Considering MAF Translator

Pronto

Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see.
I suspect my MAF is starting to get flakey. After looking at a lot of posts on MAF pipes/sizes etc, I have question about their ease of use. Of the 3 MAFs that the Translator will work with ie; 3" LT1, 3.5 LS, 85mm Z06, which one has the least issues for the swap? I'm running a TT 6.0 chip. What setting would be needed with that chip (I'm have the manual downloaded to study the install). Has anyone had it work right out the gate without messing with the setting? Also do you need an adaptor plug for any of them to work with the Translator harness? I'm leaning toward the 3.5 LS b/c it would give more flow but also 3" MAFs have gone into the 10s so I wonder how important that extra flow is. Thanks.

I just made the switch to a 3" LT1 MAF/Translator setup a couple weeks ago.

It was almost total plug-n-play. The two issues I had were...

1. My Pete Tomka CAI adaptors for the stock MAF had to be sanded quite a bit for the LT1 MAF to fit. The LT1 MAF is called a 3", but it's actually a little bit bigger. So, depending on your intake tube size, some work may be required for proper fit.

2. The dipswitches inside the Translator had to be set different from what they were set at from Full Throttle Speed. Not a big deal, but note worthy IMO.

The Translator's wire has the correct plug for the LT1 & stock harness. The other MAF's need an additional adaptor, at an additional cost.

I have noticed a smoother idle & off idle throttle response after making the swap. I'm running a TT 5.6 chip. I'm very pleased with the results.... good money spent.

Thanks
I may be needing a new MAF, chasing a CODE 34 with damaged wiring to boot. If it needs replacing I too will be going Translator route and LT or LS MAF

1. My Pete Tomka CAI adaptors for the stock MAF had to be sanded quite a bit for the LT1 MAF to fit. The LT1 MAF is called a 3", but it's actually a little bit bigger. So, depending on your intake tube size, some work may be required for proper fit.

2. The dipswitches inside the Translator had to be set different from what they were set at from Full Throttle Speed. Not a big deal, but note worthy IMO.

The Translator's wire has the correct plug for the LT1 & stock harness. The other MAF's need an additional adaptor, at an additional cost.

I have noticed a smoother idle & off idle throttle response after making the swap. I'm running a TT 5.6 chip. I'm very pleased with the results.... good money spent.

I have silicone couplers that are pretty flexible so I think that OK. I would like smoother idle and off idle response. I'm getting a slight of idle stumble that is annoying. So far it sounds good to me.

I suspect my MAF is starting to get flakey. After looking at a lot of posts on MAF pipes/sizes etc, I have question about their ease of use. Of the 3 MAFs that the Translator will work with ie; 3" LT1, 3.5 LS, 85mm Z06, which one has the least issues for the swap? I'm running a TT 6.0 chip. What setting would be needed with that chip (I'm have the manual downloaded to study the install). Has anyone had it work right out the gate without messing with the setting? Also do you need an adaptor plug for any of them to work with the Translator harness? I'm leaning toward the 3.5 LS b/c it would give more flow but also 3" MAFs have gone into the 10s so I wonder how important that extra flow is. Thanks.

Pronto,

Plug and play issue, but check the dip switches as suggested above. I am running the LT1 set-up with no complaints.

Rob

Running Z06, No problems, just had to set translator to settings & couplers.

The 3.5" maf works well, but based on your goals, I would suggest the SD chip for the ultimate response but at the slight cost of fuel consumption.

side note..Z06 Needs a 3 to 5 wire adapter $16.00 from TurboTweak. :cool:

hello peoples; IMO more air means more power and a more efficient running engine. So that's why I like the 3.5" MAF sensor. The 4" is too big and it looks out of place. But if I was a racer the 4" is the way to go but for my street TB 3.5'' is it for me. Then also think of a filtering system. I went for the Tin Man cold air kit and have been waiting too long for his 3.5" MAFP to be made to complete the system. It should be soon but with the suck ass weather we've been getting in Mass. it doesn't matter. I can wait till June and hopefully then the weather will be nice.
IBBY

we have a 3" on my wagon and the 3.5 on the Mazda and Melissa's car. All work great .. Of course I went with the dummy translator. Plug it in an forget it . Big mafs on a stock car to me would be a waste of time BUT some NEED that cool guy look. SD chips are not for me.. ya that dummy thing comes back again. :p Look at all the people that have all the wiz bang adjustable "parts" that they can't get running right. :p

hello; Go with the 3.5" and that would be an upgrade the would be good for anything else you would want to do. IMO
IBBY

hello; Go with the 3.5" and that would be an upgrade the would be good for anything else you would want to do. IMO
IBBY

Guess he should go to at least a 3.5" downpipe to!! BIGGER isn't always BETTER :p

We were just at Richard Clarks place over the weekend and he tested both my stock MAF's on his Flow Bench, Then Richard tested my LT1 MAF and all tested good. Richard done a comparison test between the stock MAF and the LT1 MAF set at a constant flow number (lets use 180 gms of air per sec.) and without changing a single thing the LT1 MAF flowed over 100 gms of air more than the stocker!

Not to mention the LT1 MAF doesn't need special couplers to install it because the ends are the same size as the stock MAF, The LT1 is pretty much a direct replacement for the stock MAF.

Now with the translator plus and extender chip you have a bunch of tuning capability that will not be lost if your battery is disconnected.

Scot W.

Guess he should go to at least a 3.5" downpipe to!! BIGGER isn't always BETTER :p

hello; Yes you got something there but to me it seems the in air is better of an upgrade than the out on a TB and an upgraded exhaust. Better air cumming in and air going out in the form of a up graded exhaust. I'd leave the down the same dia. I know everythings got to work together so a pc. at a time is all sum people can do.
how do you like the weather in Bendover.
IBBY

hello; Are you looking for a used sensor like from a junk yard? That is one way to go but I went new. I still have my stock one and it seems they last a long time. But in favor of the 3" and the list you posted. You should be able to find one easy in case of failure.
goodluck
IBBY

.... good money spent.

X2. I had the EXACT SAME issues.

how do you like the weather in Bendover.
IBBY

rain for the next week .. good ol NE.. NOT just in Andover :p Oh back to the post.. Translator and MAF will work fine in a hot eng compartment to .. simple installation !!:eek::biggrin: