Converter Lock Up function

I know that there must be a thread somewhere talking about this, but I really cant seem to find it.

Whats the difference between a lock up and non lock up?
Whats better for street? (short/long distances trips)
Whats better for strip?

Thanks a lot

A lockup t.c. will lock the tranny and motor together at a 1:1 (or close to it) ratio to reduce engine speed at a certain MPH (written into the chip you are using) thus obtaining better fuel economy and less slippage/heat. This is also what makes a lockup t.c. the best for street use and strip use. HOWEVER, under WOT conditions, the t.c. will not lock unless you have your chip burned to do so or you manually lock it up.

Technology has allowed for some beefy t.c. units that are capable of numerous lock ups at WOT as this is hard on the t.c. and tranny.

Not to steal your thread but, I am in the process of putting in my 200r4 in my nova and got the optional switch to lock the tc in 2,3,4 will this hurt my trans/tc if done wide open?

Just to see if I got things straight, I can or should run lets say a 3200 t.c. unlocked at the strip and on the freeway I can lock it up and my rpms will go down in 4th gear to make the ride easier on my engine?

I'm trying to really understand this since my car will see much more street than strip, plus I can use this I guess to get more mph at the strip too.

Not yet, I'm still stock turbo'ed, but I'm researching a lot before I start buying things and putting them in my car.

I have no real world experience with different converters on a stock turbo, but I've heard that 3200 is probably way to much stall for a stock turbo and might actually hurt performance. You might be able to shred the tires but have so much slippage that all you do is create more heat in the tranny than power due to slippage. Not sure. Keep asking.

this is covered in great detail in my manual .do you have a copy or know someone who does.

If i hook up the optional switch to lock the torque converter in on 2nd 3rd and 4th will it hurt trans/converter if it is locked up in 2nd and am wide open and shift to third and so on??

if you dont have a strong converter then it is possible to snap off the turbine shaft drive in the converter.

well..

i'm not going to sit here and say a whole lot, except if primarily you are going to run the streets stick w/ a lock up. w/ a tops stall of 2800 maybe 2500. as for the occasion strip chances are unless you manually lock it once 2nd gear hits, it won't lock at all during the 1/4 or 1/8 mile run. being on stock turbo whatever the rest of your configuration is 3200 stall may be to steep. and i know nothing bout sh**. so take that for whatever its worth.