Chirping sound (increases during accelerating)

rssooner

Hello everyone

My 87 GN has a chirping like sound and I'm pretty sure it's my speedometer cable but I wanted to shoot a message out to confirm. The noise increases as I accelerate and slows down when I slow down. It sounds like it is coming from the dash in front of the steering wheel.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks a lot.

RS

pretty easy to unscrew the speedo cable from the transmission and go up the street.

Lube the hood bumper on the center of the firewall too. That thing squeaks and sounds just like it's the dash.

Thanks a lot. Sounds like this may be a project.

Actually its not to hard, ive taken care of it in less than 15 minutes. Patience if its your 1st time. I like to remove the trim under the column which should expose the bottom portion of your dash. Next i like to drop the column which is being held up by two nuts i believe they are 15mm . Once the column drops i take off the speedo bezel and remove all the screw that hold the dash in place. Once it's free reach around back and loosen speedo cable has like a spring release. Also be sure to slowly remove some of your warning bulbs. I then generously slap some vaseline or hd grease in the speedo housing and cable. Should be quite after that.