CODE 41 HELP!

MONSTER GN

Ok...of course an issue as always with this gem of an 87.(not) so today i was doing some tinkering trying to figure out my false knock. I ended up hooking up my map sensor and car ran great! No knock or nething. But as soon as i fired it up i got a code 41. I got this code in the past and replaced the cam sensor with a caspers. It worked great for several weeks until now. Now the car wont start. I disconnect ecm and reset it would fire up but CEL would return. I did this several times until now, the vehicle refused to start, is their anything im missing what could be the issue here? I checked my base timing and its good. I checked pin A11 earlier and i had 12v....might of had the wrong wire (it was yellow) and this was in the blue connector on the ECM. What else could possibly be the issue? This car is driving me insane....of course my false knock came back now so im at a loss...any help would be greatly appreciated

Hooked up your map sensor?? Then it ran better??:cautious: The map sensor has nothing to do with any engine functions. It simply runs the boost lights in the dash. Unless the car was converted to speed density with a SD chip aftermarket ECM.

Caspers led cam sensor caps are known to cause issues. Do you still have your stock one? I would throw that back on for starters.

Typical causes for code 41:

1) Loose or misadjusted Cam Sensor
2) Defective Cam Sensor-to-ECM connections
3) Defective ECM

Rick

yea i got the original one somewhere. it was just weird how i hooked up the map to manifold vacuum and the car did change noticebly in the way it idled. I disconnected MAP to no avail. One day the car ran great for hours. I turned it off and went to fire it up and it was cross firing and wouldnt run, it fired fine in the morning of course. Ive tried different ignition modules as well.

When weird and unusual happening are showing their ugly side with electrical gremlins with no logical codes showing, my first item to replace is the ECM.

There is no logic when this happens, so changing parts is the only method to try and find the issue or issues?

Within the last 2 weeks 2 ECM's have kicked the bucket, and I surmise the summer heat and the age of a 30 year old piece of electronics is causing lots of different issues.

One of my street drivers ran like crap on my 20 mile trip home, and my scanner showed 14 different codes!

Another ECM cured the problem. :)

I was talking to another guy from here over the weekend. He said his car did the same thing with the crossfiring and slam firing, he ended up getting a whole new/used cam sensor assembly and it cured his issue. Prolly going to go with GNS rebuild service, any thoughts on my cam sensor being slightly out of wack?

The caspers cam sensor cap is great, and helped me get it close when i had mine rebuilt by GNS (by the way, great service.) I had mine on for a few weeks and it threw a code 41. no drive-ability problems besides when it decided to throw the code(it went off and on a few times) I put the old cap back on and not a problem since. I'll have to get my caspers cap checked our or replaced. If you do replace the cam sensor make sure to follow one of the guides on here, luckily i did otherwise i could have broken something.

Listen to Nick and try a known working ECM first.

I can loan you one if needed.

Why spend the money on parts before you have diagnosed the problem?

Update...swapped out the old cam sensor cap and no issues, been driving it for several hours and so far so good. anybody know where i can get a good quality cap thats not a caspers? i sent it into kirbans and they are going to exchange it for me, from the research ive done it kinda seems like the caspers units arent that good

You can get an entire unit, cap and body, from Advance for $255 shipped. (and a $20 coupon if you're a speedperks member). Just pay for it online and use TRT30 for the discount code.

I'm surprised they don't the cap by itself.

yea, ive exhausted all my resources for parts through all my local vendors, and they cannot get me just the cap. So its looking like i might have to buy the whole unit just so i can have it readily available for the next break down lol