Cylinder Head ARP Studs - Still easy to remove and install heads?

turbobuick1

I'm doing the head gaskets on my 87 GN, and the thought had crossed my mind to use some ARP head studs instead of the Felpro factory style torque-to-yield bolts. If I were to buy these, I have two questions:

1) Is it still as easy to remove and install heads with the engine in the car with the studs installed?

2) Any reason why it would not be a good idea to use them? Any considerations that I should make before I purchase them?

I have a stock block and stock heads. Appreciate any advice and experience other turbo buick owners might have.

1) Is it still as easy to remove and install heads with the engine in the car with the studs installed?

2) Any reason why it would not be a good idea to use them? Any considerations that I should make before I purchase them?

I have a stock block and stock heads. Appreciate any advice and experience other turbo buick owners might have.

I use the ARP head studs as well. On the passenger side, if you still have the factory AC box, you will have to remove the studs with an allen wrench before pulling the head off. You cant clear the AC box pulling the head straight up off the block with the studs in stalled. Same thing for installing them on the passenger side. Place the head on the block, and then install the studs.

I would say try not to blow head gaskets.:p I had to remove the passenger side head twice this summer and studs add another 20 minutes to the job. Not fun either way but using ARP bolts is fine also.

Head studs

Use studs and cometics you will blow the crank out first dont go nuts with the boost you will be good to go use indian head on both sides of gasket that will eliminate any coolant seep!!! And like anything else good prep makes the difference:tongue:

STUDS AND GM HEAD GASKET 2YRS AND NO BLOWN GASKETS. I HAVE BEEN RUNNING 23-25lbs BOOST WITH ALKY . STOCK BLOCK STOCK HEADS . GM HEAD GASKETS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've gotten the head on with studs in the block already, you have to remove the heat cover by the A/C, but it's doable.

How about removing the heads? If you go with studs can you take the heads off without dropping the motor?

Head studs

You can remove the the studs in the car the have an allen bolt hole on top a stubby allen socket works great snap-on,mac and matco have them you dont have to drop the motor! Hope this helps:biggrin:

Well, I'm guessing from your smile you know why I'm asking. I wish my face was this :biggrin:...but it looked more like this :eek: then this :mad: and now...this :frown:. Oh well, I had too much money anyways.

I wish my face was this :biggrin:...but it looked more like this :eek: then this :mad: and now...this :frown:. Oh well, I had too much money anyways.

LOL, you went through all the proper stages of grief with that one!
That's almost signature worthy.

Well, I'm guessing from your smile you know why I'm asking. I wish my face was this :biggrin:...but it looked more like this :eek: then this :mad: and now...this :frown:. Oh well, I had too much money anyways.

well congrats.

when is the big day!

sounds like marriage and kids on the way

my face was this :biggrin:...but it looked more like this :eek: then this :mad: and now...this :frown:. Oh well, I had too much money anyways.

LOL, that's the exact process
:biggrin: => :eek: => :mad: => :frown: => $$$
and it just repeats

STUDS AND GM HEAD GASKET 2YRS AND NO BLOWN GASKETS. I HAVE BEEN RUNNING 23-25lbs BOOST WITH ALKY . STOCK BLOCK STOCK HEADS . GM HEAD GASKETS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear that. Studs help but the tune being safe is what really makes the difference in making head gaskets last on these cars. I have used both.