Competent turbo rebuilder(s)

77amc

Good evening. I had picked up a trans AM CARB turbo a few years ago and already have the kit, just need someone to rebuild the center section.

8081firebirddrawthrutur.jpg

Who would know a COMPETENT rebuilder that won't steal parts or will stand behind their work..?

Thank you E

Look up junkbrick on the board. he rebuilds turbos and knows how to do the B4Black turbos. Reed is a very knowlegable guy and he can talk your ear off about them.

Thanks. I'll look him up and we'll talk. Well, that is after reading your thread about "how to build a B4black turbo"..

Shoulda never started another project without finishing the other 4-6:rolleyes:
I'm not sure if its' a blessing or curse..?

E

Look up junkbrick on the board. he rebuilds turbos and knows how to do the B4Black turbos. Reed is a very knowlegable guy and he can talk your ear off about them.

i see you talked to Reed. yea, he really knows his stuff.

i see you talked to Reed. yea, he really knows his stuff.

We spent 30 minutes talking and it was a good thing. He used to own a B4Black car and he offered me some info no one else had. Very informative for sure.:smile:

Well for one thing putting a 4.1 in it and using the 86-87 cam he got his car in the 12's solidly. Kinda what I was thinking but it's nice to know it's really that simple.:cool:

yea, Reed really knows his stuff.
thats all there is to it to get to the 12's?

He had to use the holley to tune it because he said there were flat spots in the Q-jet that he couldn't get rid of.He had put a bigger inducer wheen in it and a different exducer as well. He didn't think about using a bigger turbo and he thinks it's a very viable up-grade for these cars.

He had to use the holley to tune it because he said there were flat spots in the Q-jet that he couldn't get rid of.He had put a bigger inducer wheen in it and a different exducer as well. He didn't think about using a bigger turbo and he thinks it's a very viable up-grade for these cars.

so hes using the stock turbo... dammit I shoulda picked up that 4.1 awhile ago, if only i had an extra benjamin layin around. I have a 87 t-type cam for sale as well.

so hes using the stock turbo... dammit I shoulda picked up that 4.1 awhile ago, if only i had an extra benjamin layin around. I have a 87 t-type cam for sale as well.

from what it sounds like, he machined bigger blades into the housing.

Me too. My uncle and I were rebuilding one back in `02, but he had to move and we had no way to move or store it, so he sold it:mad:... that was a stupid move!

im still kicking myself for not getting that 4.1 if i were to get it i probably would leave it NA though.

How come there isn't a "$$" with all the talk of doing this or that?
Machining each end for a bigger ____ costs _____?
C/F or ceramic inducer costs ____?
Balancing costs ____?

I sumize that it's:
Inducer = intake
Exducer = exhaust? (she has a nice Exducer housing..?:biggrin:)

What was the weight of Reeds' vehicle that was in the 12's?
Heck, my little Mighty Max is probably only 2600lbs (well, that's with the stock cast iron 2.6L engine.. BUT STILL..!)
maxside4quest002.jpg

E

How come there isn't a "$$" with all the talk of doing this or that?
Machining each end for a bigger ____ costs _____?
C/F or ceramic inducer costs ____?
Balancing costs ____?

I sumize that it's:
Inducer = intake
Exducer = exhaust? (she has a nice Exducer housing..?:biggrin:)

What was the weight of Reeds' vehicle that was in the 12's?
Heck, my little Mighty Max is probably only 2600lbs (well, that's with the stock cast iron 2.6L engine.. BUT STILL..!)
maxside4quest002.jpg

E

if you want Reeds number, he can tell you all that. but some i can
86/87 reman exducer wheel $100
balancing $35 plus return shipping
Reed owns a turbo shop, so, he can tell you everything you need to know.

if you want Reeds number, he can tell you all that. but some i can
86/87 reman exducer wheel $100
balancing $35 plus return shipping
Reed owns a turbo shop, so, he can tell you everything you need to know.

Boy you have no idea Matt.:biggrin: Matt's right though. Reed knows more about turbos than you want to know.:cool:

I got a 87 GN turbo with a bad thrust berring and no exhaust housing for $20.

The hole bigger compressor isnt hard at all. I was going to get mine CNC'd but I got lost in dimensions and am just doing it by hand.