Coil pack for tr6

Green, Close the gap. A couple people, Bison one of them recommended it. Fixed the issue. From studying what dwell time is and trying to make some sense of it, it appears it may be an issue related. Each car, build, demands are different and cause different demands on the coil to operate properly.

Green, Close the gap. A couple people, Bison one of them recommended it. Fixed the issue. From studying what dwell time is and trying to make some sense of it, it appears it may be an issue related. Each car, build, demands are different and cause different demands on the coil to operate properly.
Ive already sent my tr6 back to bob,he will report back with any finds he can.
I have the orig ign back in .Running fine
ive ran 28# with plugs @.040 with the tr6 no issues.
But a few months ago it just out of the blue started breaking up up top.

the TR6 definitely does not 'under dwell' the coils. I'm more thinking of reasons the coil is not delivering what it should.

the amount of gap you can run depends on several things. as the pressure in the cylinder increases, there comes a point where the spark chooses not to jump the gap, and this is affected by the type of plug, temperature, and deposits on the porcelain.

on the 84/85 cars there is a resistance wire in the engine harness that limits the available power to the coil. thus my question to Toby.

in any case, we will nail this down.

Bob

IMO there is nothing to be gained running these ridiculously high gaps in high boost application and just asking for trouble. I'm sure the spark looks good and healthy firing in atmospheric conditions but is much different in a closed cylinder under a lot of pressure. Obviously like stated above many factors goes into the optimum gap but the safest bet is to run the gap down to no more than .025 and even .020 is better. If you do a general internet search you will find guys with very powerful coils and CDI ignitions still running there gaps down.
The objective is to have the gap set so its guaranteed to fire in worst conditions possible under the highest boost running the hardest fuel to ignite and have some margin on top of that.
AG.

Last edited:
the TR6 definitely does not 'under dwell' the coils. I'm more thinking of reasons the coil is not delivering what it should.

the amount of gap you can run depends on several things. as the pressure in the cylinder increases, there comes a point where the spark chooses not to jump the gap, and this is affected by the type of plug, temperature, and deposits on the porcelain.

on the 84/85 cars there is a resistance wire in the engine harness that limits the available power to the coil. thus my question to Toby.

in any case, we will nail this down.

Bob

I was using NGK UR5 with .032 gap fyi. And I believe most of us here are NOT using the hot air 84 harness.

Isn't the NGK UR5 an extended tip plug?
I had issues with the extended tip, pre ignition is bad . Install a set of non extended tip plugs..

Bryan

Haha ...i assumed that there were different plugs in that Line. ..

Well that is definitely an extended tip plug

Bryan

Mine are stock, ur5 plugs, car would have left me stranded if I didn't have a stock module/coil pack in the trunk. Let's hope Bob can get this figured out as this thread is going no where.

Bryan,

I have champion irons with upgraded pac 1201 springs, roller cam 212,212,, td rockers, etc...all the way opened up as much as an iron can breathe

UR5 is projected tip
YR5 is non projected
Both work well for me
As for the coil issue I run individual coils with my plugs gapped around 32 for lean cruise the bigger gap helps the lean stumble.
The only issue I have had was a code 42 on start up after my car sat in the rain all day.
Shut it down restarted and away it went

Ive already sent my tr6 back to bob,he will report back with any finds he can.
I have the orig ign back in .Running fine
ive ran 28# with plugs @.040 with the tr6 no issues.
But a few months ago it just out of the blue started breaking up up top.

Green,

You ever get an answer or issue with the TR6 addressed?

I recently swapped plugs and found the gap was quite a bit wider than what I had set it at. I think the extra spark energy is eating the plugs. I run LS coils but I wonder if the plugs are part of the premature failure you see with the waste spark coils?