Coil pack for tr6

GNRick

Retired member
Was going down hwy with cruise on at 70 mph and car started to sputter. Pulled off hwy and it died out. This happened a couple times, car would restart but was hard to keep running. With car idling i wiggled connector at tr6 and motor stumbled. I swapped out tr6/coil with stock module/coil in order to get home. Re-installed TR6 with new D599a coil and all is well, at least for in town driving. I'm hoping that fixed it. The coil was only 2 y.O. with about 15 k miles. Anybody else have one go bad? Just wondering if I should be changing it every year.

i think phone guy did early on when the tr6 came out but he was running a wide gap

I had one fail, and it is ironic that I am reading this as I believe I have another one going out. I have hesitation at 3/4 throttle and a small back fire. All my numbers look good on the PL, so it seems to be electrical. If this is the second one to go out, this would be one each BWD, and an AC delco

Toby it might also be your crank sensor but the coil is easy enough to change. Let us know what you find.

I didn't get a check engine light code if that is what you mean, when my crank sensor acted up.

If you are referring to the led inside of the tr6 then I don't know as I didn't check that.

If you are referring to the led inside of the tr6 then I don't know as I didn't check that.
If anything goes wrong with any of the sensors that it uses to function it will throw a code and flash not only on the led but also on the rpm led as well.

Plug gap killing the coils??
I looked at the 3.5 and 3.6 Buick engines, that are reported to use this coil. The gaps were listed as:
3.5L = .062
3.6L = .043

Not sure. I am wondering why I keep killing them. I believe this second one is toast as well. If it is, that would mean two brands fried in a couple thousand miles, and i am running .032 FWIW. This may be something that needs researched as to why it is happening. It could be heat, bad ecm, bad grounds... However I "think" I am safe on all those points.

So you booth are not running a GM Brand coil?

I roasted a BWD, and I am currently using a GM. I have a warranty with the BWD and I just picked it up this AM, so I am confident it is good. We will see if the condition goes away. If it does, there is an issue.

The GM units on amazon are real reasonable. I wouldnt mess with another vender for the price.

Glad it was just a wire. My coil was bought from full throttle at the same time I bought the tr6. Don't know what brand it was.

I've purchase a coil from AutoZone, O'Reilly, and I believe Bob when I ordered tr6.
Every one of them has the same two sets of numbers stamped on them with An ac Delco stamp on themalso.
Another O'Reilly one was the same exact but had the two stamped numbers and ac Delco stamp in the same exact spots as the others, but was grinded down so you couldn't see it.
The prices were from 59 to 100$.
All exactly the same ac Delco coils.