Stock Valve Covers with adapters vs raised aftermarkets on iron Champion Heads

• The stock covers with adapters fit and seal perfect

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Raised aftermarket VCs seal better with no issues

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

buickman69

Retired Buick Enthusiast
I've done a lot of searching and found threads from, 15-10 and 3 years ago but what I am looking for is a sound confident answer.
I've put these 1.65 roller shafts on the car and I'm torn on which way to go. For several months its been sitting in my shop covered up with VC just sitting over the drivers shaft covered by new rags but not bolted down and new rags covering the passenger shaft.

My biggest concern is leaking. I'm sick of this car enough already but oil leaks and having to do it all again is my biggest fear.
These are original iron Buick heads worked by Champion.
An old friend who has 40 years worth of turbo Buick parts (wants me to buy it all) I visited a few months ago. Brought home a set of GN1s and they are still in the plastic. I just don't like the way they look.

I've had someone tell me there is a thick enough gasket that I can buy to put on the stock VCs that will seal.
I've read of the adapters from RJC leaking, I've even read of all the aftermarket raised VCs leaking.
I've already bought from Champion and opened the package, a new set of cork gaskets for the stock VCs.

Then there is another issue of bolts. I was scatter brained that day and didn't get the bolts with those GN1 covers and he is 2 hours away.

So what do you do with the wastegate solenoid that mounts to the upper right bolt/stud of the passenger side VC? Does the bolts that come with the RJC adapters have a stud on top for this solenoid in the stock location?

I like the stock look, but leaking is my number 1 concern!
As far as aftermarket VC I'd rather have an aluminum color Buick Motorsports VC, or just say Buick, or even with the Buick Tri-Shield logo would be cool (no Jiffy Lube logo) but I don't think they exist raised to clear these rockers.

Guess I'll pull the freaking motor to do this. Beats spending all day wrestling, cussing and busted knuckles dealing with no room on the passenger side.

Just need some help here making a decision.
Suggestions and real world experience appreciated.
Thanks

You left out the voting option "They both leak and i should get used to it". LOL

I used aftermarket valve cover to clear my T&D roller rockers.

I used the RJC spacers on stock valve covers to clear my T&D rollers and never had a leak. The secret is you don't use a gasket between the valve cover and the spacers but glue the spacer to the valve cover with RTV Ultra Black. Valve covers have been on the motor for years with no leaks. The problem with a lot of aftermarket valve covers is the gasket surface is not machined flat but left as a rough casting which promotes leakage.

There was just a post on here about leaking valve covers, aluminum GN1's if I remember correct, their solution to no leaks was a felpro rubber gasket with the steel in the middle, cant remember the part#

I used the adapters from RJC racing on a customers car I just finished and am happy with them. No leaks if sealed correctly. I didnt like the look of the ugly aftermarket stuff out there so this was the best option. I glued stock cork gaskets to cover and adapter using THE RIGHT STUFF sealer. Then bolted the covers to the engine without the bottom gasket to dry overnight. Removed them and used the same sealer on the adapter side only, no leaks.

For the bolts that are studs. I used the stuff supplied by RJC and welded some small bolts to the top to make my own studs. The photo does not show the finished product, but after some cleanup grind to them a 11mm socket fits perfect.
20180223_161339_resized.jpg
20180225_112244_resized.jpg

I like the look of the stock valve covers so I've used spacers in the past. Never had a leak. I recommend bonding the spacer to the head rather than the valve cover. A little bit of The Right Stuff and it will not leak. In fact, the spacer is difficult to get off the head if you ever want to remove them.

I've done a lot of searching and found threads from, 15-10 and 3 years ago but what I am looking for is a sound confident answer.
I've put these 1.65 roller shafts on the car and I'm torn on which way to go. For several months its been sitting in my shop covered up with VC just sitting over the drivers shaft covered by new rags but not bolted down and new rags covering the passenger shaft.

My biggest concern is leaking. I'm sick of this car enough already but oil leaks and having to do it all again is my biggest fear.
These are original iron Buick heads worked by Champion.
An old friend who has 40 years worth of turbo Buick parts (wants me to buy it all) I visited a few months ago. Brought home a set of GN1s and they are still in the plastic. I just don't like the way they look.

I've had someone tell me there is a thick enough gasket that I can buy to put on the stock VCs that will seal.
I've read of the adapters from RJC leaking, I've even read of all the aftermarket raised VCs leaking.
I've already bought from Champion and opened the package, a new set of cork gaskets for the stock VCs.

Then there is another issue of bolts. I was scatter brained that day and didn't get the bolts with those GN1 covers and he is 2 hours away.

So what do you do with the wastegate solenoid that mounts to the upper right bolt/stud of the passenger side VC? Does the bolts that come with the RJC adapters have a stud on top for this solenoid in the stock location?

I like the stock look, but leaking is my number 1 concern!
As far as aftermarket VC I'd rather have an aluminum color Buick Motorsports VC, or just say Buick, or even with the Buick Tri-Shield logo would be cool (no Jiffy Lube logo) but I don't think they exist raised to clear these rockers.

Guess I'll pull the freaking motor to do this. Beats spending all day wrestling, cussing and busted knuckles dealing with no room on the passenger side.

Just need some help here making a decision.
Suggestions and real world experience appreciated.
Thanks

A few weeks ago there was a thread concerning valve cover and head gasket oil leaks. Here's the link. https://turbobuick.com/posts/3825720/

These were my posts. Hope this helps you out.

Post #1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I make up my valve cover gaskets I usually do a few extras to keep in the tool box. When I get down to the garage I need to measure them. Because I'm pretty damn sure I end up with a gasket at least a 1/4 inch thick or more. If not, I'll be calling RJC for some gaskets, because obviously this would be easier. Either way they don't leak.

I still recommend using studs instead of bolts, gluing the gasket on the valve cover with a thin film of RTV the night before, and also spreading a light film on the underside of the gasket a little while before torquing them down.

Also I forgot to mention I also have Cometic multi layer head gaskets under my Champion heads. I did not install my head gaskets. Cotton's Performance did. I don't know what they did, but they don't leak either. :)

Post #2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some 1/4 inch stainless threaded rod cut to length and twist it in just hand tight. Boating supply stores usually have a good variety of stainless hardware. Some washers, maybe split lock washers, nuts. Done.

I try to use studs in every single aluminum hole whenever convenient or possible.

Then it's settled, stock VCs with adapters.
Thanks guys for all the comments, information, and photos. Definitely some good stuff to look back on. I may have more questions. 1st I need to get the adapters, bolts, and a buddy to do some welding.

As for bolts I bought stainless threaded rod and made my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't use locking washers at that point. That area isn't known for backing out and there's no reason to gouge up the valve covers if you don't have to. Using long studs will make the PS valve cover impossible to remove, and might cause the DS cover to hit the hot stud on the back of the alternator before it clears.

I like the look of the stock valve covers so I've used spacers in the past. Never had a leak. I recommend bonding the spacer to the head rather than the valve cover. A little bit of The Right Stuff and it will not leak. In fact, the spacer is difficult to get off the head if you ever want to remove them.

That’s the way I did it as well.... no leaks for 5 plus years. And I have had them off to adjust my roller rocker on first start up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk