Competent turbo rebuilder(s)

kinda but not exactly. IC turbos are not carbon seal. you cannot draw thru them. they have to be converted first. connecting them is no problem, I have an adapter for just that..... but hood height is. like I said, I can build ya a 10 sec system. fitting it under the hood? good luck.
Ah... good point, that should have been a no brainier:rolleyes: So how much of a pain is it to carbon seal one?

yea I tried it with gas on the mechanical, and there was a large improvement in total power (drivability was completely out the window) due to the drop in inlet restriction, but I was still seeing a large issue with fuel shear at the 90*. this was leading to puddling and slosh that would drown the a cylinder.
How about using the cold side off a HA turbo?

now on pure meth, it was a very very different subject. there is massive power to be made in terms of just raw boost but sheer was still a major issue, especially with the rate of fuel volume that alchol needs, which is what... roughly double? i was worried that the huge amount of alcohol in the inlet stream would hydro lock the turbo.. but no major ill effects other than a spotless turbo.

A.j.
So with meth, it works great, but really really chity gas mileage:biggrin:

Im sorta curious here,

Say you take a weiand intake or whatever, and build a doghouse that makes about a 115 degree bend going toward the firewall and down. Then put a 2.5" barb on it and hook up a larger carbon sealed turbo to that? Then you loose the foot, intake, and get a little hood hight. Big problem there is, there is a good chance that the turbo gets too far back and hits the firewall.

I have a feeling that dropping the motor down an inch, doing a small drop on the turbo and either a combo of a cowl hood and a lower carb hat would get you low enough. Considering my carb hat hits the hood on a hard boost launch, I need to do somthing. Hopefully my new motor mounts help.

Might try that next year if I get ambitious.

Got a crazy idea to do a 97 cherokee 2dr in black with a 4.0 turbo though. have a feeling that will appear the first time I find a black 2dr.

Aj, you wouldnt mind measuring that weiand intake from the top of the carb flange to somthing that corresponds to a C/T intake would you?

Ah... good point, that should have been a no brainier:rolleyes: So how much of a pain is it to carbon seal one?:

not hard at all, but they dont exsist in large quantitys until now. I manufacture the backing plates. as for the pain, well now you all are at my mercy.

How about using the cold side off a HA turbo?:

waste of time. can only go as far as a TA33 in aftermarket form.

So with meth, it works great, but really really chity gas mileage:biggrin:

no no.... meth has its advantages due to its cooling propertys. I have no idea what milage is. but I see where you thought thats what I was reffering too... the Mechanical injection itself is not streetable... as there is no iding. only ON or OFF.

A.j.

Im sorta curious here,

Say you take a weiand intake or whatever, and build a doghouse that makes about a 115 degree bend going toward the firewall and down. Then put a 2.5" barb on it and hook up a larger carbon sealed turbo to that? Then you loose the foot, intake, and get a little hood hight. Big problem there is, there is a good chance that the turbo gets too far back and hits the firewall.

I have a feeling that dropping the motor down an inch, doing a small drop on the turbo and either a combo of a cowl hood and a lower carb hat would get you low enough. Considering my carb hat hits the hood on a hard boost launch, I need to do somthing. Hopefully my new motor mounts help.

Got a crazy idea to do a 97 cherokee 2dr in black with a 4.0 turbo though. have a feeling that will appear the first time I find a black 2dr.

Aj, you wouldnt mind measuring that weiand intake from the top of the carb flange to somthing that corresponds to a C/T intake would you?

Are we related?... You read my mind:biggrin: The other idea was moving the turbo/carb to the front of the motor(86/87 area) and moving it down lower to the front, then run a short pipe the the intake.... but not putting it directly in front of the motor, you don't want to block the air from the fan.

Im sorta curious here,

turbo is pushed too far back. places it way high and well, does a 2.5 inch screw barb sound like it flows any good?

the height is 2 3/4" difference.

A.j.

Its been done.

you guys dont listin to me and charlie do you. we have been talking about this for almost 2 years now. in one ear out the other.

theres a reason i wanted to switch over to the blower. time and time again, i couldnt get what i wanted out of that stupid 90* foot.

even with a 301 unit at 6152 size and freakin mechanical injection.

2c7.jpg

if you guys want to fight with it like I did then you can buy the system.

if you weigh under 2600lbs and have excellent traction this sytem will net you 10s with the right cam and heads.

Ive been building a new clean sheet draw thru system... its in the works so all of the old stuff has to go.

A.j.

i know you gus have been saying this for a long time..
the issue is that it wont fit under the stock hood right?

Are we related?... You read my mind:biggrin: The other idea was moving the turbo/carb to the front of the motor(86/87 area) and moving it down lower to the front, then run a short pipe the the intake.... but not putting it directly in front of the motor, you don't want to block the air from the fan.

you see. this is where your wrong.

you cant do that.

you guys have to remember this is a LIVE charge. you have to manage fuel puddling issues.

the carb and turbo must have a sloping path to the intake of the engine, for if there are any puddling issues you not creating a resivor of raw fuel that can slosh and drown your engine.

thats why I say you people dont listin to me and charlie. we have covered this 50 times already.

if it were that easy I would have done it already.

A.j.

turbo is pushed too far back. places it way high and well, does a 2.5 inch screw barb sound like it flows any good?

the height is 2 3/4" difference.

A.j.

Ish, thats like a 5 inch difference by the time you build a bend that flows good and get a larger turbo.

Wasnt planning in a industrial hose barb, just a inch long stub coming out of the bend and using a rubber connector. Soppose its just as easy to O ring it and run it like a stock 84/85 hot air but 90 degrees off.

Ish, thats like a 5 inch difference by the time you build a bend that flows good and get a larger turbo.

Wasnt planning in a industrial hose barb, just a inch long stub coming out of the bend and using a rubber connector. Soppose its just as easy to O ring it and run it like a stock 84/85 hot air but 90 degrees off.

Agh HA!

Now you see the struggle.

welcome to my garage.

A.j.

Agh HA!

Now you see the struggle.

welcome to my garage.

A.j.

Hehehe.

Now that you mention that you cant have a up slope it makes sense. I forgot all I knew about fuel dynamics there for a minute.

Is that why you chose the Luv? Sorta high fenders and no huge cross member to deal with. Besides weight at least.

With some modding to the hood, I think this setup would fit, but the flow is still the issue here.

i guess you could...
i made a custom hood for my car. i didnt like the hardwood cowl hood, they never match up with the header correctly.
but again is it worth all the trouble, i guess for you, and me who know how to do body work its not...

Attachments

• user20554_pic456_1260918194.jpg
    user20554_pic456_1260918194.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 103
I guess it would work with a regal hood. Just cut the hump out of the middle, and get another hood and cut the same hump out just longer, then add metal on the side. Then cut our the reinforcement and put more in. Wouldnt be like any aftermarket one, be way wider, and more stupid. I guess it would sorta work with an interpritation of the H/O cowl hood on an olds. Or dont have a hood!

I want to keep my car streetable though. Cant street drive a 5" cowl hooded cutlass. :eek:

Aj, you have any idea what CFM that carb foot tops out at?

I guess it would work with a regal hood. Just cut the hump out of the middle, and get another hood and cut the same hump out just longer, then add metal on the side. Then cut our the reinforcement and put more in. Wouldnt be like any aftermarket one, be way wider, and more stupid. I guess it would sorta work with an interpritation of the H/O cowl hood on an olds. Or dont have a hood!

I want to keep my car streetable though. Cant street drive a 5" cowl hooded cutlass. :eek:

Aj, you have any idea what CFM that carb foot tops out at?

you can always add a little hump near the carb with the addition of the cowl scoop.. if i had this scoop it would be very simple to do... the third picture may help some too guys, i saw this a while back on ebay.

Attachments

• picture820.jpg
    picture820.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 103
  • picture832.jpg
    picture832.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 110
  • !B3BSoiQBGk~$(KGrHqQOKjgEyPCBQWGYBMkq!07ci!~~_3.jpg
    !B3BSoiQBGk~$(KGrHqQOKjgEyPCBQWGYBMkq!07ci!~~_3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 99
you can always add a little hump near the carb with the addition of the cowl scoop.. if i had this scoop it would be very simple to do... the third picture may help some too guys, i saw this a while back on ebay.

The third pic does help... that`s what I was talking about... 86/87 location with a VERY short pipe.

Problem is the monte bump looks like barf on a cutlass hood. Its not clean enough. The outside line looks good on a monte and even a regal but the olds has the indented hood with the straight line and the bump has an angle.

I picked it up because it was there. Really wish the car wasnt stripped. Was a real nice one. T tops, turbo, center console with buckets car. Guy said he bought it from a guy that used it as a DD then wanted to dirt track it and stripped and threw EVERYTHING away. Life of a dirt tracker I guess.

picture935.jpg

picture829.jpg

Problem is the monte bump looks like barf on a cutlass hood. Its not clean enough. The outside line looks good on a monte and even a regal but the olds has the indented hood with the straight line and the bump has an angle.

I picked it up because it was there. Really wish the car wasnt stripped. Was a real nice one. T tops, turbo, center console with buckets car. Guy said he bought it from a guy that used it as a DD then wanted to dirt track it and stripped and threw EVERYTHING away. Life of a dirt tracker I guess.

picture935.jpg

picture829.jpg

i would be able to mold it in to look like the eclipse hood with a cowl too of course.

Attachments

• 95_eclipseb2front.jpg
    95_eclipseb2front.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 98
Yeah, the turbo monte did have one ugly hood... luckily for me, the 78-80 turbo hood is wider than the 81-87:biggrin:

1001253copy.jpg

5313221984buickgrandnat.jpg