Competent turbo rebuilder(s)

I got a 87 GN turbo with a bad thrust berring and no exhaust housing for $20.

The hole bigger compressor isnt hard at all. I was going to get mine CNC'd but I got lost in dimensions and am just doing it by hand.

You can't be accurate enough enough by hand to make the housing bigger. You will ruin the housing. You at least need a lathe to get it properly centered.

Yeah, im using a lathe but just doing it by hand on the lathe. What I mean is Im not using a CNC lathe. All I need is a 7/16" radius quarter round cutting bit and im in business.

It's gonna be later maybe. I'm getting parts from some members and need to save up some for turbo work..
I've got just too many projects going on..

One other turbo project is putting a Mitsubishi turbo engine/rwd trans/Chrysler Conquest IRS into a 77 AMC Hornet. The engine will be a 1.6 that should be pumping out close to 275hp. Then after all the bugs get worked out, a 2.4 mitsu truck engine converted to all the Talon/eclipse turbo assy in it's place since they're pretty much the same size externally.. Looking to be around 450-500hp if this world lasts that long to were I finish it..

I think that I'll be talking to Reed for a while. Good thing I get soo many min on my phone.

E

or you can pay me 450 and get a bolt on TA33.

no building and has a 90 day warrenty. I have my own turbo shop as well.

OR

I can sell you a complete decent used core turbo for 125.

why rebuild the cheesy stock center when theres tons available.

A..j.

Boy you have no idea Matt.:biggrin: Matt's right though. Reed knows more about turbos than you want to know.:cool:

i just went through all this. so, i have a good idea of pricing now. i even had to get a reman exhaust blade, becasuse no one had any good ones.

Attachments

• SDC10627.jpg
    SDC10627.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 154
or you can pay me 450 and get a bolt on TA33.

no building and has a 90 day warrenty. I have my own turbo shop as well.

OR

I can sell you a complete decent used core turbo for 125.

why rebuild the cheesy stock center when theres tons available.

A..j.

Been wondering if you'd catch this or not Aj.:biggrin: Glad to see you one here bud.:cool:

AJ, What do you mean by "there's tons"??
I could use a exploded view of the turbo itself. OF course I pulled it apart to get a looksee and now its' residing in a plastic tub.

BUT Captain 'remember where the heck things are' doesn't seem to come around much anymore.. I think he's playin golf with 'hey, watch what I can do'
Just my new friends, 'What else can I do while I'm down here' and 'here's your cheaters' try and help whenever they can.

I have a knock off t3/t4 sitting. Swapped some R1 autocross tires for it.
Don't know much about it though.
I'll try and post a pic or two here in the next few days.

E

AJ, What do you mean by "there's tons"??
I could use a exploded view of the turbo itself. OF course I pulled it apart to get a looksee and now its' residing in a plastic tub.

BUT Captain 'remember where the heck things are' doesn't seem to come around much anymore.. I think he's playin golf with 'hey, watch what I can do'
Just my new friends, 'What else can I do while I'm down here' and 'here's your cheaters' try and help whenever they can.

I have a knock off t3/t4 sitting. Swapped some R1 autocross tires for it.
Don't know much about it though.
I'll try and post a pic or two here in the next few days.

E

Tons, as in I have so many I throw most of them away when they go bad. so yes. why rebuild outdated non desired turbos when decent cores can be had for cheep.

as for an exploded view, its fairly easy to find. but if you cant find one, I have what you need.

A.j.

Hopefully my memory is working correctly in that it seemed like a usable turbo before I disassembled it..
But how much of, "no shaft play" is just carbon build up that after its' cleaned will NOW wobble because the gunk is cleaned away?

There wasn't oil coating the whole inside showing a bad seal, and the fins looked fairly nice and complete without (that much) scoring or chunks missing.

How much clearance do the impellers need past the housing?

If one takes the shafts apart, does it throw it out of balance to install new seals and just screw it back together?

And what about a dedicated oil cooler/system just for the turbo?

Thanks Errol

If you want to take a look at a tear down of one you can click on the second link in my sig. It's the turbo I've been working on so it should give you some idea of what the parts look like.

Well for one thing putting a 4.1 in it and using the 86-87 cam he got his car in the 12's solidly. Kinda what I was thinking but it's nice to know it's really that simple.:cool:

That's a no brainer. Until SOMEBODY:rolleyes: in the carb turbo world gets their car together it seems like with the stock draw thru setup you aren't going to get fast times with just boost alone, gonna need cubes. THis is what I originally wanted to do with my friend's car untill he wussed out and sold it. Just by looking at the stock draw thru setup its obviously holding back power potential. Stock turbo SFI cars are running 11s and the carb turbo cars are barely running 12s. I think the biggest pain in the ass on these motors is the intake and the compressor foot. I'm waiting for somebody to say the hell with it and cut an intake open and see what's really going on in there. It can't be good.

That's a no brainer. Until SOMEBODY:rolleyes: in the carb turbo world gets their car together it seems like with the stock draw thru setup you aren't going to get fast times with just boost alone, gonna need cubes. THis is what I originally wanted to do with my friend's car untill he wussed out and sold it. Just by looking at the stock draw thru setup its obviously holding back power potential. Stock turbo SFI cars are running 11s and the carb turbo cars are barely running 12s. I think the biggest pain in the ass on these motors is the intake and the compressor foot. I'm waiting for somebody to say the hell with it and cut an intake open and see what's really going on in there. It can't be good.

This is an I idea that has been farting around in my head for years... why not use a high rise 4b intake and 86/87 turbo with something like this: 4 BARREL MANIFOLD - C76-140 at The Chassis Shop or just make your own... maybe a more flat one that will fit under the hood better.

Sure you may have to mount the turbo/carb in a funny spot, weld new pipes and the kick down cable might be an issue, but the point is that it should have much better flow right?... like a blow through.

Its been done.

you guys dont listin to me and charlie do you. we have been talking about this for almost 2 years now. in one ear out the other.

theres a reason i wanted to switch over to the blower. time and time again, i couldnt get what i wanted out of that stupid 90* foot.

even with a 301 unit at 6152 size and freakin mechanical injection.

2c7.jpg

if you guys want to fight with it like I did then you can buy the system.

if you weigh under 2600lbs and have excellent traction this sytem will net you 10s with the right cam and heads.

Ive been building a new clean sheet draw thru system... its in the works so all of the old stuff has to go.

A.j.

Yes yes good good Sh!t can that oem drawthru intake manifold and turbocharger haha.

I know about the oem one... I`v seen that photo plenty of times Aj, hell, I saved it in my photos:rolleyes: I`m talking about using a bigger, better turbo that doesn't have that stupid 90* foot.

I know about the oem one... I`v seen that photo plenty of times Aj, hell, I saved it in my photos:rolleyes: I`m talking about using a bigger, better turbo that doesn't have that stupid 90* foot.

What's the reason the IC turbo can't be used? (besides fabbing of couse) Is there a space constraint?

far from oem, its a 6152. but still retained 90* foot.

as for what your saying, im in the process right now.

The Carbon Seal Back Plate is the Key.

A.j.

far from oem, its a 6152. but still retained 90* foot.

as for what your saying, im in the process right now.

The Carbon Seal Back Plate is the Key.

A.j.

I was planning on doing what you did in the photo and then you beat me to it:biggrin: Then I started thinking, why not use an IC turbo and tall intake and fab up a way to connect them.

Cool, is that the crazy mechanical FI one your making?:biggrin:

I was planning on doing what you did in the photo and then you beat me to it:biggrin: Then I started thinking, why not use an IC turbo and tall intake and fab up a way to connect them.

kinda but not exactly. IC turbos are not carbon seal. you cannot draw thru them. they have to be converted first. connecting them is no problem, I have an adapter for just that..... but hood height is. like I said, I can build ya a 10 sec system. fitting it under the hood? good luck.

Cool, is that the crazy mechanical FI one your making?:biggrin:

yea I tried it with gas on the mechanical, and there was a large improvement in total power (drivability was completely out the window) due to the drop in inlet restriction, but I was still seeing a large issue with fuel shear at the 90*. this was leading to puddling and slosh that would drown the a cylinder.

now on pure meth, it was a very very different subject. there is massive power to be made in terms of just raw boost but sheer was still a major issue, especially with the rate of fuel volume that alchol needs, which is what... roughly double? i was worried that the huge amount of alcohol in the inlet stream would hydro lock the turbo.. but no major ill effects other than a spotless turbo.

A.j.