crankshaft stroker kits

cpac

CPAC
HI i would like to install one of webers or full throttles kits crank pistons rods are thier any negetive aspects to this increase in cubic inches aside from price and what type of gains should i expect presently 400 rwhp

There is no downside to a bigger motor. More torque, faster spool up, less stall for a given cam or turbo. Iw we just look at HP per ince a 400 HP motor would pick up about 35 HP by the calculator. Real gains should be bigger. The real fun is in driving where the extra torque comes into play. It will be more costly to build since some clearancing will be needed in the block. We are starting a motor next week and will take some pictures so you can see what needs to be done
Mike

I just noticed the stroker crank you will be offering soon....made me want to cuss because I was just wondering about that exact same thing. Bad thing is my engine is about done...just waiting on the main clearances to be checked, then put it all together. Wish I had seen it sooner...would have ordered it and some rods to match.

Will the stroker work with the stock rods, or does it need a different length rod and specific pistons with different pin location? Just wondering because I have the .030 Speed Pro forged units already with destressed/polished beam stock rods. Just weighing more options......lol.

The cranks will not be avaiable until the end of April. They will work with the stock rods or either one of the K1 rods. They will require custom pistons with a different wrist pin location. I have made a comminment with Diamond to make these pistons excluseivly for us by buying a large quanity of them. This will allow us to sell them at the price of a shelve pison instead of a more expensive custom unit
Mike

crankshaft stoker kits

MIKE keep the info coming on your test engine this is the wave of the future for those that cannot afford a stage engine it will give you the extra 19 ci and much more TORQUE

Thanks for the info Mike. Once I get the car finished, will probably start building a stroker setup, so I'll be giving you a call for crank, rods, and pistons. Definitely keep us updated on how your engine build goes.....this should be a nice alternative to a S2 for us poor folks....lol.

Some photo's of the necessary clearancing would be great. My Carillo's on a stock stroke required clearancing of the oil feed passage, and am not sure how much more could be ground down. I am curious about this, and wonder if it would be worth the extra HP. Also, my engine likes a little more RPM, and might not benefit as much from a longer stroke if I have to lower my shift points.

Mike-What kind of stroke on the crank are we talking about and how much would the crank and diamond pistons cost? Also what bearings are recommended on the crank and rods?

Webber stroker kit

cpac said:
HI i would like to install one of webers or full throttles kits crank pistons rods are thier any negetive aspects to this increase in cubic inches aside from price and what type of gains should i expect presently 400 rwhp

I have spent about an hour on the phone with Brian Webber in various phone conversations with him in regards to the stroker kit he builds. I am going to say his kit is the best bang for the buck available right now. The other bonus is that the rotating assembly drops right in, and does not require any clearance grinding to the block.

I bought a custom ground roller camshaft from him and I can say it shipped really quick. He is a class act. I am convinced that rotating assembly he's making is of high quality at a very reasonable cost.

Currently I have the frame off of my Buick and am spending money like a cocaine addict. Unfortunately it does not look like I am going to be able to budget Webbers stroker kit into my car this year, but man I sure wish I could.

I would give him a call if you are seriously thinking about doing a stroker it has got to be the most straight forward assembly available, plus he has bean building them for a while now, so it is not experimental product, it is a proven assembly.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the interest. We will post exact prices on kits but prices are out there and a crank rods and pistons total $1439.99. This is a forged assembly with Diamond pistons, pins and rings. A few notes: we are not sure how much clearancing, if any, will be needed. We will post pictures when we have facts. A comment was made about something being "proven or experimental" so I will address that, these cranks are the same forgings as the Eagle/Cat cranks out there now, they work. The rods are out there, they work. Diamond pistons, some of the best. While I have nothing but respect for Weber, their fine machine work and knowledge. I do have some concerns about the kit in question. Undercutting a crank is an old and proven method for making a stroker. I have done it myself on other brands like a Chevy or Olds motor where the rod journals are common. Bill Anderson suggested it for us when the Eagle crank was brand new. If we look at the Buick cranks there is some offset between the rod journals and a very small amount of material between #5 and #6 that transmits ALL the torque of the first 5 cylinders through it. We are removing a good amount (% wise) of this material and I am not sure how this will change the strenth of the crank long term, especially for the torque monster motors that strokers become. Maybe they will be fine, time will tell, then they will be "proven". I have talked to other well known Buick engine guys and they had the same concern. This also requires a custom rod instead of a standard part increasing cost and making replacment parts more difficult to get.
Mike
Mike

crankshaft stroker kits

hi mike can we have an explanation on balancing. internal external and any additional costs what piston oversizes

These cranks will be internal balance so you will need an internal balance balancer and flexplate. We are getting some SFI internal balance flexplates made that should be under $100. They should be ready in the summer and we will post as soon as we have a final price and date. Balancers can be made from stockers that have been zero balanced. Dan Strenzo (DLS Engine) did one for my stage 2 before there was BHJ units and it was great. Weber is also offering this service. BMS units will work but some are off 8 degrees on timing so you will ned to compensate for that in the chip or aftermarket computer. Not an issue if you are aware of it.
Mike

4.1?

Mike, has there been any thoughts of one of the stroker cranks in a 4'' 4.1 block? If so I am wondering if there any 4'' pistons that might be out already out there. I dont know what kind of displacement you would end up with with that combo though.

With a 4.1 block you could build a 270 inch motor. That would not be a problem it is just another piston. If the demand is there we can do one. Right now we can get them as a custom
Mike

Another 4.1

You guys just helped me decide what to do with my production 4.1 block! :) 270 inches,damn imagine the low end torque increase.It will probably feel like a small v8 when driving at low or no boost.

The best thing about a biger motor is you can use a bit more cam and it still idles the same and you can use a bigger turbo with the same stall speed.
Mike

Mike Licht said:
The best thing about a biger motor is you can use a bit more cam and it still idles the same and you can use a bigger turbo with the same stall speed.
Mike

Lets say you did a motor like that and you had a say 3000 stall.........what turbo and cam would you recomend if you had ported heads? and lets say the rest of the combo could take it meaning you had enough fuel etc :D

Kind of off subject, Mike when are these SFI flexplates going to be ready? I am in the middle of a rebuild with a Eagle crank, K1 rods (from your place) and everything else in between. I will be needing one of these very soon :D

Thanks