Craftsman ratcheting wrenches

DCVING 6

Was thinking about getting a set as it seems they would be pretty convienant. Sears has an 8 piece doubt boxed end set advertised, so essentially you get 16 different sizes. List price is $80. Are they worth it? Only thing I'm worried about is how strong the ratcheting mechanism is... although they do have a lifetime guarantee. :rolleyes:

I bought the 9/16 and 1/2 " and they suck. They dont always grap, the wratcheting mech i mean. They slip alot.

DCVING 6 said:
Was thinking about getting a set as it seems they would be pretty convienant. Sears has an 8 piece doubt boxed end set advertised, so essentially you get 16 different sizes. List price is $80. Are they worth it? Only thing I'm worried about is how strong the ratcheting mechanism is... although they do have a lifetime guarantee. :rolleyes:

I bought a set of metric and standard. I use the $hit out of mine and no problems so far at all. :)

I bought an off brand.

I bought the ones from Costco :eek: , suprisingly they worked great on the turbo swaps I did on mine and another members car.I think they were like 25 bucks for the whole set!

my craftsman work great and i like how they have a switch to ratchet both ways without flipping it over..

I have 4 different sets of Gearwrench ratchet wrenchs and I have had no problems. I have put them through some real beatings. You can get them at Sears, they're about $50 cheaper than the Craftsman equivalent, the clicks are closer, and they still have a lifetime warranty.

I have the metric and standard swivel head ones. These are by far my favorite tool. I use them all the time and they're really versitle. I also have metric and standard shorty versions, I just got them but like them so far. Nice to have in tight spots but I would suggest the swivel heads first.

I bought a set of "Gearwrenchs" a couple of years ago, I use them all the time!! You'll wonder how you got along without them!!

I use both the gear wrench brand and blue point at work and they are both very durable. The gear wrench will wear out first but it will still take a long time. I've worn out several 13 & 15 mm. Wouldn't do my job without them.

Don't be afraid to cheater wrench them and/or hit them with a hammer. They'll take it.

never tried craftsman so this post is kinda OT.

I've got a complete set of standard and metric Gearwrench brand and I love them. You will wonder how you ever got by without them. Never used the Craftsman version, but IMHO the lower end Craftsman stuff is junk anyway but the high end Craftsman stuff is nice though.

I have the gear wrench set and they suck when working on something at a angle.

I have 2 sets of bluepoint gear wrenches from the snap on guy.
100.00 per set
they have a angle so you can remove the intake bolts on a LC2 in just a few minutes.
Whats cool about them is one side is a regular open end wrench the other side is a boxed end wrech with both 6 and 12 point ends split 50/50 on the boxed end.
one half is 12point, the other half is 6point, this will allow you to loosen or tighten a long bolt without the wrench slipping all the way over the nut.

Say you have a 4 inch bolt and a standard nut without a lip on the base of the nut and its hard to get to.
Take the 6 point side of the ratcheting wrench and slip it over the nut, since the 12 point is ofset to the 6 point it wont fit all the way over.
They work great, ive had them for a few years
8mm-19mm
5/16 - 3/4
BW

IMO the lack of offset comes in handy just as often as it screws you over. Buy the flex heads and you get the best of both worlds, though it would be nice if they locked straight. I plan to get them all, someday.

I've have a standard set, need to get a metric set....but if you can find a set that allows you to change directions by flipping a lever rather than removing the wrench head and flipping it then that is great...
I've gotten "Stuck" before with the type that has to be flipped over....got the nut backed off to find out it backed up against another part, making it impossible to slip the wrench head off the nut, and since it couldn't reverse without flipping it I had to cut the bolt off.

2QUIK6 said:
I've gotten "Stuck" before with the type that has to be flipped over....got the nut backed off to find out it backed up against another part, making it impossible to slip the wrench head off the nut, and since it couldn't reverse without flipping it I had to cut the bolt off.

Wow, something that makes sense but you wouldn't really think about it happening before it happens.

2QUIK6 said:
I've have a standard set, need to get a metric set....but if you can find a set that allows you to change directions by flipping a lever rather than removing the wrench head and flipping it then that is great...
Hey Rob,

What bolt/nut were you taking out that you had to cut? Don't want to be in the same situation. :eek:

Guy