no spark troubleshooting

Yes jump across the coils. It's similar to caspers tester that sits on top of the coils and test spark. You won't be able to rapid fire it like the tester but you can crank the motor and see if the coil is working.

I had the exact same issue a couple of years ago, tired everything you did so far.

I took out the chip and put in my emission chip to see and my car fired right up. For whatever reason my chipped crapped out, if you have a spare I would try it.

I had the exact same issue a couple of years ago, tired everything you did so far.

I took out the chip and put in my emission chip to see and my car fired right up. For whatever reason my chipped crapped out, if you have a spare I would try it.
I tried a different chip.....replaced my TT e85 chip with a TT 93 chip. I didn't think it was the source of the problem....but wanted to eliminate one more variable.

quick update:
tried another known good coil\ign module.....no spark or inj pulse. this brings the total to 4 that I've tried. Of the 4, 3 give me no inj pulse and no spark......the other gives inj pulse only.

replaced the crank sensor and verified gap.

checked ign module ground. cleaned/checked other grounds.

working through the no start tree.......I get 5 volts at both the crank and cam sensor signal wires. the recommended range is 6-9 volts. is 5 volts low enough to prevent the car from starting? what would be a cause of voltage being below the 6-9 volt range?

I probed a few wires at the ecm....with key in run I get 11 volts at A11......which is normal....... and only .5 volts at B5........what would cause b5 to be so low?

Recently my buddies car had a no spark issue. We tried EVERYTHING X3....

Changed engine harness and it fired right up. Who knows what was wrong, who cares now. But it ran, then it ran bad, then it ran like crap, then it didn't run at all...

thug life.

That's taking a shot in the dark and getting lucky. At this point to op needs to find someone who knows the car and stop throwing parts at it.

That's taking a shot in the dark and getting lucky. At this point to op needs to find someone who knows the car and stop throwing parts at it.
Up to this point, Ive been working through the no start tree, replacing parts based on feedback from troubleshooting. In my mind that is not considered "throwing parts at it". Also I've been corresponding over email with someone that knows the car (Steve Wood). This issue has pretty well stumped him as none of the usual fixes addresses the problem. This is likely a wiring/connection issue......just got to keep at it until I find the cause.

Then get out the dvm and start ohming the wires. Or bring me the car and I'll have it running in no time.

Last edited: