Crank and piston identifying info needed

fog

Hi, since I'm newb to GN, I need some identifying info.
I purchased a 2bbl NA 109 block today(only one available here) and tore it apart.

The Heads are "445" and block is "109".

Block had stickers:
"11/5/86"
"6553NMA0188460"

I need info on the pistons(are those same as turbo) and crank(is it "rolled fillets").
IMGP3869.JPG

IMGP3867.JPG

Thanks!

Well the crank has the roll fillets, the rods is the two dot GN rods, but cant tell about the piston. You got to clean the top edge of the piston, and you should see the steel insert in the very top. The steel will be darker that the aluminum. The crown should be darker the first few mm, then aluminum should be below it.

Well the crank has the roll fillets, the rods is the two dot GN rods, but cant tell about the piston. You got to clean the top edge of the piston, and you should see the steel insert in the very top. The steel will be darker that the aluminum. The crown should be darker the first few mm, then aluminum should be below it.

Thanks.
The pistons I have researched further, and those will not hold, but no problem, since the block is worn and needs to be redrilled anyhow. The crank and rods are the great news:)

So for 180$ I got the right block, heads, rods and crank. Nice:)

Edit: The pistons seem to be speed-pro hyper ones according to gnttype.

For the crank to be a turbo piece, it MUST have rolled fillets on both the rod and main journals, doubt that a 2 barrel carb 109 block would have a turbo crank?

It would follow, unless someone also replaced the pistons, they are not for turbo application either.

looks like all NA parts to me. non rolled radius and NA pistons.

If the motor was out of an 87' it most likely has all the good stuff (heads, block, crank, rods) except for pistons. :) Need a better picture of the rod journal.

That is a rolled fillet crank. There should be a casting number on it so tell us what it is. As far as the pistons, they're a factory NA replacement, not the best thing to start with. The rods are deffenatly 2 dot so they're turb rods that haven't been abused yet.

Just to clarify and summarize here.....

N/A 109 block engines........

1. Have a crank that will not have rolled fillets on both the rods and the mains. It will have them on one of them, but not the other. IMHO the jury is still out if the N/A cranks are appreciably weaker or not. When you look at most cranks that "break" on these engines, it isn't where the rolled fillet was supposed to be..... at least IME.
  2. It will have the "2-dot" rods same as turbo.
  3. It will not have the same pistons. The turbo pistons have some cast in steel inserts if you look on the underside of the piston near the pin area.
  4. The block is a keeper. It is essentially the same as a turbo block, but you just have to drill and tap the oil drain return in the lifter valley. The boss is there. All you have to do is drill it and tap it.
  5. The 8445 heads are same as turbo.

Just to add a little more..... if you can find a "goodwrench" replacement engine (crate engine) in the junkyard.... it will likely have the rolled fillet (rods and mains) "turbo" crank. The block will also likely have a casted in "SG1" in addition to the "109" casting in the block. This is what I stumbled across to build the engine I have now.

The good thing about a N/A 109 block.... is it has likely never seen more than about 175 HP or so.... so they are good starting points IMHO for a "109" build.

HTH

Hi, since I'm newb to GN, I need some identifying info.
I purchased a 2bbl NA 109 block today(only one available here) and tore it apart.

The Heads are "445" and block is "109".

Block had stickers:
"11/5/86"
"6553NMA0188460"

I need info on the pistons(are those same as turbo) and crank(is it "rolled fillets").
IMGP3869.JPG

IMGP3867.JPG

Thanks!

it is very clear to me that your crank is not a "rolled fillet" turbo crank------the journal you show in the pic only shows the radius of a NA crank-------the piston does not have to be viewed from the underside to see if it is a turbo piston------turbo pistons from 86/87 have oil drain grooves that direct oil from the oil rings to the wrist pins on the sides of the piston/yours do not have these...........RC

it is very clear to me that your crank is not a "rolled fillet" turbo crank------the journal you show in the pic only shows the radius of a NA crank-------the piston does not have to be viewed from the underside to see if it is a turbo piston------turbo pistons from 86/87 have oil drain grooves that direct oil from the oil rings to the wrist pins on the sides of the piston/yours do not have these...........RC

Not gonna argue with you at all Rich. Clear out some of your PM's though. I tried to send you a message and your PM box is full.