Daily Driver, Bigger Turbo?

tomjon

Any advantage (performance) for replacing stock turbo for say a TA-49 on a street driven GN (93 Octane & 15-17 psi)? Does turbo efficiency result in better street performance? With both turbo's running the same boost I would think the performance would be the same, right?

Boost is the pressure it takes to attain a certain air flow. The bigger the turbo, the more air flow at the same boost level. When someone asks you "How much boost do you run?", you know they really don't understand how it all works because boost level is irrelevent without knowing the other factors, such as turbo size, head work, intercooler (stock vs non stock mainly) etc. I have run 10.92 on 20 lbs of boost, try that with a stock turbo lol.

I agree with the above. I drove a 99 GT with a T-76 under the hood for 3 years as a daily driver(during the warmer months) without any problems. It ran 10s with pump - C-16 mix @ 16 psi and mid 11s at 120-121 @ 12 psi on straight 93 octane. Hell, at 12 psi, the turbo was barely working. My friend pushed 25 psi out of his and made 680 rwhp $ 747 rwtq through a power robbing TH-400 with the same setup I had.

The good thing is, the turbo doesn't work as hard and should last alot longer. A turbo pushing 16 psi and moving the same air as a turbo at 20+ psi will live longer. I can't wait to add a bigger turbo this winter and about 3K-3200 stall.