Cost to Paint our cars?

It works best on a warm surface or in the sun. Put it on let it start to bubble the paint and then scrape it off, repeat process if needed.

Also, if your painting the car black use a black primer. Nothing worse then having a paint chip on a black car with yellow primer. My buddy that painted my car always uses the same color primer as the car is being painted.

I have found the sun makes it dry up fasterand makes it hard to scrape off,in the shade it seems to work better for me.I have also put a plastic garbage bag over it so it doesnt evaperate as fast and gives it longer to eat into the paint.

I do like the tip on the primer though.

I have found the sun makes it dry up fasterand makes it hard to scrape off,in the shade it seems to work better for me.I have also put a plastic garbage bag over it so it doesnt evaperate as fast and gives it longer to eat into the paint.

You guys probably get more sun then we do here, so your probably right. It was cool when I did it but I found in direct sunlight it worked much better but I could see a scorching hot day causing some problems.

I brought my car to a local body shop who I have used before. He quoted me $3500 for my GN. He will strip down the hood, roof and trunk to bare metal, but not the sides. There are also some hail dings, which he is aware of. Nothing a big can of bondo can't fix. Here are my questions:
(1) Should I just get that aircraft stripper and strip the sides myself?
(2) How hard is it to remove the rear spoiler?
(3) Does the windshield/rear glass have to come out or can he just remove the metal trim around it (to prevent tape lines)?
(4) Should the outside mirrors be removed and how hard is that)?

BIG question- after we get the car ready for paint, which paint should I avoid? What brand (or type of paint within the brand) is good, better, best?

What brand/type of clear do you recommend? I've heard that the paint isn't so important, but it is the clear that really makes the car pop so you don't want to skimp on the clear.

To save money, I'll remove the usual stuff myself (headlights, tail lights). I really intend to grill this guy on exactly what paint/clear he intends to use, so if I want something better (for more $) I can intelligently negotiate with him.

I've seen wetsanding done on tv and it doesn't look so hard. Should I see if he will let me wet sand the paint before he clears it? (I think I know the answer to this one). Any other suggestions are appreciated. The bodyshop guy is aware that he is giving me a great deal, but he also said it won't be perfect. However, with my "help" "nudging" "suggestions" etc. maybe I can get more than my money's worth and not get thrown out of his shop:smile:

I would def strip the sides. With either aircraft or a few 3m sponge discs. The mirrors come off with two nuts on the inside of the shell so door panel has to come off. Winshield stays in the trim comes off. I would use either a dupont or ppg but most paint kits are 1k alone. The base ( black color ) doesn't get sanded. The clear does and i would def leave it to a professional.

My father in law and I just restored his Grand national for 5400. That included getting alot of rust off of the car as well. The car came out great! As for the cost of just painting, the car was 4000 and I have yet to see a flaw! The good shops that aren't charging an arm and a leg are still out there you just have to look. This shop was just outside Charleston, SC. I'll post some pictures soon:biggrin:

McGinley Motorsports painted mine in 06. I've known him (Brett) for over twenty five years and got a BRO deal for 7500. His paint jobs start at 10K. Check out his website his work is flawless and his specialty is black cars... I've been told several times its the nicest black they'd seen. His wife jokes his catch phrase should be "Painting the world black.... One car at a time." Looks like a black mirror... Sice I bought the car from the 91 year old widow of the original owner in San Diego i figure I can throw some doough at it! ;)

$3500 for a paint job ! Good luck my friend. Ant no way he going to use top of line paint or clearOR primer. Good primer clear and paint will cost you about 1200 to $1500..

McGinley Motorsports painted mine in 06. I've known him (Brett) for over twenty five years and got a BRO deal for 7500. His paint jobs start at 10K. Check out his website his work is flawless and his specialty is black cars... I've been told several times its the nicest black they'd seen. His wife jokes his catch phrase should be "Painting the world black.... One car at a time." Looks like a black mirror... Sice I bought the car from the 91 year old widow of the original owner in San Diego i figure I can throw some doough at it! ;)

Impressive website! So, what can you tell me about the paint- brand, # of coats, brand of clear coat, etc. Also, exactly what shade of black should I use? - inquiring minds want to know!

$3500 for a paint job ! Good luck my friend. Ant no way he going to use top of line paint or clearOR primer. Good primer clear and paint will cost you about 1200 to $1500..

Ok, that's exactly the kind of information I need, so if I want to "upgrade" I know what I'm talking about. Can you recommend a middle of the road paint/primer/clear that I would be happy with?

My father in law and I just restored his Grand national for 5400. That included getting alot of rust off of the car as well. The car came out great! As for the cost of just painting, the car was 4000 and I have yet to see a flaw! The good shops that aren't charging an arm and a leg are still out there you just have to look. This shop was just outside Charleston, SC. I'll post some pictures soon:biggrin:

He got apaint job for $4500 ..not a restoration job?nobody in this wold would do a of fraim resto for $4500....

Ok, that's exactly the kind of information I need, so if I want to "upgrade" I know what I'm talking about. Can you recommend a middle of the road paint/primer/clear that I would be happy with?

yes there are good middle grade pruduct if you need any help call tomorrow at my shop .my number is at my web site;)

WOW guys lol alot of big numbers being tossed around here lol

ok im looking at a car local to me which is a nice car but it needs a paint job. so pretty much whats being said here is that if i dont spend atleast $4,000+ on a paint job its going to look like sh1t????

im very active in the car scene....ill be driving my car every weekend an hr+ each way to meets and events and even taking it to the track every couple months to sling hot tire all over the lower rear 1/4 pannel in the burnout box. im not about to spend 5 grand on a paintjob for a car thats a weekend DRIVER but i dont want a paintjob that clearly looks like crap.

for a car thats is NOT a showcar but a street car that sees the interstate at 65mph for an hour straight what should i do???

He got apaint job for $4500 ..not a restoration job?nobody in this wold would do a of fraim resto for $4500....

I did the rest of the restoration. At the body shop the car had a floor pan, rockers, rear quarters, and brand new doors put on (thanks GBODYPARTS!). That was the 5400 total.

WOW guys lol alot of big numbers being tossed around here lol

ok im looking at a car local to me which is a nice car but it needs a paint job. so pretty much whats being said here is that if i dont spend atleast $4,000+ on a paint job its going to look like sh1t????

im very active in the car scene....ill be driving my car every weekend an hr+ each way to meets and events and even taking it to the track every couple months to sling hot tire all over the lower rear 1/4 pannel in the burnout box. im not about to spend 5 grand on a paintjob for a car thats a weekend DRIVER but i dont want a paintjob that clearly looks like crap.

for a car thats is NOT a showcar but a street car that sees the interstate at 65mph for an hour straight what should i do???

Haha, you could come to Charleston and get it done at the same shop. If yours is rust free it would be less.

Haha, you could come to Charleston and get it done at the same shop. If yours is rust free it would be less.

i have a few connections here locally but i havent really priced anything out. i dont even own a GN yet but i was thinking about one that is local to me that needs a paintjob....this thread just has me worried cause im not likely the idea of spending 5 grand for a street car, not a show car. nothing against the guys that do the show car thing but i drive my cars alot on the weekends.

i have a few connections here locally but i havent really priced anything out. i dont even own a GN yet but i was thinking about one that is local to me that needs a paintjob....this thread just has me worried cause im not likely the idea of spending 5 grand for a street car, not a show car. nothing against the guys that do the show car thing but i drive my cars alot on the weekends.

You sure do get what you pay for. If 5grand scares you then maybe a GN isn't for you. That's just the begining. These cars require money. The mods are not cheap really. Example, bigger turbo is gonna run well over 500 dollars. To upgrade the MAF correctly with the new pipe, cone filter, MAF, and translator is over 500. It's all like this my friend.

My g/f lives in Summerville. Her daughter had her car painted a year ago at a shop in Charleston.