Cork oil pan gasket install..sealant or no sealant?

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
Ok, I've been saying I've had excellent results with the rubber Felpro pan gaskets...well after a year of no leaks, it has all of a sudden started leaking bad and its definitely seeping out around the gasket...

So I've ordered a thick cork one....and the question is, should I use any RTV or Ultra-Black sealant with it?
If so, how much and on both sides?
Or just at the main and front cover joints?

Thanks

just a smear at the front cover& rear main joints..if you put rtv on a cork gasket it will not allow it to swell and seal..you ever seen a wine bottle with a cork in it?...did it have any sealer of any kind on it! :cool: ..good luck

Joe Tiano said:
just a smear at the front cover& rear main joints..if you put rtv on a cork gasket it will not allow it to swell and seal..you ever seen a wine bottle with a cork in it?...did it have any sealer of any kind on it! :cool: ..good luck

Agreed. RTV can be used as a substitute entirely, but that can be very messy and sometimes tricky to do without smearing the bead during install. I have used weatherstrip adhesive in very light amounts to secure such gaskets to the desired surface, and it can be a very helpful just to keep from fighting the gasket on install. Other than that, just some RTV on the joints like the man says...

Thanks, I'll use my little trick of tying the gasket to the pan with fine string during the install to hold the gasket in place till a few bolts are in.

Have to disagree...I have a girdle installed and a cork pan gasket...I used a thin smear of the Right Stuff on both sides of the gasket and haven't had a drop of oil leak...

MSDGN said:
Have to disagree...I have a girdle installed and a cork pan gasket...I used a thin smear of the Right Stuff on both sides of the gasket and haven't had a drop of oil leak...

Yep, I have had leaks dry, so I put just enough of a smear of Right stuff on my cork one this time to color the gasket and it is bone dry. Then I put it on and snugged it just until it was making full contact, and then I torqued it once it was cured. Not a drop.

I would think.. a girdle would be the exception!..as far as the girdle goes, I think it should have a O ring reciver groove machined into it..on the panrail side of it..thats just 1.. of a few improvments I can think of as far as the girdle goes..later

I have an RJC girdle, RJC Deep pan and bought their much thicker cork gasket and put it on dry with the proper torque spec(88 in-lbs) and 250+ miles later have no leaks.

Now that I think about it, when I was an MB tech, we never used pan gaskets, but a HD MB RTV that you had to pry the pan off because it was so strong. Also on the rear diff, no gasket. I will have to get some of this RTV from my friend. ;)