Cost to Paint our cars?

GangsterMD

Turbo'd since '95
I've been wanting to get my car painted. The 22 year old lacquer paint is cracked - so it's a typical case of good from far but far from good. So I'm curious what people are paying to have there cars completely repainted? I realize there will be a huge spread, but I'm also interested in what you guys have paid extra to do? Like removing the rear 1/4 windows etc? I'm no body man but has any novice people attempted sanding/prepping?
Thanks
D

Attachments

• DSC02035b.jpg
    DSC02035b.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,493
Darren, do it right. You should talk to my buddy Rob, he takes no short comes, but don't expect to drive the car for a while. I took the bumpers, fillers, doors, vent windows out of my old T-Type and sanded it down to bare metal. I had another buddy do all the body work, shoot it and wet sand and painted it. That was years ago and cost me $2800. The car looked amazing, with a mirror finish and no orange peel what so ever. My buddy didn't like how it looked the first time he sprayed it and did it again.

body

I am a body man.I am restoring my 87 gn as we speak.Lac. paint like mine needs to be striped down to bare metal.I am using ppg and its more $$.If i was going to charge someone to do the work from start to finish it would be around 4000. to 6000.

I am a body man.I am restoring my 87 gn as we speak.Lac. paint like mine needs to be striped down to bare metal.I am using ppg and its more $$.If i was going to charge someone to do the work from start to finish it would be around 4000. to 6000.

that sounds pretty good. Where you located? :D

Yes if you do some of the disassembly work that will save you a little bit of labor charges and sometimes if you don't mind the shop putting your car on the back burner that can save a few dollars there as well (key word: sometimes), but overall I have to go with the herd: after media blasting, prep and paint work plan on spending in the ballpark of $5000 for a quality job, and that is assuming no major rust or other body issues.

Yeah Nick when I do it I definitely plan to do it right. I got a quote locally a few years ago and I think it was $4800 - but things will have gone up since then. Plus with all of the hail last year I think everybody is busy. But I'd like some advise on what all should be removed - so I can make sure and ask the right questions.
Thanks
D

body and paint

I think it all depends on whats hiding under the paint.That is why i strip every paint job before i start doing any bodywork.I cant tell u how many times a person said the cars perfect no rust ect.Soon as u get the paint of of it it is filled with mud.So bottom line is if u can give a round about price untill u find out whats really under the paint.I have used dupont but ppg is a little better to me and i've been doing this for about 22 yeas on and off.Call me with any ?:)

Im in the process of preparing my car for paint. If I remove parts and they do the rest it will be $4500. If I let them remove/reinstall and paint $6000. I have no major dents and no rust. If there is body work im sure it would reach $8000. These prices are the rates for the good old bay area CA.

I have the original paint and im really hesitant to do it. I like the fact it has some battle scares but still looks good.

Id say $5-6k with you bringing the car to the shop with no molding on it and them doing an ok quick job. It should be media blasted all over including the door jambs which will add some $. If you want the car to be really flat and straight plan on paying a body guy a lot of extra $ skimming and blocking the car. The doors need a lot of work and the pillars are always a wavy mess. You could spend 50-100hrs prepping and sanding. $75/hr. You will never get more than you pay for in body work unless your best friend is a body expert and your getting a hookup. No guarantee that spending extra will get you a gem either. Look at previous work done and choose wisely. Under $5k you can forget about anything decent especially with the strip down required

Id say $5-6k with you bringing the car to the shop with no molding on it and them doing an ok quick job.

I don't think I'd pay 5-6K for an "ok quick job." I think you should expect something pretty nice for that price range.

I will be looking to repaint my GN in the next couple years. Luckily I have a good friend who is experienced in body and paint and will be helping me out. I do have some questions about stripping options though.

Is media blasting the ONLY way to go to get the car to bare metal? Would I be completely insane to try and tackle the car with a DA?

I know it is best practice to remove the opera windows, bumpers, and fillers. Is it really necessary to remove the doors too?

I am having my GN painted right now. the car was very strait jus a few door dings and the paint was sun cracked everywhere. i drove the car there with all the trim and molding on it just as it is on any givin day. they striped the whole front off the car, all the trim, mirriors, rear windows, tail lights, bumpers, everything! and took it all the way to bear metal and it is sitting in primer now. total bill for everything when he is done shooting the dupont paint with ultra high clear will be $2200 give or take a few $'s. you dont have to have it media blasted and put on a rotisserie for it to look good. plus they are not doing my door jams because they were fine jus a little dirty... a few hours cleaning and they will look fine. dont expect to have to pay 6-8K for a good paint job. mine falls way under the $5000 line and will be way more than "decent" it will look better than factory. heres some in-progress pics i will post some when it is finished.

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu9/thenasty87/gn1.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu9/thenasty87/gn2.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu9/thenasty87/gn3.jpg

Yes, remove the doors. Its easier to reseam the bottoms and also put in new hinge bushings to line up the door when its back together. The opera windows are easy to get out, just messy black goo stuff is the only problem.

I did an off frame restoration on my turbo T removed fenders,doors and quarter glass,remved engine and transmission,rear suspension ect ect,refinished frame,refinished
engine compartment,the paint on the engine cowl is the thing to pay attention to for the fact that with any paint job the first thing you see when you open the hood is the crappy finish from the factory. took almost two years to complete.took it to bowling green year before last and it was admired by most guys there. my point is simple,
do what makes you happy it's YOUR RIDE!!

Fred

I agree with bison.My boss had his 68 elcamino striped and painted,its perfect but it cost him $15,000.I could see it costing only $2,200 if you had it all down to bare metal or primed with all the body work done just needing to be blocked out masked and sprayed.Just the paint supplies have to be around $600 -$800.And for stripping the car there are many ways to do it,chemical strippers(messy and stinky but work well),a sander with some 36 or 40 grit(Works good but you stand a chance of warping the body panels),media blasting(big mess to clean up when using sand and can still wrap panels),soda blasting,i havent tried this 1 yet.