Sealant or no sealant?

sparky0798

I recently purchased a cork trans pan gasket from my local trans shop for an '86 Gn. Once the pan is removed I will be changing out my filter and tccc solenoid. My question is upon installation do I use any sealant or just install dry? I did a search and got conflicting answers. I want to get it right the 1st time with no leaks. Thanks for the help

Never had luck with cork trans pans gaskets. If you don't want it to leak don't use cork

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I'm of the exact opposite opinion. I've used cork on every trans that doesn't have a reusable gasket with no sealant and the only time we ever had any leaks was if the pan was bent. If the pan is flat and you torque it to 8 ft lbs it won't give you any fits. If the pan is bent upwards around the bolt holes just whack it flat with a rubber mallet against a ball peen hammer set in the holes and it'll flatten right out. Your car should have the newer design pan with the rib stamped in the pan rail so you should be fine.

Thanks guys. I think I'll try it dry 1st and see what happens. Some people suggest putting a little sealant on the pan just to hold the gasket in place.

Boost do you have something specific you like or plain ol rubber?

Whenever I use a sealant, I try to apply it to whatever side will be the easiest to clean at a later date. Usually the pan/valve cover side.

Tighten to the correct torque rating in the appropriate pattern. The cork will usually compress. Check it after several hours & re-torque. Keep checking it for a few days.