EGT Logging on the cheap!

Daniel Jost

Squirtin six
I figured I would get on here and share a little info with guys looking for a cheap solution for EGT logging on their Power Logger setups or any other system that accepts a 0-5v input.

We use these setups on our Megasquirt setups and it works great and you cant beat the price at $25.50 shipped! It is made to be used in their General Purpose I/O board but is also used in the "Proto" area of our MS3's. Just for the heck of it I made a "Stand Alone" EGT amplifier to make sure the wiring wasn't too bad without a PCB. It works great and the wiring wasn't bad at all, though if I wasn't just testing it I could have went to radio shack and got a cheap generic Circuit board to put the components on so they didn't look like a rats nest.

Just like the little amplifiers that Full Throttle used to sell it just uses a 12v and ground, and Type-K Thermocouple input and has a single wire output so it would be very easy to hook up. During testing on the bench, it read 0.130V which I think equals 90* on the bench (Actually around 84*) and read 0.160V ~104* in my mouth. This I found interesting since when I had it assembled on a bread board it was 2 degrees off (According to the MS3 and is now 6 deg off which I will attribute to now being soldered and my calculations possibly being wrong... Either way the AD595AQ chip is only supposed to be accurate within 10 deg so we are still well in range considering it will be reading hundreds of degrees not taking body temps! lol (Note:better accuracy AD595's are available but are around $5-7 more).

Here is the info for those interested; http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/gpio-application-kit-egt-input-p-458.html

EGT Input.PNG
Temp Meter.jpg
Temp Circ.jpg