Cylinder Head Madness......UPDATE 6/25/2016

fastblackracing

IMG_2619.JPG
Ok here we go lets look at some different cylinder heads and the different configurations and iterations that
are out there floating around and some of which are currently available new.

Now let me state right out of the gate that the intent of this post is to help all of us Turbo-Regal gear heads
learn something and become smarter and better equipped to understand the Importance of cylinder
head air flow and what the various heads that are out there are flowing and what some of the numbers are.

This is not about what is better or worse as they all performed well and there are different strengths and weaknesses in each head. Simply sharing some information that I was able to put together that I think everyone will enjoy. I have not seen anything similar to what we have put together here.

On to the testing, with the help of Forcefed3.8 I was able to get 4 sets of very nice aluminum heads together
to have tested at the same place, same machine, same operator and same testing set-up.

The test machine was a Superflow SF 600 and the Intake ports were set up with a 3/8" radius inlet entry around the port mouth and the Exhaust were flowed with a 1 3/4" pipe attached.

The shop that did the testing is a major player in the aluminum head market and I believe that there
equipment and testing is spot on. Remember the numbers will vary from one machine to another and even the same machine can read different from what it did a year or more previous. So there will be some difference in numbers that were generated at another shop.

I asked that they test up to .800 lift not that we use that much lift but to see if the ports stayed even or got turbulent or went backwards in flow.
The players in this test were as follows...
T/A SE heads with 1.94 and 1.6 valves, Hand ported. These are not there full on cnc race ports
Champ Non R head with 1.90 and 1.6 valves Ported
Champ R head with 2.00 and 1.6 valves Ported
Champ R head with 1.98 and 1.6 valves Ported

The T/A head shows a very strong exhaust port and 1 of the R heads has a better exhaust than the other.
The 2 R head intakes with the slightly bigger valves show a Bit better Flow numbers but we need to remember port velocity and air speed play an equal part in filling the cylinders.

The non R head champ showed some very respectable numbers also.
There are not always clear cut winners, sometimes a smaller head will work amazingly well on a bigger engine as forcefed 3.8 can attest to.

In the following pics that are posted you will see in red ink marker the intake valve size and head variant marked on the deck surface and you can use that info to look at the numbers on the test report sheet that is marked the same as the heads. On the intake face flange I have marked the intake port opening size....The 2 R heads and the TA have the raised intake roof port. The TA has a very nice exhaust port.
Hopefully I can secure a set of TA full on cnc race heads in the next month or so to add to the tests.

And please no bashing or flaming, lets keep the information and input clean and technical.

I will reshoot a few of the pics tomorrow some of them are not clear enough on the dimensions.
The 2 oddball heads placed for comparison are a TFS LS head flow unknown and a TFS R small block ford head with a flow of 361 intake and 290 exhaust.

View attachment 276302
IMG_2510.JPG
View attachment 276302 View attachment 276304 FullSizeRender (52).jpg FullSizeRender (54).jpg FullSizeRender (49).jpg FullSizeRender (35).jpg FullSizeRender (26).jpg FullSizeRender (27).jpg FullSizeRender (20).jpg IMG_2510.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the great thread!

Great numbers on all of the heads........at first glance the TA's max flow was very impressive but after looking at the overall numbers I like the 1.90 Champions.

There are unique features on each head that I'd like to see incorporated into one.

Thanks for getting this done. The GN1 1.90 and GN1r 1.98 have the raised port, and the same port job, the only difference is the intake valve size. The chambers have been widened on the 1.9 to take advantage of a 4" bore. The GN1r 2.0 was the first generation, and the intake ports are smaller than the other 2, and dont seem to be as aggressively ported, as the head bolt holes arent sleeved.

Thanks for sharing! What are the difference in the valve shape or number of angles cut in them?

They would be similar to the 1.9 heads. You have 1.9 intake valves, are your heads ported? Typical non ported as cast 1.9 gn1s flow around 213.

• Thanks for sharing! What are the difference in the valve shape or number of angles cut in them?
    That would be interesting to see. I cant believe the exhaust flow difference in the 3 champion heads. It is the shortest, simplest port with the same size valves. I know the valves used are different just by seeing the bottom side of them.

Here they are .thanks for looking and your time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 303
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 274
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 297
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 331
Thanks for sharing! What are the difference in the valve shape or number of angles cut in them?

We are not able to provide that information on valve angles as we did not have dealings
with the heads as when they being machined.
I am assuming that they would have a standard 3 angle valve job.

And you are absolutely correct the valve shape and detaling with back angles and head face cuts / radius
along with the valve seat angles and size will make a big change in the flow numbers.

whatcha got:)

Here is some additional info on the heads in this thread as 2 some of their differences.

Up first are the Intake port throat size to valve diameter %.
valve throat
T/A 1.94" X 1.745" =90%
CHAMP R 2.00 X 1.780" =89%
CHAMP R 1.98 X 1.780 =90%

Next we have the exhaust port throat to valve diameter %.
valve throat
T/A 1.60" X 1.410" =88%
CHAMP R 1.60 X 1.355" =85% *This is the 1.98" x 1.60" R head.
These are all of the valve to throat numbers I have. Just ran out of time to get them all.

Now for the Intake port opening size. Height of port Width of port at the
Height Width 1.100" into the port pushrod pinch point
T/A 2.180" X 1.130" 1.955" 1.125"
CHAMP R 2.100" X 1.070" 1.945" 1.058" This is the 2.00" X 1.60" R Head
CHAMP R 2.200" X 1.165" 2.050" 1.085" This is the 1.98 X 1.60 R Head

The TA head inlet port appears to have flatter roof line and floor with less "upsweep" than the Champs.
The TA exhaust port appears to have a slightly longer floor from the valve to the port face. Hard to photo.