Cutting Out At ~14 PSI Boost - Suspect Fuel Pump

I just remembered that I noticed that the fuel pressure dropped rapidly (<10 psi in ~2 seconds) after turning off fuel pump.

Do we think that that's somehow a symptom of the problem? And if so, what could cause that to happen?
That sounds more like injector bleeding down. If you can add compressed air to the regulator it will show if the dipaham is working. When you hook the vacuum line up at idle does the pressure drop? Vacuum applied to the regulator makes the spring pressure weaker.

That sounds more like injector bleeding down. If you can add compressed air to the regulator it will show if the dipaham is working. When you hook the vacuum line up at idle does the pressure drop? Vacuum applied to the regulator makes the spring pressure weaker.

Unfortunately, I do not have an air compressor.

But (and I forget which way it goes, up or down), when I take the line off the FPR at idle, yes the fuel pressure does change as I've always seen with past my past TR's.

So are you saying that that indicates that the diaphragm is healthy when the fuel pressure changes if the vacuum line is removed during idle?

You didn't take the tank down yet? That's where fuel comes from! Holy shiz

You're pretty sharp. ;)

But...considering it's a *fuel pressure* issue, I thought I might inquire about the *fuel pressure* regulator first, before dropping the tank.

And because I'm a single dad of a 9 y.o. boy, kind of have to work every now and again, want to be time efficient, need to do it when I actually have the time...*and* want to be wise & not pull the tank unless I've eliminated all other possibilities first.

Anyway...I might open up the FPR to check the diaphragm's integrity. And if that looks good, I'll be commencing a wee bit o' tank drop as soon as I can. Hopefully either tomorrow or Friday.

Last edited:
So what are you trying to say that just because you can't tune that its E85 that's the problem ?
I got tired of changing parts chasing the problem. Fuel lines coil voltage booster , timing, pressures ran new grounds power wire to hot wire all replaced with bigger but my pressure would not drop. Look for leaks between pump and hat. Also replace logger Maf with translator changed out all vacuum lines . not fun to drive when I had to replace head gasket . Be careful... I had two different fuel lines inside the tank that the e85 ate threw and was leaking under boost. My conclusion was change out tank and use a external fuel pump. Good luck i know your pain.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

You're pretty sharp. ;)

But...considering it's a *fuel pressure* issue, I thought I might inquire about the *fuel pressure* regulator first, before dropping the tank.

And because I'm a single dad of a 9 y.o. boy, kind of have to work every now and again, want to be time efficient, need to do it when I actually have the time...*and* want to be wise & not pull the tank unless I've eliminated all other possibilities first.

Anyway...I might open up the FPR to check the diaphragm's integrity. And if that looks good, I'll be commencing a wee bit o' tank drop as soon as I can. Hopefully either tomorrow or Friday.
Check the hose from the pump to the hat. Im willing to bet that little 2 inch piece is rotten from the e85. And your pump sock is clogging up that limits fuel threw it. Unless its solid metal its a problem. I have used stainless fuel line and Teflon both couldn't handle the long term e85. I changed mine out the first time changed sock and 6 months later same crap. Runs good for a little while.

Tuning? A TT chip ? You running a external fuel pump?

So what are you trying to say that just because you can't tune that its E85 that's the problem ?
I said i got tired of the same shit. Did i say its e85? You tried to help me too. What I'm saying is good luck . i couldn't find anyone close to look at mine with e 85.. So i went back to what i knew worked. Internal fuel pump is not the way to go with e 85 unless you use a solid metal pipe to connect pump to hat because the e 85 here in South Carolina eats threw e 85 fuel lines.

My data was telling me everything was in line but when the car falls on its face the data didn't tell me crap. Believe me i like the e85 idea

You're pretty sharp. ;)

If the the reg diaphragm was bad there would be liquid fuel in the vacuum nipple, is there any? If not then it ain't the regulator, 99.9% sure but go ahead and check. You were able to get 88 psi at idle right? Then 99.9 sure it ain't the regulator.

Other people have said to check in the tank, not just me. Fuel pressure that starts off good during a pull and falls offs is most likely a pump problem.
You didn't need the pretty sharp jab.

Pressure dropping off quickly after shutdown is 1) injector stuck open, 2) fuel pump check valve bad, or 3) split hose from pump to hanger tube or hose clamp loose. Sounds like the regulator is functioning properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about pressure dropping because there is a return line.

If the the reg diaphragm was bad there would be liquid fuel in the vacuum nipple, is there any? If not then it ain't the regulator, 99.9% sure but go ahead and check. You were able to get 88 psi at idle right? Then 99.9 sure it ain't the regulator.

Other people have said to check in the tank, not just me. Fuel pressure that starts off good during a pull and falls offs is most likely a pump problem.
You didn't need the pretty sharp jab.
Your wasting time drop the tank and stop crying. Pump the gas out of it if your not man enough. Much easier. You can drop it in 5 minutes.

I said i got tired of the same shit. Did i say its e85? You tried to help me too. What I'm saying is good luck . i couldn't find anyone close to look at mine with e 85.. So i went back to what i knew worked. Internal fuel pump is not the way to go with e 85 unless you use a solid metal pipe to connect pump to hat because the e 85 here in South Carolina eats threw e 85 fuel lines.

I strongly disagree .. I cant even count how many cars are running an internal pump on E85 for YEARS AND YEARS without any issues ...
perhaps the lines you were using aren't rated for E85 ....

Don't blame the Fuel because you don't understand it ..

Its like all the guys that cry about bigger pumps and not being able to control FP .. when its not the pump causing their problem .. or blaming the fuel because they can't tune !

I had lines changed for the e85. My thing is there are not enough guys who deal with a grand national and e85.

I had lines changed for the e85. My thing is there are not enough guys who deal with a grand national and e85.

Just saying for the average Joe it is not that easy to get tour car to run to its e85 potential.

Just saying for the average Joe it is not that easy to get tour car to run to its e85 potential.

maybe the average JOEB1300 .. Plenty of people have converted over and make it run very well ... it's not rocket science but does require someone that has some tuning ability or at least have the tuning tools they can use ..

IF your expecting just to throw on a few parts on , toss in E85 and run 10's without doing anything to the tune .. then you shouldn't have a GN .. if your that kind of guy you need a SBC and a Carb

Tune with a stock ecm? And a tt chip. Your not that special...