cold starting problems

motroman

I can't figure out what's going on but I'm tired of dealing with it and want to fix it. Everything is running great on the GN except when I try to start the car when the engine is cold,.. like overnight cold. Then, I have to crank it three or four times, for about 5-10 seconds each, before it starts. Once it starts, everything is okay. It runs fine and I can start it again with the engine warm. So, what's going on?

Thanks

fuel pump relay

Does the fuel pump prime when the key is first turned on?
Sounds like you don't have pressure when first starting.

You know, I don't know. What I'll do this morning is turn the key on for a few seconds before engaging the starter. That will hopefully prime the pump. Thanks.

You were right on. I left the ignition on for about 15 seconds this morning before engaging the starter and the car started right up. So, it sounds like a fuel pump issue. Does this mean I need a new fuel pump?

Try a fuel filter first,check valve for pump maybe bad or pump maybe on its way out.Check to see how long FP gauge reading maintains pressure after shutting car off.

motroman said:
You were right on. I left the ignition on for about 15 seconds this morning before engaging the starter and the car started right up. So, it sounds like a fuel pump issue. Does this mean I need a new fuel pump?
Leaving the key on doesn't do anything for you,because the computer only sends voltage to the fuel pump for 1-2 secounds if it doesn't see a crank reference signal. You could have a fuel pump relay that works intermittantly. If your relay doesn't send power to the pump,it will receive power through the oil pressure switch if you crank long enough to build oil pressure. Once a certain amount of pressure is created the oil pressure switch closes and turns the oil light out. When this happens,voltage is also sent to the fuel pump. As suicide six said,check the filter first.

Well, that's the first step next week. Change the fuel filter and then check the relay. If that doesn't cure the problem, then it's probably the fuel pump. It's still perplexing that I only have this problem when the engine is cold. Thanks for the info.

This just in,..it's the fuel pump. Everything else checked okay but the pump was just about dead.

motroman said:
This just in,..it's the fuel pump. Everything else checked okay but the pump was just about dead.
Aint it nice to have your car back?