CTS-V/C7 Brembo 6-Pistion Conversions?

mikebutash

Hi All, long time stalker here, having owned my 86 GN since 96 or so, but looking now at resurrecting her as she's sat for 20 years with a crap trans and various tlc needed.

Looking around at modern tech, I came across bigbrakeupgrade.com with a kit to use the big Brembo's from CTS-V/ZL1 Camaro/C7's front and rear for the GN's, and priced pretty reasonably, or at least so compared to a real brembo kit, if one could even be found today. About 2k in parts from the site, about 1k for a set of ebay calipers, not bad for the best brakes one can get in theory. Anyone have any experience using them to advise for/against?

I know I'll need 18+ rims, but was thinking about doing that anyways once she's back to the realm of living.

Thanks in advance!

-mb

I was going this way using the same companies brackets for the blazer spindles but wheel fitment was an issue. I have the 18" GNX replica 18x8 for the front and 18x9 for the rear. With the 18x8 wheel it would need near a 1/2 inch spacer to clear the caliper face. The 18x9 were better but would still require a small spacer. If you have wheels that fit they are a great upgrade. I ended up going with CPP spindles and C6 Z51 (not z06) brakes.

The 14" rotors and Camaro SS calipers fit the 18" barrel of the wheel fine.
1656182287303.png

1656182111446.png

That is awesome feedback, thank you very much for that!

I can see the stock-like rims being problematic as they didn't account for things like that vs. most modern rims used to working with larger brakes on cars, which I'm looking more at for my GN. I wouldn't be opposed to using spacers to get the brakes really so long as it doesn't compromise function.

I'm in a bit of planning mode, first things first to get the car functional again, then will look at this more for nice-to-haves, but good to know the wheels are a consideration at least. I'd be curious to know what wheels *do* work if someone has made them do so. I figure there has to be more folks with GN's than 1 or two that have at least attempted or gone this route. Maybe need to check the Monte forums too...

Thanks again for the feedback and pics!

I can tell you that even with 13 Baer brakes on the front the 18 inch Gbody parts wheels needed a 1/8 inch spacer to clear the front of the caliper.

I would watch for that as well using CTS V brakes.

Something else to look at. The ZL1/Z06 Brembo's are 6-piston 14.4" rotor, The Z51/SS are 4-piston 13.6" Rotor. The 14.4" rotor will require probably at least a 19" wheel.

Here is a good pictures with the measurements with the Z51/SS caliper.

I was going this way using the same companies brackets for the blazer spindles but wheel fitment was an issue. I have the 18" GNX replica 18x8 for the front and 18x9 for the rear. With the 18x8 wheel it would need near a 1/2 inch spacer to clear the caliper face. The 18x9 were better but would still require a small spacer. If you have wheels that fit they are a great upgrade. I ended up going with CPP spindles and C6 Z51 (not z06) brakes.

The 14" rotors and Camaro SS calipers fit the 18" barrel of the wheel fine.
View attachment 385167

View attachment 385166
TType85 why did you switch to the cpp spindles. Did they bring the wheel in farther than the Blazer spindles. I was thinking both will support the camaro calipers.

Going to try and do the same mod over the winter. I have the blazer spindles already and was going to get the brackets from bigbrakeupgrade but now I'm thinking about going with cpp spindles because you can use the c7 hubs. Wondering if the 6 piston calipers will bolt up to the cpp spindle as its made for the c5/c6 calipers and I believe both have the same bolt spacing.

TType85 why did you switch to the cpp spindles. Did they bring the wheel in farther than the Blazer spindles. I was thinking both will support the camaro calipers.
I used the CPP spindles because I already cut the blazer spindles for the Brembo's. The CPP spindles bolt the C5/C6 brakes on with no adapters. They will fit the 06-13 Z06 6-piston calipers but will not fit the Brembo calipers.

In the end I went with C6 Z51 calipers and 13.4" rotors. The regular C5/C6 caliper is the same but the Z51 brackets space the caliper out further to use a bigger rotor. On the rear I used Kore3 brackets and C6 Z51 calipers and 13" rotors. The car stops great and there are a ton of pad compounds to choose from and I know I can get replacement parts easily.

EDIT:
Also you should use the C7 hubs with the CPP spindles and they have larger bearings.

I used z06 6 piston caliper with Kore 3 brackets, brake hoses and blazer spindles. Also have the same set up on my 73 c10. I am intrigued on cpp spindles for the Gbody, my c10 has modular cpp spindles. Which ones did you use for the buick? @TType85

Attachments

• 20C12E5B-7B07-42F8-AE3A-F4061441B3E2.jpeg
    20C12E5B-7B07-42F8-AE3A-F4061441B3E2.jpeg
    553.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 4BCFFF16-23E6-45AD-9E20-24C4262C5BB0.jpeg
    4BCFFF16-23E6-45AD-9E20-24C4262C5BB0.jpeg
    423.8 KB · Views: 79
I used z06 6 piston caliper with Kore 3 brackets, brake hoses and blazer spindles. Also have the same set up on my 73 c10. I am intrigued on cpp spindles for the Gbody, my c10 has modular cpp spindles. Which ones did you use for the buick? @TType85

The g-body ones are at the bottom. It is nice to not have to have a direct bolt on and not use extra brackets or deal with shimming to get them right. I used the Kore 3 brackets in the rear and Kore 3 hoses all around.

The g-body ones are at the bottom. It is nice to not have to have a direct bolt on and not use extra brackets or deal with shimming to get them right. I used the Kore 3 brackets in the rear and Kore 3 hoses all around.
What hubs are you able to use with them? i saw these and really wanted them, but cpp could not give me any specfics on what hub to use. Always vague answers.

What hubs are you able to use with them? i saw these and really wanted them, but cpp could not give me any specfics on what hub to use. Always vague answers.
C5/C6 or C7 hubs work. OE Timkin C7 hubs are the best due to the bigger bearing. They do not have the abs sensor wiring like the earlier models so if you want to do traction control with something like the ecuGN you want the earlier C5/6 parts.