Code 41-Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

5L33P3R

Yes, Junior Member
Hey everybody, haven't posted here in a while since I only drive this brick in the summer. Any way, today I was trying to fix a cam sensor code and have been unsuccessful. What I have done is tried adjusting the cam in one direction to the other with no success. Next I installed a new cap - did not fix anything. Lastly I traced wires for continuity between cam and coil (lt. blue wire), between coil and ecm (yellow wire - now I don't know if this is right). Anyhow, there was continuity and no shorts to ground on these two wires so I'm kinda stuck:confused: BTW, the car starts just fine and runs reasonably well I just want to get rid of these codes before I get a TT chip. Thanks for any help! -Len

With the engine starting and running that means that the ignition module is seeing the cam sensor signal. And that it is close to the correct location, or 180 out.

Being waste spark the cam signal can be 180 out and the proper plugs still fire. And the signal is close enough to the proper position relative to TDC that the correct pair of spark plugs fire.

This leaves the cam signal being passed on to the ECM. If the wiring is good then I'd venture that either the ignition module is bad or the ECM is bad.

Just to be sure, this turns on the SES every time you start the engine? If not, then it was probably caused sometime in the past and the code is still stored.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Yeah, it sets off the SES light every time the engine is started. Problem is nobody I know has a TR to swap parts with. I read somewhere that a newer ignition mod could be substituted do you know if this is true? -Len

Also, just to be sure, I was testing the right wires correct? There was some "educated" guessing as the only reference I had was a low quality scan of the engine wiring. Oh, and I have reset the ECM between cam adjustments and cap changes so it's not an old code. Thanks again.

The yellow wire to pin A11 on the ECM is the cam signal. So as long as the yellow you checked is on A11 it is the correct one.

My understanding is that many of the front wheel drive Buicks with the 3.8L engine run the same ignition module/coils. Not long ago someone here posted a list of cars that used compatible modules/coils.

From what I've seen in the JY's there are quite a few that look to be identical, so I don't doubt that they would be compatible.

The '7148 ECM was also used in some front wheel drive Buicks. So there are other sources for them besides GN's & turbo cars.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thank you guys for the info! Hopefully I can get this fixed now that I have atleast some direction to go in. -Len