
How about you get your fat ass brother out of the car when you make a run?! That has to be a tenth or two!

J/K on the fat ass part... but you get my point, right?

Yeah, if you are going to have a passenger ride along, put them in the back seat on the right side, it will help considerably with traction. Having them crouch down in the spare tire well in the trunk would be even better, but they won't always go for that.

Originally posted by motorhead445
I ran the '87 Turbo-T today at 1/8th mile track,put 5 gallons 110 leaded race fuel and this was my 1st time runnig it.I had my brother in passenger seat(He has Racing Fever now!):D My first pass I did a short burnout to clean tires(235/60/15 Dunlops) I left at idle(d not od)and turned a dissapointing 9.872 at 75.77!My second time (more confident!:eek: )I did a nice burn out and left at 7lbs boost and spun pretty far!I went 8.824 at 79.81.My reaction time was a.661:( I know this car can go faster and i need practice but I need advice on dragtires&racechip also this sucker wheel hops from time to time I have boxed lower control arms with camaro 1le bushings & trw rear springs &kyb shocks.Do I need Airbag?Would I benifit from a racechip?Its funny a lot of people dont know what these Cars can DO!I blew a lot of minds today even though I was not the fastest it sure is a sleeper!I need TRACTION HELP:eek:

Ok Motorhead try this first, put an airbag on the passenger side rear(30 PSI). Remove the front swaybar(very easy). Drop a few PSI in the passenger rear tire. This alone will help alot but you really need dragradials too.
Heat the tires up and stage. If you have to leave at 7lbs roll into the gas to get the tires moving then nail it. This will work even better with good tires. This should lower your ET. If it's a street car MPH is where it's at

We need to know your 60' times. My guess 2.15! You can get that down to 1.7 easily maybe even 1.6 depending on your brakes (how much boost you can hold) and your tires. If you don't want 2 sets of tires get some Nitto 555R's.

Butch