Changing boost level

wilkinshc

Some Throttle More Bottle
Using hed edit, what lines adjust boost level and what symbol equal what level of boost? Looking to adjust the intial level of boost from 15 to 25. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Chuck

25lbs :eek: :eek:

Are you sure you want to try this?? Why?? You do realize it isn't just a matter of "turning up the wick". There are lots of other things involved in making more power.
But, if you want to blow out your headgaskets, here's the boost section of the chip file

77F, 0, 0, 0.0, Wastegate duty cycle vs RPM, 1600
780, 0, 0, 0.0, Wastegate duty cycle vs RPM, 2000
781, AA, 170, 14.7, Wastegate duty cycle vs RPM, 2400
782, AA, 170, 14.7, Wastegate duty cycle vs RPM, 2800
783, AA, 170, 14.7, Wastegate duty cycle vs RPM, 3200
784, AA, 170, 14.7, Wastegate duty cycle vs RPM, 3600
785, AA, 170, 14.7, Wastegate duty cycle vs RPM, 4000
786, AA, 170, 14.7, Wastegate duty cycle vs RPM, 4400
787, AA, 170, 14.7, Wastegate duty cycle vs RPM, 4800
788, AA, 170, 14.7, Wastegate duty cycle vs RPM, 5200
789, AA, 170, 14.7, Wastegate duty cycle vs RPM, 5600
78A, AA, 170, 14.7, Wastegate duty cycle vs RPM, 6000
78B, AA, 170, 14.7, Wastegate duty cycle vs RPM, 6400

That's the stock boost profile BTW.

BTW, even inserting FF(h) in the file will only yeild 22lbs of boost, assuming everything is perfect, and even then you'd need an adjsutable wastegate actuator, cranked way in to get 25# of boost.

I would strongly recommend you learn a whole lot more about what's going on in these chips before you start hacking around, especially with something as radical as turning the boost up so high. If this is an attempt at a race chip then there's lots more to think about!!!

Chuck
They start at 77F and go to 78B (1600 to 6400 RPM) The letter and number codes are combinations eg. AA =14.7 EA =20.2
If you go to the GNTTYPE.ORG site look in the chip and ECM area and you will find a Excel spreadsheet put together by Turbo Dave, and you can plug in the numbers and letter codes (in the HEX column, 2nd from the left side) and it will tell you what the boost will be. (You will figure how the letter/number combos work the more you play with them) The sheet is very handy to help you find all the different areas you will want to adjust. (Kudo's and thanks to Dave)
Just a friendly word of caution, go easy on the boost if you are using the stock timing tables and pump gas. Keep your eye on KR. :)

Paul

Thanks for the help guys,

I have been using the Turbo Six Tuner by BM Computers. The software has most of the tables to adjust but not the boost level. I don't plan on just switching it to 25lb right away but need the info to adjust from 15lbs, 16lbs, and thru to 25lbs for a thumbwheel setup. Bob is going to add a table for boost but has not yet. I am still in the learning phase but am getting a fair grasp of what to adjust and how much.

Again Thanks for the info, the spreadsheet is what I was looking for.

Chuck

I was looking at the table so now if

1. I was to insert "FF" where the "AA" is it would give 22lbs of boost?

2. I was to insert "EA" it would be 20.2 lbs of boost?

3. The letters inbetween would adjust in scale?

If I am those questions are correct is there a table with what letters equal what boost or do you just have to experiment?

Thanks
Chuck

I think the boost pressure in the spreadsheet is an approximation. The table is really controlling the wastegate solenoid duty cycle, telling the solenoid to be fully open, fully closed, or somewhere in between.

With the solenoid fully closed, the boost you'll get will be the same as if you ran a hose straight from the compressor to the wastegate actuator and didn't have the solenoid at all.

With the solenoid fully open, it will be like the same setup but with the hose leaking a bunch due to a tear or something similar. The actual boost you'll see will be a matter of experimentation.

The higher % open you command the solenoid, the higher your boost will be as it bleeds off signal to the wastegate. I'd just step it up in increments and see what each value does rather than relying on the calculated boost value.

The specific turbo, intercooler, downpipe, etc... all have some effect on how much duty cycle = some specific boost level. The classic examples are changing downpipes or intercoolers and having to adjust the wastegate rod to get back to the original boost level. The wastegate duty cycle commanded has remained the same, but the equipment installed has affected the boost level achieved.

John

You are right. If you play a little with the letter number combos. The numbers run 0 to 9 and the letters run A to F. It is the combination of these that give the value.

Start with a letter for a base and then go up the scale with numbers as the second value. eg. A1 then try A2,A3... till A9.

Then use letters as the second value. eg. AA then AB,AC... till AF.

Then go to B as the base and repeat the number 0-9 letter A-F
You will start to see the pattern.

HTH
Paul