cruising egt temps vs a/f ratio

norbs

Classic fast, XFI, SPortsman & MS3 programming
I have been doing some egt vs a/f ratio testing and it appears that egts peak while cruising at stoich 14.7, and any leaner they begin to drop. ANyone else have any findings to prove this wrong? Someone was telling me on this board that this is not true is it?

norbs said:
I have been doing some egt vs a/f ratio testing and it appears that egts peak while cruising at stoich 14.7, and any leaner they begin to drop. ANyone else have any findings to prove this wrong? Someone was telling me on this board that this is not true is it?

Highest EGTs, should be at stoich.
14.7, thou, isn't always stoich.
Tweaking the timing, can induce a slight AFR error.

For determining true stoich you need to use a 4 gas analyser.
Then as you reach peak torque, it's also a very sweet spot in the VE.
I've had nice cruise modes, that have ranged from 850dF, to 1,200dF.

While stoich, is chemically the sweet spot, it doesn't mean the engine is happiest there.

norbs said:

The trend you see is true Norbs, that's why on the dyno only using EGT's can be very expensive. If you don't know what side of the curve your on you can easily burn something up. Past a certain point as you further lean out the mixture your EGT's will drop off.

This might help out .

Attachments

• fic-af-emissions.gif
    fic-af-emissions.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 153